Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Fishing "Spots"

Tags
fishing spots
37K views 96 replies 56 participants last post by  MikeG 
#1 ·
I was just curious how other people felt about it.

As most memebers to the board know I've been doing this along time and so have others here,we put in countless(often fishless) hours finding places to fish, often giving up sleep or family time to benefit our endevour,finding travel and feeding patterns of fish,and studying bait,wind and tidal affect,for the most part we enjoy helping others,sharing methods,tidal,moon and bait(or lure) choices....
Now comes the stickey part...the where.... I'm sure most of us here have been scorched a time or two,maybe you showed someone a favorite surf spot that can ony be fished by two or three guys,you show up at the optimum tide only to find your"buddy" and his"buddies" have the spot covered!
Or maybe a small sand bar has been producing on the dropping tide,you take someone (by boat) to the spot, you do well,the next night you return to a 3 ring circus there are three boats anchored up(you drift and plug) and no where for you to fish.... It's a free country and everyone has a right to fish where they want, what do you do?????

I dont volenteer Info when it comes to fish reporting,if asked,I'll give an acurate account of the evening(or day) weather we did well (or got skunked) I try not to give numbers of fish(unless talked into it), IMO it's not necesarry,things can change day to day,I will give a general area and average size of the fish,maybe even a tide if the conversation goes well , am I a rat????? I look at it this way, in over 40 years of fishing I 've never,not once ,asked someone where they got their fish,I've let them tell ME,but I've never asked. It works the same with me.

With all that said,I've taken lots of people(sworn to secrecy of coarse) to "secret spots" and had the best time of my life,I've made some great friends by doing this and learned a thing or two myself.....

Not the most informitive post I've ever typed,but, With fishing season right around the corner,the question is bound to come up,I was just curious how other membes felt.... I promise no more morose posts like this...just usefull information...

Roccus

See less See more
#32 ·
After having been at this a while I try to keep the hard earned productive spots to a select few I trust.
Theres a fairly older eastern european gentlemen i know that uses a repel rope on a treacherous incline to access a spot.
Even with the rope the access is very difficult. There was some buzz that he caught a 50 back there one night and the next few days the place adjacent to it was packed and filthy with loud boom boxes and arguments and fights over "this is my rock" type dumb stuff. The spot cant be accessed at normal tides. I was there that night waiting to see his 50 when he walked it out but he actually lugged it up over the cliff on the rope rather than show it to the hordes of disrespectful googs. :dizzy: (It was actually more like 35 pounds.)
It sounds selfish not giving up a productive spot but it would quickly become unfishable and the guys who fish them, fish them with the proper technique and etiquette for the most part. Googs usually get run over and rightly so. Unfortunately though not the ones with boats.
They can be downright dangerous.
By googs i mean as an example - the guy with the loudest mouth in the tackle shop who tells everyone about his fishing prowess with his kmart equipment, where the fish are caught and then has the same mono on since the reel was bought, an extra white bucket, double burner lantern, 2 dozen clams and the oldest bunker in the place. And leaves all his garbage including line and packaging at "the spot". First cast he nearly breaks someones nose with a back swing of the rod and crosses 4 lines. After untangling he doesnt reel in when someone close by has a nice fish on. Thats a fairly good definition of what happens when you give up your spot to freely.
They have miles of beach front they can go to and most of the guys that learned to read the water, structure, and generally endured the hardships of learning this most frustrating game, dont fish anywhere near said googans if at all possible. The best that can be done is to help them assimillate some knowledge and etiquette along the way and hope an epiphany happens so they are less likely to disrespect the environment and the fishery in general.
It was a major goal and philosophy of our web site.
It is so much better to teach someone what to look for so he can apply it rather than give gps coordinates for thousands to download and pass around.
Not everyone agrees with this philosophy but many of us do. I would gladly help someone who asked privately rather than demand it publically and that is contingent upon my mood and level of respect for the party asking. (just being honest) Many more people read these forums than you would think.

#33 ·
Yeah i know this is an old thread, but I appreciate and respect the whole spot deal. I have a question, what's the proper spot courtesy as far as:
I see a guy from a distance working a spot. I didn't follow him or anything like that I just happen to catch a glimpse of him. Well a day or two later I figure out how to get there and I fish that same spot. Obviously I keep my mouth shut about it, and try to leave it with no sign that I ever been there. I don't even give a report vague or otherwise. It also goes without saying that if he should happen to show up while I'm there, I should either pack up and leave if it only holds one, or surrender the sweetspot to him! I'm conflicted on this. I kind of feel like this is "carpetbaggin" the guy did all the work and I come along ridding his coat tails, on the other hand I feel like it's not mugging or spotburning if I'm the only one there and I keep my mouth shut about it. What's the proper etiquette as far as this?

