Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2009 SEASON !!!! Pictures - Fresh and Saltwater stripers

63K views 187 replies 97 participants last post by  BigBassJim 
#1 ·
#110 ·
It was time again for the annual June Cape Cod trip. The spring run on the Hudson was good, but this is saltwater...a whole different ballgame. My buddy Brian and I tow his boat, the Salty Minnow, a 19' center console Key West out to Dennis a couple times every year, but June is always the trip we most anticipate. This year our buddy Scotty joined us, braving the salt spray despite a broken foot.

We fished the small waters friday for small schoolies, and it was pretty inconsistent, with some spots being loaded with little guys, other spots being barren.

Saturday it was time for light tackle in big water. We headed over to our favorite spot and after a good two hours of searching, we found fish relating to the bait...and were they ever aggressive! Every time we motored up to the up to the school, we would triple up. Fish were nice sized too, averaging about 27", but enough 30"+ fish to keep it interesting on the light freshwater gear we use. It was an amazing day with an impossible number of fish caught and the weather was unbeatable too.

Brian, with the biggest of the day, a nice fatty 38.5" fish.

Sunday it was time for Tuna. With light winds in the forcast, we made the long run offshore. We found plenty of bait but the tuna would not show. Plenty of whales though. And some accidental stripers too. They were constantly on our tuna baits.

even got my new pb, this fat 26lb 39.5" momma (which wouldn't stop kicking for the pic, hence the constipated look on my face:bluegrin:)

At that point, we had enough of the lack of tunafish, so we headed back toward shore. We did come upon two schools of tuna on the way back in. One was a school of 6 or so Buick sized bluefins that just left us in awe. Of course it doesn't help when someone goes to throw a tuna popper at them and the line snaps when the leader knot catches in the guides. :whistle: DOH!!! buh bye $15 lure.:dizzy: Glad it wasn't my lure:redbiggrin:

So off we go in search of legal stripers. Headed to the nearest sandy drop off, and wouldn't ya know, but it was loaded with stripers. Really solid fish too. They were averaging around 30", but with lots of 33"-37" fish thrown in. Here we go again.

A nice blue even decided to make an appearance.

After all the striper catching, we had one more morning before it was back to home, so Scotty took his girlfriend with us, and we all got into a ton of stripers. All four of us hooked up at once 12 times total monday morning. At times there were fish coming up to bait completely around the boat

my sand papered thumb

We called it a day at 10 and headed bay to NY. Overall it was the most amazing weekend of fishing of my entire life. Sat, Sun, and Mon were all the greatest single days of fishing I have ever seen. I will not even throw numbers out here in terms of fish caught just because they are not believable.

We even had fish going berserk on poppers. I took some videos of the stripers crashing bait and a pencil popper that I will post at a later time.

#112 ·
Re: Black Falcon

BF finally gave one up to me on Monday night. Just made the keeper mark. Although everyone else in the place wouldn't have cared if it wasn't. Nobody's got any frickin' honor. Buncha' damn poachers all of 'em! Well most of 'em anyways. What can ya do. Keep hittin' the water boyz there's fish out there somewhere's, here's one of 'em.

#114 ·
The bite for me hasn't been red hot but the quality of the fish has made up for it. Did a mix of live bait fishing with BIG scup and trolling the tube & worm over the last 2 days.

We scored fish from 35 to 45lbs with both techniques and had some others in the mid twenties.

The fish we trolled up on the T&W were strong fighters and made for some excitment on the light tackle...

#119 ·
Re: The Bay of Fundy

The Bay was great this past weekend. The fishing seems to be improving each year. The amount of fishers seems to be increasing also. Here's some photos of this weekends fish, first keeper was consumed by myself and John straight-up cooked over a Coleman stove with a clamato chaser.:bbq2:

Attachments

#123 ·
i havent had much luck this year as this is only my 2nd keeper, but this is a big fish! it sure put up one hell of a fight, i didnt really have my reel set up right, i had to grab the spool a couple times to keep it from taking all of my backing off. I caught it in fairhaven with a pogie chunk. 44 inches, 27 pounds

Attachments

#126 ·
Chartered Monday & Tuesday out of Niantic... what a difference a day makes. The bite has been all screwy for me this season.

On... off...on again... off again... geezzzzzz....

Monday.... off - Tuesday....ON!

The only real dependable bite has been with the trolling tubes/spoons.
Normally, the bigger fish come on live bait but Tuesday the tubes took some beauties! I've been working some old spots in different ways lately by running the tubes deeper on the outgoing tides and that's been the ticket.

#129 ·
I fish the South Shore of RI and it seemed every moron on the planet was out this weekend in their boat! I was swamped on both of my outings by guys simply not paying attention. I am beginning to really hate boaters! As a boat fisherman and yak fisherman, I'm torn.
The weekend was great. The area my dad and I fished was plugged with boats which is extremely unusual, very shallow water. We weree trolling tube&worm rigs and outfishing the boats 3 to 1. Caught over 15 fish from the kayak alone! Great weekend!

:usa:

Attachments

#130 ·
We went out last night. On the way we seen this, and threw some bucktails

Thinking they were Blues working bunker, thought we would kill some time & have a little fun, they were stripers. A lot were keepers, we worked them for about an hour. Almost every cast was a hookup!

My fishing partner kept one.

Then we had a few nice drifts over a wreck, landed around 6 more over 30"
I kept one at 36" for the Wifey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.