Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Fishing "Spots"

Tags
fishing spots
37K views 96 replies 56 participants last post by  MikeG 
#1 ·
I was just curious how other people felt about it.

As most memebers to the board know I've been doing this along time and so have others here,we put in countless(often fishless) hours finding places to fish, often giving up sleep or family time to benefit our endevour,finding travel and feeding patterns of fish,and studying bait,wind and tidal affect,for the most part we enjoy helping others,sharing methods,tidal,moon and bait(or lure) choices....
Now comes the stickey part...the where.... I'm sure most of us here have been scorched a time or two,maybe you showed someone a favorite surf spot that can ony be fished by two or three guys,you show up at the optimum tide only to find your"buddy" and his"buddies" have the spot covered!
Or maybe a small sand bar has been producing on the dropping tide,you take someone (by boat) to the spot, you do well,the next night you return to a 3 ring circus there are three boats anchored up(you drift and plug) and no where for you to fish.... It's a free country and everyone has a right to fish where they want, what do you do?????

I dont volenteer Info when it comes to fish reporting,if asked,I'll give an acurate account of the evening(or day) weather we did well (or got skunked) I try not to give numbers of fish(unless talked into it), IMO it's not necesarry,things can change day to day,I will give a general area and average size of the fish,maybe even a tide if the conversation goes well , am I a rat????? I look at it this way, in over 40 years of fishing I 've never,not once ,asked someone where they got their fish,I've let them tell ME,but I've never asked. It works the same with me.

With all that said,I've taken lots of people(sworn to secrecy of coarse) to "secret spots" and had the best time of my life,I've made some great friends by doing this and learned a thing or two myself.....

Not the most informitive post I've ever typed,but, With fishing season right around the corner,the question is bound to come up,I was just curious how other membes felt.... I promise no more morose posts like this...just usefull information...

Roccus

See less See more
#2 ·
In my club we share spots, however the rule is if it's your spot and you show up, the other guys have to make way for you.

Giving up spots on the internet to 50,000 people - none of whom will let you fish there if they got to it first is foolish. I found a spot last fall that I think is going to be a killer this spring. At best it can fit two guys. You think I'm going to post it and then have to deal with idiots ringing it in with spiked rods, you're crazy.

#3 ·
I feel the same way.....theres no way to actually pinpoint where i fish...sure you've heard me name the beach and such, but to actually know the formations and where they are, well, thats close to impossible. I've gone as far as to scuba dive where i wanted to fish, and find out what the bottom actually looks like. This got me alot of sweet spots that nobody could ever find. I see alot of boats out in front of MY beach, all fishing and trolling, but theres no way for them to get close enough to fish where ya should. The few people, and i mean few people, that actually find out how to get into the beach, i stop and chat with, find out whether i'm gonna throw their asses off or not. then theyare sworn to secrecy. If there was anyone ever on my beach and i didn't like them....they would meet someone that nobody really wants to meet..The Bad Briggs.

Maybe seven different people fish on my beach, and thats it. Its definetly one of the best kept secrets along with one of the best spots to land a big Striper.

If you walk in to where i fish, and you dont belong to the beach.....you have a good mile to walk. Plus you could get your truck towed as there is really no public parking anywhere close.

So i guess i'm safe....I post a good report, i enjoy myself, nobody knows how to get there, and if they did, i'd bury them right where they buried that whale that washed up on the beach last year. The people who know me, know i'm telling the truth hahaha.

Tight Lines !!!

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)

#4 ·
After re-reading my post, I'll clarify myself a little further,I'm not talking internet reporting, I dont have enought time behind a 'puter to have had that problem, but have seen enough "wars" to avoid it.what I'm talking about is the guy your run into in the baitshop(or to the baitshops in general) maybe the guy you run into at the marina or at the coffee shop.

#5 ·
Spot burners and one taken under wing

I think there is a feeling you get about a spot burner and some who takes someone under their wing a bit.

Many experienced bass fisherman put in hours, weeks, months and years learning the areas they fish, some feel everyone needs to learn on their own and others enjoy teaching and watching others grow from their experience.

I for one love to learn from others and am not a spot burner but this day in the internet there are many who lurk, read and run to the hot spot with out ever interacting.

I think over time in forums like this there are relationships formed and your specific info is given in private. General fishing reports I feel are good enough to say yes they are here or there but not to say stand on the big dark rock with the white spot and cast towards the red mooring 20 ft. out.... this always holds bait fish and on a slack tide you will score....