#37 ·
I caught my first "keeper" last night. It was just 28". I caught it from the surf in Winthrop on the north side on a gold jointed bomber. That's my first striper this year, and I worked for it. I could easily tell you where I was standing but there really is only room for one person. Winthrop isn't that big, so I consider this a fair report. Anyone that wants to catch some fish in Winthrop can work just like I did. When I walked it back to my car I hugged the wall and put the fish down between my leg and the wall to hide it, to show the least amount of people as possible. The jetties were littered with latins and a few people did see me catch and walk the fish out. I kept an eye for where I was fishing because I wanted to go back there. Tonight I won't bother going there because I know someone will be standing there.

#40 ·
There are fishin' Holes, and then there are fishin' holes.
If you pay a charter, the courtesy would be to respect his / her fishing locales and and worry more about enjoying your time on board.

If a Captain puts you on a hotspot, and sees you there 2 days later, it might not be a big deal..... unless you are anchored there with 4 buddys and hogging the water.
See what happens next time you charter. Captains with sea salt in their blood don't easily forget, or forgive.

Chances are the captain has some reserves for when he hits the water himself, in lean or slow days, you might get to see some of them. Maybe Captains should have a disclaimer about burning before they take anyone aboard... like they would for alcohol or safety reg.

hrrmmm...

I have been fishing with my business partner for 3 years now.... like every other day. Still have some hunny holes on the brook down home he doesn't know about.

#42 ·
One thing to keep in mind, if you use it to scout out front many of the sandbars and structure you see might be different or not even there. The pictures on Google are usually a few months old - and sand moves a lot.

Nothing will ever replace scouting at low tide. The internet can only give you ideas where to do that scouting.

For looking at hard structure Google rocks!
Here's one of my favorite jetties (and no I'm not saying which one it is :redbiggrin: )
Until I saw the Google pictures I never knew the underwater structure looked anything like this.

Water Sky Body of water Liquid Road surface

#43 ·
Google is a wonderful thing. Almost as good as being there (at times).
Though not a all answers thing, still very helpful.

As for "spots", I'm greedy. Very selective on who / if I show stuff.
Someone out of the blue like in a bait shop will get the traditional "secret spot" scoop. Mostly a few of the "secret" breachways that are over run with tourist anyways. Basicly the "secrets" are common tourist gatherings.

My most prized areas,,, I do not tell.... anyone,,,, ever (except the dog, and she'll not tell - right Duke?). Simple as that.

Why? I'm a greedy, grouchy old bassturd!

Honestly, nothing is completely unknown as to places. Even my most secret I'm sure gets frequented by others at one time or anouther.
The way land is getting closed, access denied, parking restricted and all, can you blame anyone for keeping still?
I've gained most of my "spots" by knowing property owners for a good many years, putting in the time, making friends, acting responsible, etc.
I just feel I owe them the courtesy of being discreat and not encouraging parking congestion, trashings, noise, invasion of privacy, etc.
I know, if I bring you, and being the good guy you are you'd keep it a secret too. My best buddy said the same on a "secret" clamming spot. Then he told me and everyone in the bar where and how well he did one day.:smiliedoh:
well,,, that's not such a great spot anymore.
Maybe I'm "hardened"? but the above has happened way,, way too many times, and the shore isn't getting any bigger.
Call me what you want, but I'm not telling. Find your own like I have. Trial, error, fishless days, and lots of time.
Enjoy,
Bassturd

#46 ·
I started this post over 3 years ago, and to this day, with all the banter and input, some people just dont get it( this is not meant to insult ANYONE, bear with me)...I guess I will never get used to the internet and the instant gratification scociety....I guess I am truely getting old.

First a history lesson:
When I started fishing the Merrimack river in the late sixty's and early 70's the place was a virtual sewer.... EVERY cast required that you clean the toilet paper off of the line by snapping it clean,it was not at all uncommon to have condoms hanging off your jigs and plugs, the shore line was littered with industrial and residential trash and waste, shopping carts, cars and logs, lost during upstream logging were lodged on the bottom or blocking the paths along the shore line, large chunks of wool floated down the waterway, the water color varied from blues to reds, depending on which die vat was getting emptied, so pardon me if I dont get a little weepy when some one has to deal with a little path side trash, I've seen the current state, it's pristine compared to what it was, waders or boots had to be scrubbed with bleach to make them fit to bring in to the house to remove the stench... there were no parks or access roads, parking was limited to mill employees and you walked or biked everywhere.... the Men doing the catching were tight lipped, hell they wouldnt even tell you what bait or lure they were using.. respect and trust was earned , not handed out over the internet for thousands to view...

