Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Heroes, and Warriors...................

25K views 52 replies 23 participants last post by  royalrentals 
#1 ·
I have been blessed by knowing many. I remember them all, the ones that taught me, and the ones I trained. I remember those that gave their lives in peace as well as conflict, I remember those that sacrificed themselves so that I could go on, Mike laid his body on a Grenade sheilding those of us from the majority of the blast that surely would have killed me and 25 others in close proximity. 6 were wounded with schrappnel, I came out physically unscathed..............................
There are those that in dress uniform could hardly stand straight from the medals on their chest, that you never would have guessed by the humble humility they showed................ earned when as they put it, were just doing what they needed to do.........................
Every conflict, War, has it's detractors, we are free to express our displeasures as Americans, because we have Warriors willing to give up these freedoms in order to defend ours.
I THANK EACH AND EVERY ONE THAT HAS OR IS CURRENTLY DOING SO

#8 ·
And he'd do it again given the opertunity...

How soon we all forget...

People die in the streets of Boston and every major city every day, our schools are no longer a safe place for our childern to be educated, why are the good people at Berkly not protesting these crimes, instead of protesting the people that give them the right to do so!, sex offenders and hard core criminals get set free on technicalities every day....all because of the freedome that our fore fathers and our sons and daughters fought for and still fight to preserve.... I'd like to see them try a demonstration like that in Cuba!

As long as people have a differance of opinion, there will be fighting, as long as some have freedom and some dont, there will be fighting.. someone has to be sure that the majority remains safe... our Men and women of the UNITED STATES MILLITARY do exactly that... we as AMERICANS need to support them...if you dont, move to another country and go protest... sooner or latter you'll be part of the 6 oclock news when some terrorist stands in front of the camera with YOUR head in their hand....

Good post Gunney.. I somehow missed this one first time around.

#9 ·
It's extremely difficult for those who have never participated, to understand the love and loyalty. When you eat , sleep, curse, cry,laugh and hold each others lives in your hands, it's becomes a bond that no one ever forgets. I've been twice blessed ( military and long fire dept career ). Both became my family. I loved them all.

GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY

#10 ·

Words cant express our gratitude properly for our heroes.
Salute to our Heroes thread

"The simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in and how many want out."
Tony Blair

An 18-months old, leans on the Lima Company
Memorial next to her father's name, hospital medic Travis
Youngblood, during the unveiling of a monument with the
names of all 215 servicemen who served with Lima Company
in Iraq.

Attachments

#11 ·
A year has passed and not much has really changed.
I have noticed and understand why, the war zone news coverage has somewhat disappeared from the nightly tirade it once was.
Young men still answer the call of duty and serve us proudly, protecting our freedoms in the face of enemies that would just as soon kill a bunch of kids in a day care center in downtown Manhatten.
Again I say I am proud to have known men such as these and still do know many wearing one of the uniforms of our military services. When monday comes around and the family is enjoying the first big cookout of the year, look to the skies and say a little Thank You to the guy's up there that continue to guard heavens gates from all enemies foreign and domestic.

Semper Fidelis, and God Bless our guy's in Uniform.

Even you Johansen!

#17 ·
I love serving......I just hate how people want to get the troops out of Iraq saying that they shouldn't be there and all this other garbage. First off, the media has such a big influence on people that it makes me sick.....I've heard thousands of stories on the TV about how US troops are dying and innocent Iraqi civilians are being killed. I very rarely hear about the good things that happen, like how US troops build schools and provide food and electricity to the Iraqi people. The media doesn't like the war.....knowing that they have an influence on the public they broadcast bad things about the war which is totally unfair. I wish for one evening I could have 100 Marines who've served in Iraq go on national TV and for one hour tell the real stories about what happens over there.

The other thing is that 100% of the troops over in Iraq want to be there...there's something that they are doing that the media just doesn't see. Even the troops who claim that they don't want to be there and are against the war, deep down they know they want to be over there. Why? Because if they leave they are letting down their fellow Marines, soldiers, airman etc.

#18 ·
Brian, You understand, and feel the term, the motto, the way of life, of a Marine, "Semper Fidelis" isn't a couple of words used to recruit new guy's. It's how we face each day, in or out of the Corps. It's how we treat the people around us and deal with the world. I am happy to see that the bulb burns bright and strong in you in such a short time. A lot of young Marines don't get it until they near the end of their first enlistment, and in some cases until they are back out on the streets and see the change in themselves.
The media was a pain in my ass for my entire career. I hated reporters and loathed the people in charge that slanted everything that made the paper or appeared on the nightly news. Many times I would watch a story that I was actually involved in and want to throw a brick at my TV because what was reported was a work of fiction.
I now have 5 Iraq vets of your generation that call me, kids that I was involved with from a young age. They are veterans of all 4 branches of our military services. Some have seen combat more than once, and All have been involved with the rebuilding. All would go back again and again, not to kill, but to help better the lives of the people that welcomed them and continue to welcome them.
The reason you do not see any more news coverage of the War Zones? It's all going to plan, People are safer, rebuilding continues, and democracy is beginning to take hold. The Iraqies will soon enough stand on their own and the world will be a better place.

