Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Fishing "Spots"

Tags
fishing spots
37K views 96 replies 56 participants last post by  MikeG 
#1 ·
I was just curious how other people felt about it.

As most memebers to the board know I've been doing this along time and so have others here,we put in countless(often fishless) hours finding places to fish, often giving up sleep or family time to benefit our endevour,finding travel and feeding patterns of fish,and studying bait,wind and tidal affect,for the most part we enjoy helping others,sharing methods,tidal,moon and bait(or lure) choices....
Now comes the stickey part...the where.... I'm sure most of us here have been scorched a time or two,maybe you showed someone a favorite surf spot that can ony be fished by two or three guys,you show up at the optimum tide only to find your"buddy" and his"buddies" have the spot covered!
Or maybe a small sand bar has been producing on the dropping tide,you take someone (by boat) to the spot, you do well,the next night you return to a 3 ring circus there are three boats anchored up(you drift and plug) and no where for you to fish.... It's a free country and everyone has a right to fish where they want, what do you do?????

I dont volenteer Info when it comes to fish reporting,if asked,I'll give an acurate account of the evening(or day) weather we did well (or got skunked) I try not to give numbers of fish(unless talked into it), IMO it's not necesarry,things can change day to day,I will give a general area and average size of the fish,maybe even a tide if the conversation goes well , am I a rat????? I look at it this way, in over 40 years of fishing I 've never,not once ,asked someone where they got their fish,I've let them tell ME,but I've never asked. It works the same with me.

With all that said,I've taken lots of people(sworn to secrecy of coarse) to "secret spots" and had the best time of my life,I've made some great friends by doing this and learned a thing or two myself.....

Not the most informitive post I've ever typed,but, With fishing season right around the corner,the question is bound to come up,I was just curious how other membes felt.... I promise no more morose posts like this...just usefull information...

Roccus

See less See more
#95 ·
I grew up freshwater fishing but am relatively new to saltwater fishing. I completely understand the veterans not sharing their secrets. As you stated, "professional" courtesies are earned.

Are questions on feeding tendencies (temp, depth, prey, tide cycle) fair game, or am I likely to get just as many misleads?

#96 ·
Tod said:
Are questions on feeding tendencies (temp, depth, prey, tide cycle) fair game, or am I likely to get just as many misleads?
Your not likely to be getting misleads
Those would be good questions. - Everything is fair game - even approximate generalities. Just not coordinates.
The only reason magazines put out these spot reports is to make money and the owners here are no different. They also don't agree with our 'no spotburning' policy.

#97 ·
I'd like to add a little anecdote about my experience with "spots" although it doesn't involve striper fishing.

I've been fishing freshwater for trout and bass since I was a kid. I am by no means an expert but a real enthusiast for fishing and the outdoors. Well ,I'd been fishing a stretch of the Farmington river for the past few years and was looking to catch fish on a more consistent basis. Not just when the hatchery trucks came around. I started reading some books about trout habitat and how to read the water. I also talked to a few older guys who'd been fishing the river for years. They'd give me tips on some of the hatches and what the fish were hitting on but they never once told me where to go.

So as I learned more I started to be more observant. I'd walk along the river more, stop and watch the water, look at bugs that were around. Rather than casting and covering as much water as possible I was putting more effort into the selection of the places I would fish. One day I came across a nice pool that was set away from where most people go to fish and ended up pulling up some nice trout. I went back a few days later and caught a couple more. It seemed I found a nice honey hole.

In my excitement I had triumphantly described my success to one of the older guys that I know. I gave him a description of the area and he said he knew the exact spot and had fished there quite a lot. He was also glad I found it but added he didn't share that spot with anyone. And I'm not about to share it either.

Is it due to a selfish attitude? No. The spot is open to anyone willing to put in the time to learn and effort to find it. That's why I understand that the "spot" issue is such a hot one.

This site is a tool for learning to fish. Noobs like myself are very lucky to have veteran striper fisherman sharing the knowledge they have. But if any of us new guys want to be successful we need to be diligent and learn how to fish and find the spots on our own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.