I think a fishing report like... nailed 3 over 30lbs just off of Prudence Island Wednesday night... tide was full and there were plenty of bait in the water. I was trolling tube and worm just about 2 kts.

#6 ·
brandon and I have one "sweet spot" that we'll give a general idea to location. The spot is no real secret it's just knowing where to throw the anchor cause 20 feet off can make all the difference. If someone takes us to to one of their spots (AKA Jonny's marsh) and tells me the best way to fish it, I think it's up to them to invite me to it again, or I'll ask if they don't wanna go can I. Not for me to show up with a few more buddies to fish it some other time.....Don't mind telling about size and quantity but them again if I find a spot like Roccus has I might get alot more vague......
On to the guy you just shoot the chit with, I'd be sayin in the Picscataqua, there be a lot of river from beninning to end

#7 ·
Roccus is absolutely right. I read an article from a charter boat Capt. in Florida who said guys would come on board with hidden hand held GPS and attempt to steal his "secret spot" coordinates. He said some were handed down by his grandfather and he said maybe one of the only things precious to him would be to hand them down to his kids. In this case the guys lively hood depended on it.
Roccus Its a point well taken. Its nice to be nice but the proper way to go about it is to learn by doing. I may have promted this post with a report I gave a guy in the Raritan. I pointed him to a well known landmark. Ive seen that spots coordinates given away in another online magazine publication.
It is one of many but if it draws a crowd then its freiken useless.

#9 ·
Personally, I generally tell people not to post exact locations. I just think it's good to avoid inviting any potential problems.

I have been burned and scorched before, I know the feeling well. Although people can fish any public spot whenever they want, I however do believe it's at the least "shady" to frequent a "secret spot" you were shown, without the person that showed it to ya lol. Everyone has their own conscience and gauge on what is "shady" and what isnt, but for me, it seems a little off. Thats just how I am. Personally I would sit here and stare at my new saltwater fish tank before I went out and scorched someone's spot. But thats just me.

BUT, because I am the type of person who enjoys helping people and putting them on fish, I am also more prone to have my spots burned up that the average person. Comes with the territory. Believe me, I've been fishing down in the marsh, and looked behind myself, only to see an out of towner and his buddy trying to walk RIGHT BEHIND ME! As if I wasnt even there. Unbelievable. I show this guy a spot, and he tries to Ghost me. Right behind my back, literally. Some people need a slap if you ask me.

There are many reason why I believe it is good board etiquette to not post specific spots that you don't want smashed in.

#11 ·
I've never been hooked by a "passenger" but my poor antenae for my radio takes a god awefull beating,I had a guy catch a rod that was in the holder and flip it seaward,never to be seen again!
Another time I had a guy that I met from work,a real hardcore young fisherman,the kind that we need to keep the sport alive,anayway were into blitzing bass off of the PI beach(in the boat) he gets his first 30lb fish,I take his picture and shake his hand,he's a nervous wreck,I just want to get back to fishing,anayway,I replace the net into it's clips on the bow, and go astern to make a cast, I hear this long drawn out moan (no it wasnt JB's Okuma blowin upLOL) JR. just realized that his brand new Vanstall reel and Stcroix rod are not in the boat! Well... I went up to take a look,thank goodness for balling eels who was tangled in the net,,the eel,hook and line were still attached to the overboard rig!I hauled that beauty from the depths....all 4' of it!

#12 ·
:lol: Hahaha roccus....i've done something kind of similar.

Fishing for Tautogs off the rocks... i had a 4oz. sinker on and my rig. Little did i know that before i cast, the line had wrapped itself around the tip. so there i go casting, the sinker takes my late fathers St. Croix and 1960's Penn conv. right out of my hands and sank in about 20 feet of ocean. 2 casts...with witnesses mind you, it took me to snag it with another rod and reel her up. i still fish with the rod and reel and that one would have really hurt.... I've scuba dived for my lost sinkers before too, am i an idiot or what?

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)

#13 ·
I guess I'm happy to tell someone the number and size of my fish...I'll give general location... :wink:

Most of the spots 'round Boston Harbor are pretty well known, so its not like I'm buring "secret spots"...
...But I have a couple honey holes, that may just go the grave with me!!!

The only thing that pisses my off, is that on weekends in the summer, the Harbor is like a parking lot :x
...Thats when its time to travel north or south, and hit the less known spots... :D

#20 ·
There are a number of spots in boston to hit up to get away from the crowds, it is a pain though in the weekend. The only people I will show recently productive spots are those who I wouldn't mind if they showed up by themselves or even with friends. There are plenty of spots to go to, most nights when I fish boston harbor I will go to 5-7 different locations, and then find micro locations (ex. Normally busy spot ill go to and then find the smaller areas to fish, and do pretty well.)

