Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Fatties of 2008!!!! Get the cameras ready!!!]

65K views 156 replies 105 participants last post by  GRIZZ 
#1 ·
Post pictures of your 2008 fatties here.

DO NOT POST WITHOUT PICTURES

edit: = jim rebuild thread

#131 ·
Tom Hughes Guide Service
410.744.2351 Office Full Time 443.690.3164 Boat
Fly & Light Tackle Fishing Guide

The fishing is becoming more productive each day and the larger fish are finally starting to move in.

Most Productive Lure: 7" Bass Assassin, Chartreuse Glitter rigged on a 1 to 1 1/2 ounce jighead.

Most Productive Technique:
After locating the fish, drift across them and cast out. Count the lure down, keep the rod tip just above the water, moving it from 12 o'clock to 10 o'clock horizontally while jigging. You are swimming the lure past the fish rather than jigging above them.
NOTE: Vertical jigging was not very productive.

Capt. Tom Hughes
Fly & Light Tackle Full Time Guide
2 CBBT Trips Dates Left

#132 ·
Team Smack went to Lake Cumberland last weekend. Found the stripers in the jumps in the back end of a creek arm. The stripers were keyed in on small 2 inch threadfin shad. The only lure they would hit was the Shallow Gizz 3. We tried Gizz 4's but the stripers would only follow it back to the boat. We caught several stripers in the 10 to 12 lb range. That night we fished the same area. Todd caught 3 on Deep Diving Red Head Gizz 4's. I got the skunk on me that night. The next day, went back to the same area. The conditions had changed with cloudy skies and very windy. We tried some bottom fishing but only caught 2 channel cats. We fished that area again that night with Deep Diving Red Heads but didn't get a bite. We tried the main lake but skunked there also. We then headed to the mouth of another creek and we both caught nice stripers on Deep Diving Red Head Gizz 4's. The last day, we went back to the mouth of the creek we fished the night before. Got there and see birds diving. It's a small school of stripers that were moving fast. We couldn't keep up with them so we left them and tried to find the birds again. Didn't find the birds, but did find a school of stripers busting shad on the surface. We fished this school off and on for 3 hrs. The shallow Gizz 3 was the only lure they would hit again. We ended up catching many stripers until it got dark and the school went down. We fished this same area at night again with the Deep Diving Red Head Gizz 4's and Todd got two more nice stripers. Here is the biggest one I caught when the stripers were in the jumps. Note the Shallow Gizz 3 in the fishes mouth.

Attachments

#133 ·
Tony, Wayne, Don and I headed out to see if we could find some more nice Rockfish. It was a bit slow today for us we missed four fish and managed to scrape out one fish for Tony his personal best, a 48" 44 pound Striper.

Drifted eels from the 4a to the highrise outgoing tide 48.9 degree water. Slow day for us we missed four fish due to one particular eel that kept hooking himself???

Thanks to Don Tony and Wayne!!!

#136 ·
Tommy, JC and I head out for some more trophy Stripers and today we had to work for them. Started the day at buoy 18 off Kiptopeke drifting eels. Nada. Made three drifts in that general area with nothing to show for our efforts so we moved up to Plantation light. Nothing again. We picked up and ran east of the highrise to the buoy 10 area, looked around but saw nothing on the bottom machine that sparked our interest. Pushed out a bit east and found what we were looking for between the 6 and 8 buoys in about 30 feet picked two right away a 42" and a 41". Moved a bit north to the edge of Nautilus shoal and picked another fish in the 40" range and while we were snapping pics another rod goes down and JC boats a very nice 49" fish headed home with four fish over 40" great day on the water.

50 degree water, fished the end of the incoming and the beginning of the outgoing, eels, all but one came on a free lined line very close to the boat and very shallow.

Thanks to Tommy and JC!!!

#138 ·
Well since it has been a long time for fishing, I had a feeling to go up and try to land a striper in the aqueduct and so went up and casting out about a few times and nothing so I moved into a bend and landed this half breed of Striper and Hybrid. I think it is a deformity at birth. Well it was 6.6 lbs and 25.5 inches long. It hit me hard. icon_santa.gif MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!
STRIPER BILL AND FAMILY

Attachments

#141 ·
Congrats to you guys on those big ones.:smiliegrd: I just fish the aqueduct and my biggest was 30.25 lbs with a 20.5 behind it. Happy New Year and may you get an even bigger one this new year!

Hope to some day land a bigger one in the aqueduct bigger than the 30.25 lber.:gob_icon_cheers:Happy New Year to all.

Attachments

#140 ·
Here's some more fish that I've caught throughout the summer and fall, I caught a lot of scoolies but not many big ones, they all were caught jigging and casting lures except the first fish pictured was caught trolling umbrellas. Most were released unharmed (I hope)

#145 ·
Nice fish guys.

Here are some of the better fish I, or my friends when fishing with me, have boated in the last 12 months. All of these are freshwater fish that weighed 25 lbs or more and were released to be caught again. Sorry about some of the goofy distortions but you never know who's lurking around out there and I've had some problems with that before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.