Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
124K views 238 replies 111 participants last post by  Capt. John S 
#1 ·
Told the wife she needed a break from work today and I needed someone to go fishing with. Anyway back to the report we ended up with 4 citations biggest being 41 pounds.thumbsup.gif

See less See more
#178 ·
The river is back down and still a little murky. Mooneyes and Shad on the menu today. I did catch 2 on a Boy Howdy prop bait after noticing some surface activity. Biggest today was maybe 6 lbs. I hope the river stabilizes now.

Attachments

#181 ·
Re: Help- I'm getting skunked!

I appreciate everyone's help- in this forum and elsewhere! I finally went on a charter with Joel Koch out of Great Bay and slayed them with my dad on father's day weekend. So I'm closing in on the forty inchers and hopefully it won't be long!

#182 ·
Made it to the dam at 5 AM. Started out tossin Zoom Flukes behind a Launcher with no takers , so we rig for live Shad and Mooneyes and keep on hitting them til about 9 AM when the fog lifted. Then the smaller ones took over close to the shore. All in all , a decent day

#183 ·
Made it to the dam at 5 AM. Started out tossin Zoom Flukes behind a Launcher with no takers , so we rig for live Shad and Mooneyes and keep on hitting them til about 9 AM when the fog lifted. Then the smaller ones took over close to the shore. All in all , a decent day

Attachments

#184 ·
Re: Full Moon this weekend

The full Strawberry moon has been very good to me in the past and this past week/week end was no different... all fish( 29 in 27 hours of fishing) were taken on live eels in 3-6' of water...the fish ranged from 40" ( 20lbs) to 53" approx 50-53 lbs..the large one never got weighed, as I wanted to release the fish, I caught the fish on light line( 15lb test) and fought her for about 20 minutes, in a heavy current, the scale was buried in my storage locker, and only the tape measure and camera were ready to go....in the end.. after several tender minutes of revival she swam off, to hopefulll spawn another day and provide future to the sport...

#185 ·

hey all kind of a newb here always browsing never posted sorry bout the size of the pic.

was fishing yesterday on a buddy's boat outside of rye when i landed this tagged striper. it was measured and released since it was only 25 1/2 inches the tag said reward on it so i get all excited call up and report the fish and my reward is a nice shiny hat lolol here i was thinking it was gonna be some loot lol. never the less it was cool catching a tagged one.

#188 ·
Got into the stripers at lake arthur again today. WOW, what a blast. 1:30pm susspended in the channel at 12 to 15 feet. Broke 2 off before I landed the first one. 25 in. then 3 more 23,25 1/2, 25 inches. Catching fish like that drew some attention from a couple of the locals so they came over to try there luck. Frank, whomed seem pretty afluent on striper fishing was using bucktails and I was using 1/16oz leadhead jigs with a fathead minnow. Twice we had doubles on fishing about 50 feet apart just talking back and forth. It was nice meeting you Frank.

#191 ·
8 in the boat today. Started catching them at 10:30 AM but we had to fish hard today. 3 of us and we all lost at least 2 fish a piece. Biggest was 11lb's 14oz. and we put him back as the box was full but 6 fish went home with us. Everything you need to know is in the picture. That's 15 fish in the boat in 4 trips. Not bad for a rooky if I do say so myself!

Attachments

#192 ·
Cast a Fly Charters fly skipper, Capt. Ray Stachelek reports:

Dense fog lowered visibility to only a few hundred feet around Block Island Wednesday morning. It never burned off. We fished to eleven o'clock before the thunder boomers moved in from the south. We made a break for the mainland staying ahead of the storm front.

The wind wasn't a factor today for fly fishing, but the ground swells were large. There were some rollers exceeding eight feet as they reached the shallows of the southwest end of the island. There was plenty of current with higher than normal tide heights. We managed to find some bass on the finder in twenty feet of water drifting into shore. We found some good pockets of stripers willing to take a white/yellow half -n- half on a heavy sinking line.

Ted Stebbins stripe bass totals improved somewhat this morning while at Block Island. Ted returned from the Cape on Wednesday morning to fish the sound. He says, "The Cape is extremely slow now for stripers." It was nice to see him tight.

Thursday's trip was man against the elements out there as Ted Rzepski found out. Life sometimes gives us lemons and in Ted's case, harsh weather conditions to fly fish. What a shame too! Ted was so hyped for months waiting for this vacation day to arrive. He was psyched to finally have the chance to land some striped bass, especially with all the good fish reports around the islands this week.

Ted had plenty of fly tosses at boiling stripers on the west side of the island. He was quick, on target most of the day. But the wind refused to yield and in most cases, his casts fell short of the mark. It's a frustrating experience working so hard not reaching the mother lode. Give it to Ted; he didn't quit not once. It's frustrating for a fly caster to deal with blown lines, head winds, fast drifts and stepping on flaked lines while trying to keep your balance. He hung in there like a trooper.

The south side of the island was completely unfishable. Standing ground swells in the eight to ten foot range battered the shallows preventing us to fish in close. We moved to the protected side and were able to find some sand eels near the surface. We manage maybe ten stripers all morning. Considering the conditions, our totals were good.

On the way home Ted found out about the nasty nature the North Rip. He knows now, why they call it the beast from the east to travel through when tide and wind converge at peak times.
It's a white knuckle ride and a wet one at that. It doesn't seem like you ever make any headway.

Ted Rzepski worked hard for every striper today. He was able to bring one home for table fare for all to enjoy. Ted and his family are vacationing in Point Jude area. He'll remember this trip for some time. He's plenty glad to get his feet on Terra Firma.