I have been burned and it sucks but then again, its not a big deal, getting upset is contradictory to the sport we engage in, I can find new spots.

However when it comes to someone showing me a spot I keep my mouth quite about the spot unless told otherwise. Maintaining Integrity is huge with me and I would never do anything to jeprodize it even for a 60 pound big boy.

#14 ·
Oh that reminds me of a party boat trip a buddy Joe and the old gents at the bar had taken. Joe casted out on a boat and hit this 73 year old man (Babe) right between the eyes with a 4 ounce bank sinker. Babe survived the ordeal with a huge knot and cut forehead but he was pissed. Joe will never be casting off a boat again. At least not off of a party boat. One would hope.

#15 ·
Boston Boy,

I've spent an hour or two in ye ole harbor,you can still get away from the crowds,Ive had some awesome bites off of pedicks,the sugar bowl and the five sisters,caught a few off of Rvere beach while everyone else did battle off of fawn bar or the DI rip,there was one season when we had no big fish to speak of at plum island,I spent a weeks worth of nights running a black goo-goo on the wire in the DI rip all alone!

the crowds have become a problem everywhere,some nights,even during the week the river here is a zoo, when the word is out that there is a hot bass bite,but if you look hard you'll find places to be alone,the posibilities in Boston are endless,here If it's to wild to leave the mouth or the tide is low i dont have alot of options.....but if I want a fish bad enough I'll find one!

#18 ·
Stripersteve said:
yeah or that guy you invite casts his line right ovah yours.....hold on that was me :lol: :lol: :lol: or one of em manages to "hook" you :wink:
LMAO. Oh man, Jay is super-duper-liner-caster-over LMFAO. Fishing the outgoing tide off the trestle, sitting in the lawn chairs with some coldies and a radio, he's casting right over me....every time. I'm like dude, you dont need to cast...just let the tide take your bait down to either the point or the Blackwater Surprise. THERE'S NO NEED TO CAST FROM THAT SPOT!!! lmao.

Oh ya, Brandano slapped me upside tha back ah me neck with a circle hook when we were fishin' Schoolie Alley LMAO HAHAHAAHAAAA.

#19 ·
I agree w/ you all about "giving away" your hot spots. I'm new to the whole striper thing. To me its like hunting BIG bucks. I hunt alot, shoot many huge bucks. A few times I've taken people hunting, put them in a honey hole and then find them sitting in my spot a few weeks later. Its the same type of deal. I don't mind sharing a hot spot with someone, but now i make it clear right from the beginning what i expect from them, and I'll also let them know that I'd appreciate if they would put me on one of their spots, and that I would never go to their spots without them or their permission. Ever since I've approached it in that manner I have had no more problems. I've made new friends and gained many hunting and fishing partners, as well as great memories. Its all about respect. Too bad many people don't have it anymore.

#24 ·
But fishing reports with location information are useless as well....because the next time you go to your spot there will be 30 other people fishing there. You can give somebody a good fishing report without giving up an exact location just by telling them what bait you used, what time of the tide the fish started biting....etc. From here it is your job to find the fish.

#25 ·
All the reports I've read usually have a location, just not a "SPOT" for you to go and stop at....the problem I have with reports is that they are what HAS HAPPENED, not what we can expect to come....right? They are good for establishing patterns to make an assumption to where the fish might be, but....I know I don't take too much stock in em.

#27 ·
Not living on the coast I rely on reports some what, I try not to crowd anyone ,I have found a few really good spots on my own (I am sure they have been found before)and have been given some good info by others,I don't care if somebody wanders down the beach sees me catching fish if they crowd me I might say something I may not,I may just move on.Most of the help I get is from a few goto guys thru a PM ,they know it will go no further than me .Maine fishing is far differant from fishing anywhere else on the NE coast ,just seems to be a little more laid back and a lot more friendlier.Just my 2 cents.VT

Thanks Roc for the PM's it nice to know before we drive 3hours.

#28 ·
I just laugh sometimes though, like one time I was walking down the beach just looking for some structure and saw a nice sandbar. There's a guy there spiked on it, and I had seen him pull something in from a distance, and as I was walking up I asked him how he was doing. He gave me a dirty look and looked at my poles, then said nothin at all. I just said thats cool good luck, and kept walking. It's almost like people don't think fish don't swim.

