Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2007 - The Year In Review Pictorial - Stripers247

43K views 134 replies 43 participants last post by  GreatSouthBayBucktails 
#1 ·
Merry Christmas icon_santa.gif

This thread will be a year in review thread. I will combine and copy posts from other threads.
Add your highlights too if you like. Ok we'll see how it goes. I cheated a little and added ricks Video and this post predates it to 2006.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!
Lets hope 2008 brings everyone everything the've ever wanted.
50 from the surf,

Attachments

See less See more
#80 ·
Re: Cape Cod Canal Area Gathering

jimi i shoulda let it hit that woman. gunny saw me almost nail her and he gave a heads up and she still hung out behind me like she wanted a 2/0 in her lip. she kept walking behind me and i got pissed and nailed the backcast and aborted just in time. she didnl;t walk behind me again; i took the pic down cause it was a shitty thing to do to such a nice guy like yourself. on the way home jim was telling me didn;t you think he was a nice guy. whatta you think

Attachments

#83 ·
I have a week off in October to chase fall turkey with a shotgun in Maine and NH. Since this forum wasn't here last spring I would like to introduce you to the "Log Pile Field". I shot a spring turkey here in 2006.

Forward fast to 2007. The morning I hunted the field I noticed the loggers left a pile of logs in the field. It was right in the middle of the field so I thought it would make a natural blind. I set out one decoy and slipped into the log pile. 2 hours later I had the " Log Pile Gobbler". 21 lbs 9.5" beard and 1 1/4" spurs.

The "Log Pile". "Boss Hollow" in the background.

I took my brother in law back a couple weeks later.

Then my hunting partner.

Now you know a little about the Log Pile Field.

Went to Maine scouting this morning in search of wild turkeys. The plan was to check out some fields south of the Log Pile Field and then make my way to the Log Pile Field and then out to the truck. There are some beautiful four wheeler trails out there so you seldom have to backtrack.
This picture is of the southern fields looking back toward the mountain. There were four gobblers here this spring. The Log Pile Field is on the other side of the mountain.

It was a good walk to the field but one thing was noticeably missing. No acorns in the hardwoods. Ya maybe one or two but the wind blew yesterday and there should have been more. So off to the other side of the mountain.
This is a picture of where the trail meets the Log Pile Field. I love it here.
I had hoped to see some birds but nope.

After a couple miles in some beautiful hardwoods I still had not seen any turkey sign. I wasn't disappointed yet because I knew if I could find some nuts I would find the birds. I kept on going deeper into the woods. I was heading down to Boss Hollow.

The ground flattens out and goes down to a brook. Then like a switch on the trail there were white oak acorns. Some then lots. Then the turkey sign. The place was rolled. Lots of scratching.

I continued to the brook and the scratchings ran out with the nuts. This spot is a country mile from any road. I can see the four wheeler now in the back of my pick up heading to the Log Pile Field on October 13.

#84 ·
Here is a pic of my Brother Mike with his 10 point Blackpowder buck shot at 11:10 am. on opener day. It field dressed 198 lbs. and had a 21" spread he was an old deer cause his teeth were almost worn out. It is very warm for our season to be hunting you have to get em cooled down fast sitting in a stand you wish you were fishing instead with the weather so good!

#85 ·
Re: The official I am going to Montauk Thread

Got back from M on Thursday, and here is what we saw:

Albies busting on bait mon/tues morning for hours......3000 casts later, they were all swimming.

Saw very few fish caught , but did see guys walking around with fish, some large, during the daytime.

For us, all bass came well after dark on the beaches below the snack stand....and even though we had $1,000.00 worth of wood with us, ALL bass were caught on blurple bombers. All of 'em.

Sudsy is correct when he says that the Montauk Bakery ROCKS!!!!!! Place is fulla good stuff, remember, pay for your coffee first. For lunch, the deli right around the corner prepares some manly style sammiches. We ate pizza every night from the Pizza place right on the main drag just before you get to the bakery, and we waded out into the night shift with very full bellies.

We started most days with a coffee and something tasty from the bakery, and went to check out the town beaches pre-sunrise.....but on Thursday morning, we went straight to Hero to have a look around, a half hour later a very pretty surfcaster told us about the bass and blues blitz we had missed in town that morning, including the 40 that some lucky SOB weighed in. :pbdoi:
We tried to get ahead of the fish, but came up empty.

M is beautiful, if you've never been, like I had, you can'i help but admire the scenery, here's a preview:

View attachment 3580

I thought we had planned our trip late enough to ensure cool weather and water, but I think you guys have a better chance of that than we got, so catch 'em up. I heard the wind was a factor the week previous, but for us the place was Lake Atlantic, low slow rollers coming in, they didb't have the energy to break, for the most part.