The Sherman family visited RI on an extended weekend attending a medical symposium at the Convention Center in Providence. The three doctors were able to free some time for some Block Island fly fishing on Friday morning. Mark, Gary, and Seth Sherman arrived bright and early at 4:30 am willing / able to cast a feather and tease some BI stripers. They had heard some good fishing reports out at the island recently. Unfortunately their primary source was a friend who read one on my fish reports. Well! Fishing was way off today, compared to other trips. Strike one!

The ride out to the island was smooth. Seas returned to normal, visibility three miles. Nothing like the huge ground swells the past two days. Winds were down too, but the heat and humidity returned. Do you think a New Yorker is ever going to complain about the sticky hot heat? Now that's an oxymoron question if I ever heard one. First remark, "Does this 23 foot center console have air conditions?" Strike two! Now I'm thinking, complaints for the next eight hours.

Heading across the BI 1 buoy we notice some tern activity working outside the rip line. There are dozens of ten pound stripers on small bait swirling the surface. After numerous cast attempts, there is no love. We move away from these finicky fish to try to find more productive waters. Strike Three! Never leave fish to find fish.

If you think the story line goes downhill from here, you're certainly right. We see some busting fish south of New Harbor. Once again they are busting stripers on small sand eels in quiet water. We manage to hook a few and take a few photos returning them back to their watery environment. Now I'm thinking this day isn't so bad after all. The stripers soon disappear like magic. Well, so much for my thoughts.

Let's go prospecting the south side. That's always a good location for stripers on the lie.
Well! We didn't locate a single striper from Southwest Point to Black Rock. It's was like the day after opening day of trout season.
Where are all the stripers, was the cry from the antsy crew?
They were here yesterday was the reply! Maybe the bait was blown out from the storm. Suddenly one line gets tight.
"I've got a small one on," says Mark. Nothing large but I'll take anything considering how the morning is going now.
Suddenly the line starts to make smaller circles near the boat.
Yeah! I've got a porgy. (Hear the groans)
Not just any porgy Mark, but one over three pounds that could cover a dinner plate.
I say, "Now that's a formative feat."
I got very little positive response from the gang.
We caught record scup after record scup but the background banter only got louder.

Fish slim him! Fish slim him! The blaspheme continue.

Finally the current starts to flow. A few birds are working in forty feet of water. We finally lift a few bass over the rail. All seems well. Suddenly the bite switch is "off." We move again to bird activity but there is no striper joy. We start catching sea bass after sea bass in a progressive fashion where the next fish gets bigger. They find no humor in this style fishing.
We break for lunch than do a tour of the island. Final tally of 5-6 stripers, countless scup, three sea bass, but plenty of laugher and song along the way.

Seth Sherman was top hook for the day. Using a type eight sinking tip, was able to get it near the bottom in thirty feet of water.

Mark Sherman won the money pool for first striper today. Watching those Washington's change hands was priceless.

#193 ·
Went out yesterday and jigged up some macks in the harbor. Getting tougher and tougher to find consistently but well worth the time...Caught a bunch of cookie cutter 26-32 inchers...And this monster showed up....Oh course my buddy got it so he's going to have bragging rights (which he's already been using the rest of the day and ride home)...As you can see, he was a bit excited.:icon_biggrin:

#194 ·
Got out a couple times last week with Frank helping me out bigtime on a Friday charter trip.

We caught an early tide on Wednesday and slowed trolled around Black Point & Hatchetts Reef. We had a decent bite on the tubes and managed a few medium size keeper fish in 18-30ft of water.

On Friday I took my first 2010 clients out since having the by-pass in May and good ol Frank was nice enough to mate for the day and haul some fish over the gunnels for me. Not too many people would give up a morning of fishing so they could play netboy but Frank was all over it.

Anyway we had a bit of a tough tube bite so I switched over to some live scup and found a nice pile of fish deep. Everybody went home happy and who knows I might even get in enough charters this season to actual cover my costs....

Yikes, what a bust this year.

Here's some stuff to look at...

#196 ·
Hey Gang I'm new to the forum, was up in Marshfield a few days this week fishing the Run and Gun Bluefin Classic - no tuna to show for our efforts Day one or two but we did have a few Bass nail our jigs.

Fishing out of Green Harbor.

Conditions where good, water was clear lots of life whales, birds, small tinker macs. Water Temp was 67 in the morning and 73 end of the day.

#198 ·
Fished early AM in the PJ area; noticed a lot of birds diving but far out in the bay. Casted some left-over porgy heads on a dead stick and gulp sand worms on my main rod. At about the third cast, ZZZZRRRRRMMM, Fish on. I thought I have a 10lb blue fish as this was taking line. Then it occured to me this had stripes on!! 29" keeper in August!!

First keeper in 2 weeks from me.:mental::icon_smile::mental:

#199 ·
Re: Stripers are Back on the North Shore

Went back early this morning to a secret spot uncle Billy found and I had non stop striper action until 7 AM!! They were going nuts for the Gulp Stinky Worms!! I caught about 10 schoolies ranging about 20" - 24" and one 29" keeper for the family barbie.

I took some pics, and I also dated one with business week for any non believers!!! :mental::icon_biggrin::mental:

#200 ·
Re: Stripers are Back on the North Shore

Fished PJ Bay area early AM today;

Started throwing the "stinky" art - live worm combo, and BAAAM BAAM BAAM BAAAM had fish on the first 4 casts. Three stripers measured 27" !!! and the forth was about 24". I wonder if I caught the same 27" fish again, as it was coming back for more worms!
Bite died down by 7:30 AM.......>> :icon_thumright:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.