Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2009 SEASON !!!! Pictures - Fresh and Saltwater stripers

63K views 187 replies 97 participants last post by  BigBassJim 
#1 ·
#56 ·
Freshwater Fatties of 2009....

I took my youngest daughter to weldon this saturday to catch some stripers.she has only ever caught one and she wasnt but 4 or 5 and cant remember it.We caught around 25 or so.Here is Megan reeling her first one in.

. here it is in the boat,she didnt want to hold it so I did and had my bud Donny snap the shot.

and the 6 keepers (3 person limit) that made the ride back to SC with Megan and I

Megan counted 121 boats on the way back up river from where we fished.Man it was some kinda crowded.

#61 ·
Fatties of 2009!!!! Get the cameras ready!!!]

April 28

We had a pick of fish in the early part of the trip. 5 keepers to 14 lbs and as many shorts for 10 passengers. Thanks for sailing with us today. We hope you had a great time as we did! This is the calm before the storm people! It is going to bust wide open very very soon and we will be all over them. Night trips will begin soon and we will let you know asap!

Attachments

#62 ·
Fatties of 2009!!!! Get the cameras ready!!!]

Today we had Peter, Joe and Ken on board and we treated to some fine bass fishing. A limit of bass to 18 lbs some shorts and an 8 lb bluefish we landed on the Parker with Capt. Rich.
ANGLER Fleet Departs EVERYDAY at 6:30am no reservations are needed (unless we are charterd, please check our schedule)
This weekend is open boat so come on down we are sailing rain or shine. Hope to see you out with us!

Attachments

#63 ·

Got lucky and caught two tagged fish tuesday,one fresh tagged

and one that was almost ten thousand numbers less.It will be six weeks or so before I find out how long and where they were tagged.Heres the one that had been tagged for a while

#65 ·
Re: Freshwater Fatties of 2009....

Awful lot of dead fish on this thread. I know not all watersheds can produce trophy class fish, and that within the limits of the law anyone with a license has a legal right to keep some, but especially on freshwater fisheries if you want a chance at big ones, you've got to let the small ones go! They sure aren't gonna grow anymore once you throw 'em in the cooler. Ok...off my soapbox for now...just a pet peeve with me. :icon_stirthepot:

Ok, here are some we've boated in the last month or so. Nothing under 25 lbs in these photos, most were over 30 and a few 40+. There were many more in the 20-25 lb range that aren't shown here. How about these Floatsum? :bluegrin:

FWIW, ALL of these fish were released for someone else to catch when they're bigger yet!

And my personal favorite because of what it says about the effectiveness of catch and release....that's mono coming out the fishes vent and it's been there long enough for stuff to grow on it.....these two photos are the only repeats in this post....

#71 ·
Re: Fatties of 2009!!!! Get the cameras ready!!!]

Greetings! My first post here on Stripers247 will be my 1st striper of 2009.

Caught aboard the Jib VI out of Captree Long Island, NY Saturday May 2nd. About 10:30pm. We were fishing near the Fire Island light house.. There were huge schools of bunker swarming the boat and everyone was pulling in Blues left and right... I let my line sit awhile then did a super slow return and Wham!

#72 ·
Re: Fishing Reports - 2009

I just got this photo from last Friday's trip. Pictured with me is Chris, who did a nice job on the rod. The 31-pounder nearly spooled him, but some extra pressure stopped the fish and he was able to bring her to the net. We had a near heart attack when she actually tore through the landing net, which must have been damaged by bluefish. Fortunately, the line & hook held, and we got her in the boat.

Congrats Chris on a great fish, and a great RELEASE

Attachments

#76 ·

started off around 7am...herring caught...we had chunk, live, and everything in between....no takers all morning..then my uncle caught what I think is a freshwater drum on the sabiki...about 16"....an hour later I hooked this slob(larger Drum I than before)...thought it was a striper..great fight....heading out tomorrow PM...

#80 ·
Fatties of 2009!!!! Pictures - Fresh and Saltwater stripers

Decided my boat needed to get salty so we headed out of Niantic this morning in search of some keeper stripers. We caught the tide at Hatchetts Reef and although we marked a few we couldn't connect.
So off to the warm water in Waterford we went where every year I can find some early fish. We banged a few shortys right up close but couldn't find anything big enough for dinner.
As the tide came in and the rip set-up I added some weight to the keels and followed the warm water a bit east in 30ft depths. That was the ticket. We were rewarded with several 24-29" stripers and a nice eating size blue. The action wasn'r hot & heavy but it was good enough to keep frank & I smiling with several double hook-ups on the Scarlet, Bubblegum and Orange tubes.
It won't be long now with the surface temps around LIS just hitting 50 degrees. I still think the CT River is the best bet but it was great being out on the sound for the 1st time in 2009.
Here's a little video and some pics...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.