Oh Yeah, final tally for our trip,
Sean - 2 Bluefish and 2 Bass, he gets big fish - 31"
Ed - 5 Bass all under 31", with one 4 fish night (While Sean went fishless.....ouch)

Like I said, not the final results we would have hoped for, but we did not see anyone else bailing fish either....hope the planets align for you guys.

Attachments

#86 ·
Re: The official I am going to Montauk Thread

Out to Browns from the Cliffs at Kings

Taking a Break

Afternoon Light

Rolling Dunes from Hither Hills

Looking East from The End - Block Island

Alien Rock at Driftwood Cove

And a pair of maps that might make life easier

#87 ·
Re: My 2007 Fall Turkey hunting diary

10/15/07
This morning was the first hard frost I have seen this fall. Turkeystalker and I made it to our blinds at our pre planned time. We each had a decoy. Things were slow for the first hour and a half. No moose calling or roost gobbling today. I watched the sun rise and paint the mountains red and orange.
The Mustang Blind.

About 0800 I heard a sharp cluck from the top corner of the field.

A hen came out. Following her were over thirty turkeys. The stayed at the top of the field and scolded my decoy. They said in no uncertain terms that this lone hen belonged with the flock.
I called only a little and very softly. After about 15 minutes one big hen started down the field toward the decoy.

The big group started down the field. The lead hen was very big. But it was the bird behind her with a pencil thin swinging beard that caught my eye. A bearded hen. She was second in line. The birds passed the last bush that blocked my view. The big hen came out first. I cocked the hammer and got ready. The second bird out was another adult hen. Had to look twice for the beard. Notta. The third bird was the charm. I laid the hammer down.
Thinking of my hunting partner who watched the whole thing from a quarter mile away I flushed the flock. They went everywhere. Turkeystalker came up in double time. We tagged the bird took some pictures and got back down to business. We heard birds in every direction. I called in at least twenty more birds today from the initial flush. I counted at least seven TS called in himself.
The action got hot after I filled my tag. But it was the only tagged filled today. After watching Turkeystalker I wished I had stock in Remington.

Adult hen turkey.

6.75 " beard

R.I.P

I'll end with this. I watched those birds at least 15 minutes before they came. When they were coming single file and ready to commit I had everything under control. Breathing was good. I wasn't shaking. But one thing I did notice was my heart was pumping out of my chest.
I love turkey hunting. :D
Next stop NH with mmkunk and Ziggy. It ain't over yet. ;)

#88 ·
My 2007 Fall Turkey hunting season has ended

10/17/07
Sad and happy.
Those are the emotions I am feeling now. Sad that it is over but happy I got to spend time in the woods and harvest a couple mature wild turkey hens.
I started yesterday morning alone on a piece of property Skunk showed me the night before. Daybreak came and went with no turkey calling to greeting my ears. On a stroll around the property I spotted a turkey in the field by my truck. When I got the binos on it I noticed it only had one leg. It was a decoy. So knowing I had company it was time to back out.
The other hunter saw me coming back to the truck and also decided to pack up. We talked for a few moments. He asked me about fall hunting and the calls I used. I showed him the kee kee and the assembly yelps.
I think he was impressed. Since he was local and I a traveler he invited me to hunt with him on a field they had seen some turkey on the day before. He didn't have to ask twice.
There was some active fenced pasture along the side of the field we were going to hunt. I counted 18+ birds including another bearded hen and a monster gobbler on the drive by. We set up in the field and called. The only thing we got were answers to our calls. They told us where they were but would not come. A new friendship started that day. Thanks Dwight.
So it was off to meet up with Ziggy and have a go at it on the mountain.
We were not disappointed. The mountain was loaded with birds. In one section about a mile long we encountered at least four different flocks.
Here are a couple flocks.

3 mature gobblers. Ziggy picked out the largest bird. I picked out the one with the best beard.

Some of the turkeys were on posted land. We needed to find a flock we could hunt freely. On the second drive by of some open land we spotted a flock in the very back of the field. The stalk was on.

Then it was off. They were gone. We took a walk to the back field. Nothing. On the way back to the front field the flock busted us. Two did fly so we spent another hour there. We heard no calling. We did have a nice visit by a red squirrel. Ziggy got lots of pics.

So it was back to the truck to formulate plan 2. As we are making the plan 5 turkeys walk out into the field. Here we go again. We repositioned the truck a little further down the road and began stalk #2. This time we had the woods and field to our advantage. As I crept up to the field edge I could see the turkeys. I had all intentions of running at them like a madman for the flush. As I was getting mentally ready for the mad dash I peered out to get my final bearings on them. Lo and behold they are walking down the field edge right at us. 50, 40, 30 yards. I put my sights on a mature hen at 25 yards......the hammer came down...... and I ended my 2007 Fall Turkey Hunting Season.