I've never really printed the agony I endured from time to time during the learning process, the nights lost in back water creeks with my face and hands so swollen from bug bites that my vision was blurred,while I waited for day light and enough tide to float me off my grounding.... the "tips" given me from others were given only to derail me because I was close to figuring out what was going on...there were not alot of fish around back then , and every one over 16" was boxed, iced. and sent to market.. money was the incentive for those that were silent,catch and release was non existant...

I've never mentioned the broken arm I sustained from a fall from the jetty and the two mile walk back to my vehicle ...or the baptisim of a rouge wave that knocked me off my perch while I bent over to land a fish...the fish and I rejoined the battle in 6' of surging water... the fish won out.

I dont recall mentioning, how my fishing partner and I used to pack our bikes on Friday,and bike( before we could drive) to plum island( 30+ miles each way) Friday night and leave sunday afternoon, digging worms to sell and use for bait for schoolies which were also sold so we could buy a sandwich at the local sub shop... if the fishing was bad.. we went hungry until we arrived home...all this to learn more about the fish, that I have revolved my life around.

I've never mentioned the TWO boats I sunk while learning to navigate the mouth of the river or fish the beach front, I'm lucky to be here, all because NO ONE shared even one tid bit of info that would have made my life eaiser, there were many, many more hard lessons and mistakes...one ofthe most memorable being the mistake of showing someone at the marina 5 nice bass caught on a mudd flat after a week of babysitting fish that wouldnt eat, I was so happy and proud, I made the mistake of shareing this info with someone anxious to boost his own reputation.. he ran down to the local baitshop and made a public anouncement.... the next night, there were 14 boats in the exact location I was fishing, people running over the fish spooking them,I had a guy run over a fish that had about 30yards of line out, I tried to warn him off, all i got for my effort was a glimps of his middle finger as my line went limp, I never got a fish that night and I went home in disgust, lesson learned...when more than one persons has info,it's not a secret any longer....alot of time and effort goes into finding a place to fish alone, once the word gets out.. your not alone for long.

Beatings and skunkings are part of the process, every sucessful bass fisherman has gone through it, the best ones, use it to their advantage.. so pardon the lecture and nostalgic look at my past....but if you want to know why myself and other long time vetrans get feisty when asked where, or when I/they got a fish or where they are fishing, just think about some of this stuff, I did this for over 10 years before I got into fish consistanly....40 odd years latter, I'm still learning.. the beatings are just far less frequent.

this post was not intended to target any indivuidual, or belittle any "newbies" efforts, I wouldnt want to start over again, I dont think I would have the fortitude to do it all again, maybe that is why I do take certain individuals under my wing, but they must earn my trust and respect first, this is only an account of one mans quest to be as good at this damanding sport as he could be and to help keep you from getting discouaraged when it seems like the "vets" are dumping on you, and I am not alone, those of us that have salt water in our veins, have earned the right to be a tad arrogant when it comes to sharing information, none of it came easy, as things are not coming easy for you, and some day, if you dont give up, you learn your lessons and file away the tiny tidbits of valuable info, you will be the keeper of the gate after we are gone... then.. and only then will it all make sense.

#45 ·
I started this post over 3 years ago, and to this day, with all the banter and input, some people just don't get it( this is not meant to insult ANYONE, bear with me)...I guess I will never get used to the Internet and the instant gratification society....I guess I am truly getting old.

First a history lesson:
When I started fishing the Merrimack river in the late sixty's and early 70's the place was a virtual sewer.... EVERY cast required that you clean the toilet paper off of the line by snapping it clean, it was not at all uncommon to have condoms hanging off your jigs and plugs, the shore line was littered with industrial and residential trash and waste, shopping carts, cars and logs, lost during upstream logging were lodged on the bottom or blocking the paths along the shore line, large chunks of wool floated down the waterway, the water color varied from blues to reds, depending on which die vat was getting emptied, so pardon me if I don't get a little weepy when some one has to deal with a little path side trash, I've seen the current state, it's pristine compared to what it was, waders or boots had to be scrubbed with bleach to make them fit to bring in to the house to remove the stench... there were no parks or access roads, parking was limited to mill employees and you walked or biked everywhere.... the Men doing the catching were tight lipped, hell they wouldn't even tell you what bait or lure they were using.. respect and trust was earned , not handed out over the Internet for thousands to view...