I agree though with the general consensus. Suds you bring up a great point. There needs to be general location to get a rough idea, otherwise it's worthless. I hope to have a few good spots nailed down in a year from now. We'll see.

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
You know, as a NooB I'm kinda pissed at all this "secrete spot" stuff. How the hell am I supposed to know if I'm in "your" spot? Even if you show me a great spot am I to assume that you are going to be there 24/7 ever after? If we are tight enough for you to show me "your" spot to begin with shouldn't it stand to reason that if you came upon me in "your" spot that we would be tight enough to fish there together?

Also, and this is PURE NooB talking, what secrete spots are you talking about? I just started fishing for any thing this year. I read all about trout and black bass and scouted my local lakes and rivers and went to the "good spots". Waste of time. I should have gone and muscled in along side of EVERY ONE ELSE because that's where the fish-catching was going on. That's exactly what I did when I hit the beach. I did the exact same thing as every one else and I caught my first striper on my first clam. BTW: That's MY spot now and I don't want to see any of you ****ers there. If you DO go there please be kind enough to identify yourselves to me so that I can pick you out from the other 400 ****ers that are there, have NOT read my claim-stake here and therefore are NOT banned from "my" spot. Now, up here, closer to home, I would LOVE some one to tell me where the fish are. There are a thousand little paths that lee down to the river. Some of them are disgusting places filled with trash, human refuse and garbage. Not all of them get you to the river. Not all of them get you to a place where you can catch Bass. Nothing I love more than tramping all my crap over some abandoned dirty diapers only to get skunked. I guess that's "putting in my time" but I'll tell you what, if and when I DO find a clean, quiet place that produces fish I won't hide it from people because I might want to go back there three weeks from next Thursday.

There are THOUSANDS of people fishing and there are limited places for them to fish, from shore or on the water. 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water and that's the same place as every one else is trying to go to catch them. Unless I am trespassing on some ones private property, on YOUR private property, what's the issue?

<please watch the language, we have kids here ~ Sudsy>

#31 ·
There's a lot here so I'll take it one bit at a time

How the hell am I supposed to know if I'm in "your" spot?

Obviously because I brought you there and told you it was my secret spot

Even if you show me a great spot am I to assume that you are going to be there 24/7 ever after?

Of course not, I showed you that spot so you could fish it. However, if I show up and you're there you should move or let me have the sweet spot. You should always show respect and appreciation towards the guy who hooked you up - I do.

If we are tight enough for you to show me "your" spot to begin with shouldn't it stand to reason that if you came upon me in "your" spot that we would be tight enough to fish there together?

Definitely, so long as it's big enough for two.

what secrete spots are you talking about?
There aren't any long term spots on the ocean side, sand moves a lot. In the back bays and rivers there can be a few.
Example, over the course of the last 10 years I've walked the entire shore of Raritan Bay at dead low moon tides making notes of structure as I go. That's a lot of time and a lot of miles. I've found a few bits of structure that hold fish, two of which are very very small, less then 5 yards wide, but very productive under the right conditions.

I should have gone and muscled in along side of EVERY ONE ELSE because that's where the fish-catching was going on.

That's fine if it's what you're into. I personally can't stand mob scene fishing which is why I've worked hard to find spots where I can get fish away from the crowd.

I would LOVE some one to tell me where the fish are. There are a thousand little paths that lee down to the river. Some of them are disgusting places filled with trash, human refuse and garbage. Not all of them get you to the river. Not all of them get you to a place where you can catch Bass. Nothing I love more than tramping all my crap over some abandoned dirty diapers only to get skunked. I guess that's "putting in my time"

So since I've already done miles and miles and years of tramping through the garbage and poison ivy and mosquitoes (which I have) I should tell you where those two great little tiny spots I found are located?

and when I DO find a clean, quiet place that produces fish I won't hide it from people because I might want to go back there three weeks from next Thursday.

And with that attitude NO ONE is ever going to tell you anything.

Short story:
A very good friend of mine told another friend about a small offshore rock pile that holds big fish. The friend he told told someone else.
Three weeks later, during a money tournament the first guy goes out to his spot to find the friend of the friend anchored up on it, there's only room for one boat.
Guess who won the tournament and $10000.
Guess who's never telling his friend anything ever again.

#30 ·
Grumpy, Its not so much as a secret spot, Its more like if I were to take you to a spot ,It would be nice if you did not take 3 other guys the next time you went.I am sure your post will get booted with all the swearing before you get to read this, but you will know what I am talking about. Rivers and beaches ,lake and ponds are fair game ,Just don't bite the hand that feeds you.VT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.