Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2007 - The Year In Review Pictorial - Stripers247

43K views 134 replies 43 participants last post by  GreatSouthBayBucktails 
#1 ·
Merry Christmas icon_santa.gif

This thread will be a year in review thread. I will combine and copy posts from other threads.
Add your highlights too if you like. Ok we'll see how it goes. I cheated a little and added ricks Video and this post predates it to 2006.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!
Lets hope 2008 brings everyone everything the've ever wanted.
50 from the surf,

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Night fishing for river/dam Stripers?!?

Anthony,
I've fished til 2 am on Lake Cumberland last Dec., casting Gizz4 crankbaits just to the bank from boat, and retrieving as slow as possible.
We were fishing clay banks, were ever you'd find shad, even the skips you mentioned, I'd cast cranks, jigs, etc.
We also fished a hot water discharge til 11 pm, snowing and cold, but stripers/wipers were biting.
Same Gizz4 crankbait, but wading and casting into mix of hot water and Ohio River water mix.
I say go for it, and enjoy the excitement of not seeing when that Momster Striper hits a top water or shallow crank!

#8 ·
Surface temps still 51 @ 6:30 this morning, and warmed quickly to 56 by 11:00am. Boated 10 of those little drag burners this morning. Picked up a "bonus" 3#LMB and a 12.5# channel. Seven fish came between 6:45am and 7:30 am, then they quit. Picked up three stragglers and the bonus fish from 7:30 to 11:00. Pleasure boats and jet skis in droves by 11:00 am. Lake got rough, and I bugged out. Everything came on boards dragging bait from the surface to 10 feet. Seen several blow-ups early.

Yours truly with an average Hyb.

Good friend with a better Hyb.

#9 ·
Re: More Monroe Rockets!!!

Oh, Yaz, I thought I saw a boat that I thought must have been your boat leaving Monroe as I was entering, about 12:30-1:30 p.m. on Sunday. Did not do a thing in the afternoon that day, but had to leave before the good bite started. Fished Friday, the 27th, and had no luck, but my partner who I now mistrust and dislike passionately got four wipers but managed to take in only one, a 7.4 pounder. Mr. P finally outfished me. I, I suppose, am in a slump. Anyway, here's his fish:

Some days he makes me ill! Water temps ditto. Nice day. Windier than Sunday, and I thought I should have caught some. He took his on Berkeley Frenzies. Oh! he actually caught four, but this was the only one that got boated. One of them broke one of the hooks off a new treble hook fresh out of the package.

Glad you had a good day on the water. Hope to catch up soon.

Attachments

#14 ·
Re: First report of stripers,,Nova Scotia

Went down to Stewiacke River after work last nite for a couple hrs. Took Dad who is 83yrs old and a friend's 12yr old son with me as he loves to fish and no one in his family has the fishing fever. Got to the river and you could see single fish jumping and rolling. We fished for awhile, then I heard his reel screaming and him hollering. After a "dramatic" battle I got it in the net for him and it weighed 7.8lbs and 28 ins long. On the way down I was explaining about catch and release, so he looked at me and then at the fish and asked if he could keep it cause it was the biggest fish that he ever caught. I laughed and told him to keep it, remembering how it felt to catch big fish when you are a kid. He had him hooked real deep and it was bleeding bad, so it would've died anyway. I landed a 7.14lb ,,28in male after that,,I kept it and gave it to Dad as he loves them and don't fish very much now. Anyway it was a fine evening of fishing and three people were very happy.
Dobb

#15 ·

Thought I would try the bay yesterday{Saturday} ,,no luck at all. Seen a couple of 26inchers caught, but that was it. Went to Stewiacke River today . I got a 27in and 29 in and my 83yr old Dad got a 24,,26,,and a 28in. We relased them all. Not too bad of a day. Here's a pic of dad and his 26 in striper.
Dobb

Attachments

#16 ·

Back to Stewiacke River yesterday, action starting to slow down ,,spawning is pretty much over. Managed to get three between, two keepers for supper tonite and a smaller on. The Bay of Fundy is starting to produce some stripers so I'll start fishing in the bay . Here's a pic of the two 27 inchers we got yesterday and a pic of the river.
Dobb

Attachments

#17 ·
We left very early for the Chesapeake Light Tower, which is 13 miles off shore of Virginia.

This is what it looked like when we were coming up on the Chesapeake Light Tower. There were about 50 boats there. I have see many more there.

Spade Fish

They fight pretty hard. They will give you quite a work out.

Picture of the Chesapeake Light Tower.

Holding Spade fish.

Our catch.

Decked our for fishing. LOL What a site. I get really dirty while fishing. I do most of the baiting and handle getting the bait ready which can be messy. I do handle a lot of the fish when when it comes in. Others started doing it later in the day.

Getting the fish ready for the diner table. Nice filet's.