I've never really printed the agony I endured from time to time during the learning process, the nights lost in back water creeks with my face and hands so swollen from bug bites that my vision was blurred,while I waited for day light and enough tide to float me off my grounding.... the "tips" given me from others were given only to derail me because I was close to figuring out what was going on...there were not alot of fish around back then , and every one over 16" was boxed, iced. and sent to market.. money was the incentive for those that were silent,catch and release was non existant...

I've never mentioned the broken arm I sustained from a fall from the jetty and the two mile walk back to my vehicle ...or the baptism of a rouge wave that knocked me off my perch while I bent over to land a fish...the fish and I rejoined the battle in 6' of surging water... the fish won out.

I don't recall mentioning, how my fishing partner and I used to pack our bikes on Friday,and bike( before we could drive) to plum island( 30+ miles each way) Friday night and leave Sunday afternoon, digging worms to sell and use for bait for schoolies which were also sold so we could buy a sandwich at the local sub shop... if the fishing was bad.. we went hungry until we arrived home...all this to learn more about the fish, that I have revolved my life around.

I've never mentioned the TWO boats I sunk while learning to navigate the mouth of the river or fish the beach front, I'm lucky to be here, all because NO ONE shared even one tide bit of info that would have made my life easier, there were many, many more hard lessons and mistakes...one of the most memorable being the mistake of showing someone at the marina 5 nice bass caught on a mud flat after a week of babysitting fish that wouldn't eat, I was so happy and proud, I made the mistake of sharing this info with someone anxious to boost his own reputation.. he ran down to the local bait-shop and made a public anouncement.... the next night, there were 14 boats in the exact location I was fishing, people running over the fish spooking them,I had a guy run over a fish that had about 30 yards of line out, I tried to warn him off, all i got for my effort was a glimpse of his middle finger as my line went limp, I never got a fish that night and I went home in disgust, lesson learned...when more than one persons has info,it's not a secret any longer....alot of time and effort goes into finding a place to fish alone, once the word gets out.. your not alone for long.

Beatings and skunkings are part of the process, every successful bass fisherman has gone through it, the best ones, use it to their advantage.. so pardon the lecture and nostalgic look at my past....but if you want to know why myself and other long time veterans get feisty when asked where, or when I/they got a fish or where they are fishing, just think about some of this stuff, I did this for over 10 years before I got into fish consistanly....40 odd years latter, I'm still learning.. the beatings are just far less frequent.

This post was not intended to target any individual, or belittle any "newbies" efforts, I wouldn't want to start over again, I dont think I would have the fortitude to do it all again, maybe that is why I do take certain individuals under my wing, but they must earn my trust and respect first, this is only an account of one mans quest to be as good at this demanding sport as he could be and to help keep you from getting discouraged when it seems like the "vets" are dumping on you, and I am not alone, those of us that have salt water in our veins, have earned the right to be a tad arrogant when it comes to sharing information, none of it came easy, as things are not coming easy for you, and some day, if you don't give up, you learn your lessons and file away the tiny tidbits of valuable info, you will be the keeper of the gate after we are gone... then.. and only then will it all make sense.

#50 ·
I feel the need to respond to this thread as I basically started fishing 2 years ago and from day one was on this board. I will admit I did not understand why people would not just give a spot out to those who were looking where to go. It even aggravated me a bit. Now 2.5 years later I totally understand .

I have been on beaches where you blink and there are 30 other people there and the fishing is no fun due to it, so you go home because that is easier than confronting them and going to Jail. (seriously). I have been on a boat when you motor to a favorite place where there are 15 other boats now and as percentages are what they are, half of them end up being A-holes resulting in what Roc says in his post (lines run over, fish spooked, swamping boats with wake).

I am light years ahead of where I would be if folks like Roc, Gunny (Thanks Man) and Striperjim hadn't helped along the way with advice both privately and on this forum. I pride myself by continuing to learn what to look for with regards to structure, wind, tides, weather, etc to find a good spot. And I can get myself away from the crowds with close friends. I will take less fish to be with less people around but have found the opposite is true, less fishing pressure usually means better fishing. I still know very little as far as I am concerned but I have learned enough that I have caught fish big enough to know stripers are more fun to catch than bluefish. :redbiggrin:

When you get to know the people on this board you will know that people here genuinely want to help. And the best thing possible to help any newbie is to teach them how to find their own spots not just send them to one. Many of the veterans here will give you a well known spot that most from their area would know about and may often be crowded (These are the ones you would get at the bait shop as well, not their personal honey holes) if you PM them, but when you get there don't just fish. Look to see WHY it is a spot that can hold fish and apply that to looking for new ones on your own.

