Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2009 SEASON !!!! Pictures - Fresh and Saltwater stripers

63K views 187 replies 97 participants last post by  BigBassJim 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Freshwater Fatties of 2009....

Got the new year off to a good start by spending the day on the water with our younger son who I hardly ever get to see, let alone fish with, anymore since he started college. Fished from around 10AM to 4PM, boated 15,19,27 and 30 lb fish and missed two others. After a tough week that started off by having to have one of our labs put to sleep I can't think of a much better way to spend the day.

#3 ·
Re: Freshwater Fatties of 2009....

Nice fish and what a great day! Unfortunately for me its going to be a few months before I will be able to submit anything for 2009 due to winter scheduling. Although, keep them coming, and if I get a chance to make it down south I'll sneak a few pics in early!

BTW, What a great show on the monitor as that avatar of yours sends chills down my spine!

#7 ·
Fatties of 2009!!!! Get the cameras ready!!!]

1. landed it on the 1-3-09 and it was 5lbs 11oz and the second one was 1-4-09 it was 8.8 lbs 27 inches long. Lost a big one out there. Still waiting for my 40-50 lber. Hopefuly this year!

Attachments

#8 ·

Went up to the duct again and casting out about 30 minutes and HITS ON. Landed the first one at 7.7 lbs and had to get the hook out of his mouth and the net was twisted around him and discovered it bent the hooks, so I tied on another lure casted out and got a second hit and its on, it kept taking my line out and It was a fighter and got it up to shore and got it in with my net. Landed this one at 10.11 lbs. :smiliegrd:Length of the smaller one is 27 and 1/4 inches long and the bigger one is 29 inches long.

Attachments

#9 ·

My son with the 19 lb'er from 1/3/09....it was a long & lean fish...very atypical of the stripers in this watershed...pushing 40 inches...should have been considerably heavier....released in good shape to go get fat and come see us again later! :bluegrin:

#53 ·

My son with the 19 lb'er from 1/3/09....it was a long & lean fish...very atypical of the stripers in this watershed...pushing 40 inches...should have been considerably heavier....released in good shape to go get fat and come see us again later! :bluegrin:

thats funny what you did with background. Whats a matter you afraid your gonna give up your spot??????

#10 ·

Nice Striper! I didn't post my pic here I don't fish the ocean anymore or lakes I just fish the Southern California aqueduct. I love those stripers. I know that they are huge. Congrats to you and sorry for someone putting this on your post it was not meant to be here. Congrats to your son. Great job he did landing that one!

#11 ·

Striperbill said:
sorry for someone putting this on your post it was not meant to be here
Bill
These posts are copied into either the fatties of 09 or the sweetwater fatties of 09. This one got copied to sweetwater. Sorry for taking the liberty. Stripernut got the newest 09 thread started. Hope i didnt :crosstheline:

#12 ·

Bill
These posts are copied into either the fatties of 09 or the sweetwater fatties of 09. This one got copied to sweetwater. Sorry for taking the liberty. Stripernut got the newest 09 thread started. Hope i didnt :crosstheline:
Thanks Striperjim, just didn't want someone upset at me. Thanks for looking out! On other forums you can get into trouble so didn't want these guys to think wrong!

#13 ·

Thanks Bill.

Hey..no harm,no foul guys! From my view if it's a striper and didn't come from the salt then it goes here..and it's not "my" thread, it's "our" thread...just trying to get some folks posting on the sweetwater side of things...I know they're out there.....

It's all good!

:gob_icon_cheers:

#15 ·

First I would like to thank this everyone involved in this forum the information and laughs have been great. Ok the details 44 degrees on the chattahoochee river in lake harding in Georgia. The winds were at 12-14 miles an hour and the surface water temp was 54. We were trolling rapala shad rap at 3.3 mph and one hit. My 5 year old son was a little bored prior to the striper but afterwards he was excited, not cold and ready for another. The fish measured 27 inches.

Attachments

#16 ·

The first week of 2009 turned out to be a very productive week at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (CBBT). Fly and light tackle equipment was used to catch large numbers of striped bass each day during the week.

The stripers were very active in water temperatures of 44.6 degrees on both sunny and cloudy days.

Light Tackle Equipment Used: 6', MH, Fast Tip Spinning Rod - 2500 Series Spinning Reel - 30# Fiber Line - 30# Fluorocarbon Leader

Most Productive Lure: Flat Head, 2 ounce, Chartreuse Bucktail with a 5", Chartreuse/Glitter Bass Assassins attached.

Ben Holding a Nice Striper

Most Productive Technique:
After locating the fish, drift across them and cast out. Count the lure down, keeping the rod tip just above the water while moving it from 12 o'clock to 10 o'clock, horizontally, while jigging. You are swimming the lure past the fish rather than jigging above them.