#19 ·
Getting Better

I finally happened to walk onto a jetty while the fish were still there, 3rd cast had a 23 lb'er and followed that with a teener, both on bright green pencil popper.....my first ever fish on pencils. The fishing lasted a good hour that I was there, my buddy Sean got 3 fish, his largest was 37 Lbs, it was a great night....I need a jetty gaff. Here's a few pics of da fish, I should have gotten some pics of the bedlam, it got prety wild on the rocks and in the water.
View attachment 2452

View attachment 2453

Nice neighborhood of million dollar homes we used for a backdrop.

I should mention that Sean got that fish when he stopped retrieving his plug for a moment so that another angler could walk under him while fighting his fish, while Sean is standing there with his rod up in the air, the fish hit and tried to pull him in.

Attachments

#20 ·
Hello all,this is my first post here.After looking around this site for awhile and absorbing the great info Roccus shares on here I decided to try what I learned on the Merrimack last weekend.We loaded up the skiff and got to the state park boat ramp at 7:20 pm......................20 minutes too late according to the gate keeper BangHead.gif .After some begging and pleading she decides to let us in because there's fireworks that night. Fireworks?Ohh great. We launch the skiff and idle out into the boat parking lot,ahh I mean river.Amazingly we get across the channel without getting run over and try to find some out of the way water.We end up by a small bridge and it's fairly quiet,we only hit the prop like 8 times getting there but oh well the tides coming anyway.Just as we throw out our first eels the fireworks start and all the boats start blowing their horns,needless to say the fishing is kind of slow except for the small bluefish which are eagerly chomping our eels in half.Finally around 1 am when everything is starting to settle down,the thunderstorm decides to roll through :eek:.Now the fireworks were pretty good,but nothing compared to what mother nature had to offer.No amusement park ride can give you the anxiety of a good lightning storm when your on the water holding fiberglass fishing rods.Well the storm passes and we're soaked but not fried thumbsup.gif. Finally everything is calm and quiet and the bass start cooperating to salvage the trip.We'll definitely be back,but next time it will be on a week night.This weekend it's off to the Kennebeck to see what that has to offer.Good luck all and thanks again to Roccus for sharing his secrets to success on this site.This fish came out of 3 feet of water that night....................................

#21 ·
Got an email invite from a friend Tuesday morning. Dan just got his "new" used boat, a 16 Starcraft with a 40 hp Merc. He asked me if I would like to come down to Plum Island for the maiden fishing trip. We were going to christen the boat. He didn't have to ask twice.
So it was 95 Southbound. The Merrimack River Bridge in the distance.

Here were our fishing grounds. Joppa Flats and Plum Island.

I made it.

We stopped in for some hooks, swivels and some extra eels. Don't get here very often. Saw Roccus's 61 pound striper photo on the wall. Kay was very helpful.

Dan told me the fox were overrunning the island. We pulled into his street and I thought I saw a cat run under a guys porch. Second look told me it was a kit fox.
Next house down I saw this adult fox. As the fireworks were going off around us at dusk from Dan's second story porch we watched a fox walk right down the tar road like he owned it.

#22 ·
Re: The Merrimack River, eels and cows 07/04/07

We started the nights fishing around 1030 PM. It was slow. Tide was incoming. It was a 3 AM high tide. Dan got the first fish of the night a 25".

Then Dan caught the second fish of the night, a 46".

When the tide came to the top we tried downtown Newburyport. First drift and the bluefish cleaned us up. We got out of there quick. We decided to go back to the flats.
Dan caught another 28". I was kinda bumming. I had had some bites, even a nice fish on for a while before the circle hook let go. But then it was my turn. 36"

Then it was Dan's turn again. Another 46". They looked like twins in the bottom of the boat.

Just as it was getting light in the east I hooked up for the last fish of the night a 37"

Daybreak on Joppa Flats.

We ended our trip back at Surfland. Dan's bass weighed in at 34 pounds apiece.
Best picture on the board was a 32.5 pound fish Dan's friend had caught a week ago. Dan was top dog on the picture board when we left.

Thanks for the invite Dan. I had a blast.
Coalman

#23 ·
Got an early start on the Bay Saturday morning. The two lights in the distance are Pease in Newington. Durham on your left. Greenland on your right.

I have been hearing reports of pogies. While checking my lobster traps at the mouth of the Oyster River I saw the tell tale ripples. Snagged a couple.

They were of the large variety. Lots of worries but no hits. I got a little lazy and just let the pogie free drift. I paid for it. Darn bluefish.

#24 ·
Here are some of my better photos of the day and night.

Gunny's seminar. Fishing the points and rips of Beavertail.

Q&A with Roccus.

Briggs and better half.

Sunset was coming. Time to gear up.

2 AM with Smulax's striper.

A view of our south easterly morning fishing grounds.

Good friends = good times.
Coalman

#25 ·
Re: Beavertail Point pictorial

lets see...we got..the man who put this whole thing together..the gunny..:notworthy:...im gonna name that plug the gunny4290...and the short one the gs42...then we have the eel master....roc...with the man of the hour...mr jimbo....mikey....never fall asleep at a party....this pic has many possibilities in the blue room...you must have been tired after landing the only known bassy...roc..pulling his pork at 3am.....and the hardcores...the morning after...

i got a few more to resize..hold on....oh btw...hey floatsum..where the hell were you when i had the camera out?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.