10 pound adult hen.

Fall turkey hunting brings full circle my passion for these birds. Now let's see I am thinking of a new thread. My 2008 Spring Turkey Season has started. What do you think?

Some photos of the other mountain flocks.

#89 ·
The 2007 season is officialy in the books for me.. it was a great summer, I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like to sleep more than 4 hours a night!

Here's a few pictures of memorable moments from this season...

Attachments

#91 ·
Re: SO ?????????

first two- 3 am bill and russ hittin em hard and striper jim doin the same.
#3 kary battlin a monster blue
#4 bill and Kary in the middle of a montaulk mini blitz-somewhere way back toward the light is striper jim still on his feet at this point.
#5jim, russ,me, and kary on the beach
i've got a few others and i think Kary does too!
and many thanks to Kyle who was in the room next to us, and a member of the same fishin club as sudsy, for his pointers and puttin up with a bunch of googs.

Attachments

#94 ·
Re: SO ?????????

What a trip! As Jim has already posted sunday was nuts fish blitzing all around the point. I got to say fishing out there is fun and hard. The currents and rocks give the fish a bit of an advantage. But it makes the fight that much better, I can't wait to get back out there.

Even if no fish were caught I still would have had a great time with the guys alll good people!

Heres a pic of the fish I got Sat night/ Sunday Morning in the rocks

#96 ·
Yesterday we had Phil,his 8 year old son Sal,Mark and jeremy out for a 1/2 day trip out of Moriches. We fished the afternoon flood. we found Shad and quickly netted some fresh baits. We drifted through the rips and had incredible action on fish into the 30's gorging on the live baits. Sal had a blast catching a 25 lber then a teen sized bass for his limit. He showed the older guys how it's done! Each angler had nice fish to take home to dinner. They dropped some nice fish on top of the ones they caught.Get in on this hot action while it lasts! We have openings Thurs, Fri and Sunday if anyone is interested in joining us.

Tight Lines!
Capt.Dennis
FAIR CHASE II
WWW.HUNTFISHNY.COM

Attachments

#99 ·
Re: Tennessee Boar Hunt.

Suds this one here was the first taken on Friday the day before we arrived. Maybe rivaling 500 pounds. Powder burn and Grantman. (Bill) Powderburns (Ken) took the largest. Grantmans is close to 300 here.
Suds said:
How'd you hunt them? Rifle, bow, knife between teeth ??
The group agreed to use Flintlock Muzzle loaders. (not so) Funny story about mine. Believe it or not I took a 240 or so pound hog down with a 22 rifle. 5 shots - 4 in the head - one in the heart lungs. A shot behind the ear from 20 yards dropped her for good.
The guides said no one had ever shot a boar there with a 22 before. I said thats because no ones dumb enough to use one. :lff3:
The frizzen spring on my muzzle loader broke away just as I had a big sow sighted. I tried to jury rig it and got 3 sparks, but it was weak and snapped. I had climbed up a half mile mountain to stalk the s.o.b. The fieldstone all along this particular hillside had been uprooted by feeding hogs.
There was an opportunity for a shot with a 45 but the dogs had them bayed and the sow had 5 piglets under her, so i decided to go down and get another gun for another try. Seans gun had a stuck ball and I didnt want to go back to the cabin yet nor was I comfortable with another loaner flint lock. So Gary said to me if you can head shot it try the 22. So instead of going back for a ball puller and more charges I grabbed the .22 and off I went again.

I was last one without one so the pressure was on. Myself and the guide Daniel took the rhino to see if we could spot others. We went down to the lower end of the property where no one had hunted on saturday. All of a sudden a big sow came flying out and I got a shot running at 50 yards - popped it in the head somewhere, and she hit a tree and kept on running. They can really move fast. All of a sudden two of the **** dogs were on her tail and chased her to the road . I waited to see if she'd come back down into the valley and I got 3 shots at her from 75 yards. She took off once more with the dogs right behind. We followed the blood trail where we found her corralled behind some heavy cover where i got within 20 yards to put one behind the ear.
Inspection showed 4 in the coconut and one through the lungs near the heart.
High fives ... dragged her out to the Rhino then off to the butcher. 100 qt cooler full of ham. thumbsup.gif

#100 ·
Re: Tennessee Wild Boar Hunt.

More Pics.

The dogs. thumbsup.gif

Saturday By Lunch time

left to right. Gary in the back, loggy (larry) out front left,Bill , Phil, Sean, Chuck (Berks coflinter1), Shahola skip and Ken (onager)

Greybear Jacks hog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.