Many people get into striper fishing for many differen reasons. But I can assure you that one of them is not to stand shoulder to shoulder with 50 people in a line crossing lines, swearing and trying to communicate in 15 different languages. And that is what spot burning often turns fishing into.

Carry on.

#56 ·
I am light years ahead of where I would be if folks like Roc, Gunny (Thanks Man) and Striperjim hadn't helped along the way with advice both privately and on this forum. I pride myself by continuing to learn what to look for with regards to structure, wind, tides, weather, etc to find a good spot. And I can get myself away from the crowds with close friends. I will take less fish to be with less people around but have found the opposite is true, less fishing pressure usually means better fishing. I still know very little as far as I am concerned but I have learned enough that I have caught fish big enough to know stripers are more fun to catch than bluefish. :redbiggrin:

When you get to know the people on this board you will know that people here genuinely want to help. And the best thing possible to help any newbie is to teach them how to find their own spots not just send them to one.
Never a more accurate statement. 100% correct.thumbsup.gif

#51 · (Edited)
Earlier today I posted a comment in the tackle section after asking on surf rods. I had noticed the term "googan" or "goog" And the inference I drew from it was an inexperienced fisherman worthy of only ridicule. My mistake! NOW I understand after reading these threads. I fish a lot of freshwater. The pond I fish a lot is abused by morons daily, I always bring a bag and start picking up the empty worm containers, beer bottles, lure packages and one day over two hundred cigarette butts ( thank God for hand sanitizer) Every time I go there I clean up the messes. The 70 year old who got me into pike fishing has a favorite spot, When he comes and I see his car pull in I always move down and give him his due. To me that is the right thing to do. I never crowd an area where someone has it staked out first. I can not stand the asswhipe that shows up, sees you with a fish on and sets up housekeeping so close that we should have a prenuptual agreement. It's not just ignorent, it's disrespectful. I used to fish the Canal during the mackerel run, built all of my own rigs, I headed out one morning, walked the breaker to the east end. Only one there. Then people started showing up. Next thing I know, I have a bunch of retarded (won't mention there immigration status) a******s standing on the top of the rocks casting over my freakin head, I'm getting slaped in the face by fish being hauled over top of me since I'm on the lowest rocks. I lost ALL of my rigs because these morons tangled me up on every cast. I left and started the 1/2 mile walk back to the parking lot only to see their skanky a** girlfriends coming back from the lot carrying giant burlap bags, eating Kentucky fried as they walked and tossing the chicken bucket and wrappers into the ocean. When these a******s came back to the car with four huge bags of mackerel and filled the trunk so full that they couldn't even close the trunk lid an inch, all eight of them piled in the car, the weight of all of it so much that the rear end was catching sparks on every bump in the road. So I apologize for misinterpreting what was meant by "googs" these shitbags fit the definition. So Please accept my apology. I also have never had to do the secrecy thing on spots. Since I don't have any honeyholes. But I understand now from these threads why you protect what you do. I just hope one day that someone on these posts deems me worthy of trust. I don't steal, and I won't reveal.

#52 ·
I have spots i'll tell tourists that are local BIG spots that would never be concerned with spot burning.

I have spots that i'll take any friend too.

I have spots on shore and on the water i'll not even show my best fishing buddy.

I have a few marked areas with square bouys with DNR on them.
aka Do NOT remove.

But as far as what roccus is talking about, yes keeping a secrect is just for the better of everyone sometimes.