Note: Vertical jigging was not very productive.

Justin (father) and Keith (son) Decker where fly fishing for the 1st time in order to catch striped bass. They both picked up the technique swiftly and were landing stripers within the first hour.

Father & Son Enjoying Quality Time on the Water

Keith with an 18# Striped Bass

Fly Fishing Equipment Used: Orvis, Helios 9 Weight Saltwater Rod - Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor Reel - Orvis, Generation 3, Density Compensating Sinking Fly Line - 20# Fluorocarbon Tippet

Baltimore Boat Show Seminars:
Fri, Jan. 23, 2009 - 2 pm - Locating Striped Bass without Birds
Sat, Jan 24, 2009 - 4 pm - Fishing for Trophy Striped Bass on the Susquehanna Flats
Sun, Jan 25, 2009 - Noon - Maximizing Your GPS/Plotter/Fish Finder

#17 ·
copied from freshwater fatties of 2009

Fished a local river from about 10 to 4 yesterday. Spent about an hour of that catching bait. Back ends of all the creeks had a fair bit of ice on them. Water on the main river was 41F +/-. Had three hits, two came to the boat...they went 37 and 26 lbs. Man were they sluggish! I never cease to be amazed at how these fish will eat a big bait even when the water is COLD. Was fishing alone and forgot the camera so all I had was the phone camera...hence the not so great pics.

No matter what, the odds of catching are better when you've got hooks in the H2O. :bluegrin:

#21 ·

wtg, SSN!!!! you've started the year out in a big way....can't wait for 'em to show up in the
tailraces down here.

btw...looking at the first pics in this thread, i can't tell whether yall were fishing in a big fog or a some funny lookin' blubird skies...lol :a_goodjob:

#22 ·

wtg, SSN!!!! you've started the year out in a big way....can't wait for 'em to show up in the
tailraces down here.

btw...looking at the first pics in this thread, i can't tell whether yall were fishing in a big fog or a some funny lookin' blubird skies...lol :a_goodjob:
Thanks SR! The striped fish gods have been very kind to me for a while now. Then again they have much prior history to the contrary to make up for with me!!! :4996:

Yeah! You're right about that day....it was really weird weather!!

Had another pretty good day today, 1/24. Report and pics to follow but we had 6 hits, 4 of which came on two doubles. Boated 3 that weighed 21, 22 and 30 lbs.

Ya know those fish don't leave the river when they disperse from the tailrace SR. Maybe I should come help you search for 'em. LOL :bluegrin:

:icon_stirthepot:

#23 ·

Despite a 30 so degree temp drop overnight with winds out of the north at 10-15 went back to the river with our older son 1/24. Didn't have high hopes on the back side of such a hard front but we've been trying to get out together for quite a while so we just said the heck with it and went anyway.

Got baits in the water around 11 . About 1:15 or so as we were working our way along the structure that I fished on Thursday the bait behind the front board got nailed....took a little drag and came unbuttoned. Reeled in to rebait and as we were preparing to stick the fresh bait the bait on the back board got smacked. It was this 30 lb'er.

Circled back around to make another pass....as soon as the baits got into the area the first two hits came from the bait on the back board got nailed. My son grabbed the rod and started to fight the fish...about then the bait on the front board got eaten. Then the fish my son had on came unbuttoned. Boated the other one...it was this spunky 22 lb'er.

Made a couple more passes before we got hit again. Pretty much the same scenario....the baits got into this one little area...bait on the back board got eaten....I just kept working the boat along the structure while my son fought the fish...then the bait on the front board got eaten. Ran and grabbed the rod...in a few seconds the fish was off. Turned out the main hook had turned back into the bait and the stinger just missed 'em. Boated the fish my son had on...it was a 21 lb fish.

Considering it was on the back side of a hard cold front, we had north winds and the air temp never made it out of the 30's not a bad day at all! Basically 4.5 hrs of striper fishing in definitely sub-par conditions and 3 20+ lb fish in the boat.

#25 ·

Thanks Bill. Like I said above, some of the fish gods wicked treatment of me in the past is being balanced out lately. :10187:

Surely I'm not the only guy here that's out fishing freshwater stripers right now am I????

C'mon guys. Let's see 'em. :smile:

#26 ·

That's a good thing! I haven't gone out lately, I did for the first time in a while today at the Palmdale aqueduct, and nada. My mom had a heart attack and she is home now, feeling better but still not doing good as good as she should be. Gates haven't been open, they were open late at night about 12:00 midnight. They cutback on the water flow due to the Protected Smelt and lack of water they said. Hopefully someone else will post. Well again :a_goodjob: two thumbs up for ya!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.