#19 ·
We have a local radio station that is based in NH. Their weekly night time show duo always says how much the war cost so far, how many people died and how much money could be given to each american if we didn't fund the war with the money. Now I know this particular radio show has a beef with Bush and that is the way they let people know. Not once have I heard them say Support the Troops, they don't talk about how many people the troops fed today, or kept safe...alive. We don't get those statistics oh no... We get the death toll. WTF is that? F**k the media because they will f**k you. I watch the news purely for entertainment, not to learn what's happening. Anyone who has ever been interviewed or involved in a media story knows how much things get twisted from the time of the interview to 11 o'clock. I don't know Gunny at all, but I suspect he is the type of person you go to with questions about what our troops are doing and why. Why are we in Iraq? Ask Gunny, ask Brian, ask a soldier... Not FOX News. I pray you all know to drive with your lights on in rememberance during this Memorial Day.
:salute::gob_icon_cheers::salute:

#20 ·
Right to the top of the list.

My last stop before hitting the pillow. I sleep knowing that my kids and family are safe.
I give the time to say a prayer for those men and women who serve our country in all
forms of military. I pray for their safe return.

--Brian

#21 ·
most of us will never die as well! the best i can hope for is to die with a smidgeon of the dignity and be happy i remotely got to serve my country. it is with great honor i bow my head in honor of such gallant people to whom i could not make a pimple on any of thier good troops asses! :salute:

#22 ·
WHAT THE HELL!
I started thinking, 'What are we so unhappy about?''

A.. Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 Days a week?

B.. Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter

C.. Could it be that 95.4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job?

D.. Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

E.. Maybe it is the ability to drive our cars and trucks from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state?

F.. Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter?

G.. I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough either.

H.. Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all and even send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

I.. Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home.

J.. You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames, thus saving you, your family, and your belongings.

K.. Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes, an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss.

L.. This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90% of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

M.. How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world
Maybe that is what has 67% of you folks unhappy.

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S., yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have, and what we hate about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

Make no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have
died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go. They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an "other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable" discharge after a few days in the brig.

So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans? Say what you want but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds it leads and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells, and when criticized, try to defend their actions by 'justifying' them in one way or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book about how he didn't kill his wife, but if he did he would have done it this way......Insane!

Turn off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage.
Then start being grateful for all we have as country. There is exponentially more good than bad.
We are among the most blessed people on Earth and should thank God several times a day, or at least be thankful and appreciative.' 'With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up
the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, 'Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?

#23 ·
AND THE ELECTION? The buzzword of this election is 'CHANGE.' Candidates toss it around without saying what they want to change to.

Years ago, there was an old tale in the Marine Corps about a lieutenant who inspected his Marines and told the 'Gunny' that they smelled bad.

The lieutenant suggested that they change their underwear.

The 'Gunny' responded, 'Aye,aye, sir. I'll see to it immediately.'

He went into the tent and said, 'The lieutenant thinks you guys smell bad, and he wants you to change your underwear. Smith, you change with Jones, McCarthy, you change with Witkowskie, Brown, you change with Schultz. Change, now get on with it'!

A CANDIDATE MAY WANNA CHANGE SHIT BUT IT STILL STINKS THE SAME

#25 ·
As I scrolled through this thread, with a heavy heart that fills with pride in the courage of our HEROES, tears flowed freely down my face. Too many Americans today do not understand the sacrifice to self that comes with the title of United States soldier. It is a sacrifice that has been given freely, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. It is a sacrifice that has been made for all peoples, not just American. It is a sacrifice given in the name of this great country, our United States of America, so that we, and many, many others do not have to live under tyranny, and oppression.
It is a sacrifice that is given in the name of FREEDOM.
The price.....is high. As I looked at the picture of the young child leaning on the monument bearing her father's name, I wondered if the price wasn't at times to high. In my heart, I know the answer. It's in the eyes of the Marine, who salutes, ramrod straight while wheelchair bound.
It's the same look my grandfather had, who came to America because of the violence and oppression in Ireland, in 1927. When asked his nationality, He would STAND UP, and with pride that was heartfelt, loudly proclaim "I'm an AMERICAN !"
Honor our fallen Heroes. They deserve it. Shake hands with a VET today. Tell him, or her, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SACRIFICE! They deserve it.
Gunny, SEMPER FIDELIS!!!:gob_icon_cheers:
AIRBORNE ALL THE WAY!!!:icon_cvcyesir:

#26 ·
Just read every word in this thread. Now Canada is in the war over there. We have soldiers dying for what they "now" believe in, the quote: the news tells the stories of death and destruction and both troops and civilians are dying. I say get the politicians involved ( YOU KNOW THESE PEOPLE THAT ARE BUSY ARGUING IN PARLIMENT ABOUT PERSONAL EXPENSES BEING INCREASED), let them tell "us" what realy happens on a day to day basis. Yes the troops are dying for a casue that they and only they truly believe in, why because they are "In the line of fire". I see on the news, and not often enough how we are trying to get the infrastructure back into a war torn country, build schools and medical centres, bring some the badly and "sadly wounded children to Canada to try to help them with medical aid and surgery. I have heard people say why do they spend the money to help these people, its costing the tax payer in Canada, arent we lucky it only costs us "$$$$$" and not our lives. Lets give our troops the support, lets give the U.S. marines our support, lets give all the coilition troops our support. My personal thought, my father who still alive fought in world war 2, all five years of it, he will not talk about it and I mean not one word, he is well decorated and all his medals are there for the seeing if you ask him. Now, if in the 2nd world war they would have pulled out before the job was done we can all imagine what the world would be like now.The war was to free someone, just like the middle east war. My friends son has just left for the Afgan war, he used to work for me so we are attached emotionaly, I hope the big guy takes care of him and all the rest of the men and women serving.

I dont know maybe I went on to long, this thread should keep going and maybe mention more of the good things happening over there, or maybe it should be left alone, the reader can decide.

John:icon_thelmutsalute:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.