#53 ·
I'll add a little to an already well covered subject, with a little history thrown in as well.
Like roc, I come from a sell'em all background. the old man and his partner had a well earned reputation for finding fish when no one else was landing a skate, never mind a Bass. I remember a period of time, when I was in my teens that Dad and Ed were weighing in a couple of hundred pounds every night, while the other locally based sharps were skunking out. The spot they were getting the fish were on a reef with a very deep cut between it and the shore, that you could fish from shore if you could access it. As they left Getty they would head in the opposite direction of the hole, up the bay. When they got to the north point of J'town they would stop and act like they were starting a drift. Watching for other boats that might be following. They would continue up to Prudence, and do the same thing. If they felt they were alone they would then head toward the honey hole. Not straight in however, they would stop at another well know Bass reef on the opposite shore of the actual location. Low and behold a couple of the guy's had come close to locating where they were fishing, and had actually set up in a Marina to ambush them as they headed to the fish. Acting like they didn't see them, the old man continued to go around the well know reef outside Newport and actually set up to fish there. The other 2 boats then appeared and started fishing right on top of them. an argument ensued, the old man fired up the twins and took off out of the hole acting like he was very upset. It was all a game however as he was happy to leave the other 4 guy's in 2 boats fishing a decoy. They then headed to the real spot, tucked in behind the reef under the cover of darkness and invisible to passing boats. They then commenced to landing another nights pay to the already decent week they had. The location they were fishing was not an unknown place, in fact all the other guy's had fished it at one time or another before. They were just too lazy, or unwilling to check it out. They had hoped to short cut the hunt by following someone who had done what was necessary to find the fish. dad and Ed knew when the fish would be there, and purposly left the dock 2 to 3 hours early in order to throw any followers off the trail on the way to the fish.
I have fished with many of the local guy's from this site, many have learned a few things about Stripers along the way, and I have made a few great friends as well. I've shown some locations that are crowded shoulder to shoulder during the day but virtualy vacant at night. If half those people only relized that they are sleeping when they should be fishing, well lets just say I'm happy they don't know.
There are many well known locations given in many print fishing reports that draw hundreds of people to the spot. If the place is giving up fish, and you don't know how and when to fish it, the report is worthless to you. These are the spots I really could care less when the Bait and Tackles send all the day fishers to. Then there is the few places I have that give up fish, day or night, that are still fairly pristine, access is difficult at best and damn near impossible for a few. No squid boxes or balls of discarded line, no empty beer cans, or dunkin donuts cups. I have shown some of the friends I've made here these places, without reservation, because they deserve to know and fish in these conditions. They deserve it because they have proven to me that they are Striper men, and I know they would return the favor to me given the chance. They have also put in the time and effort to learn what good water looks like and how to read it. They are also willing to give up a warm bed and a good nights sleep to chase Bass. Most of all I know they would not burn me even if they could.

#57 ·
In monmouth county Nj we are now being screwed by towns denying access via parking restrictions because of a few idiots. I mostly fish the surf, and it's not that easy to move to another area if hundreds of people are fishing the rocks. What they don't get is that if fish are in, the productive area could range for miles, but people seem to key ij on wherew all the trucks are parked.

This spring has been some of the most hectic and crowded fishing I have seen in years. I only take select people to spots I have developed. Once a place gets too crowded, I lose interest. The saddest thing is that only a few people are making it bad for everyone. Most surfcasters are cool and respectful of peoples property.

#60 ·
Gunny I am damn proud to be one of those you shared a spot with, also, Backbayj. Without the two of you I would have never ventured to RI (fish or not). I only have 2 weeks left in this part of the country. Hopefully we'll fish together again before I leave. If not It was very good meeting and fishing with you. I will cherish these momories. Best of luck with getting Stripers recognized as gamefish in RI and MA.

I know I'm not supposed do do this and I hope you don't take it as an insult but.....:salute:

#63 ·
Gunny I am damn proud to be one of those you shared a spot with, also, Backbayj. Without the two of you I would have never ventured to RI (fish or not). I only have 2 weeks left in this part of the country. Hopefully we'll fish together again before I leave. If not It was very good meeting and fishing with you. I will cherish these momories. Best of luck with getting Stripers recognized as gamefish in RI and MA.

I know I'm not supposed do do this and I hope you don't take it as an insult but.....:salute:
It's been fun. I showed you a few fish and got ya pretty wet a couple times at least. Hope we can get together before you head out. I'm in for Sat and Sun in RI. I'll be fishing the ditch in the AM and also Friday AM. You need to post a pic of your MYSTERY plug.thumbsup.gif

#61 ·
I Have to agree that fishing certain spots is best to keep secret. We fish our own area's all the time and you will not see us most of the time in a fleet of boats. Sometimes one has to because we think the big boys are there.
I think in many cases catching is technique and not just location. We have trolled through a fleet of boats and caught fish only to have boats move to the area we were at. We caught 3 fish right off the bat but they were not keepers. We just kept on trolling and left the pack.
We are like everyone else good days and bad days but I think technique and the right bait is very important.
Ofcourse I agree with all of you. To many fisherman do not consider the other fisherman. We have had them cross our lines while trolling and not even realizing what they are doing. Just have to be inexperienced and not a true fisheman.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.