Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2007 - The Year In Review Pictorial - Stripers247

43K views 134 replies 43 participants last post by  GreatSouthBayBucktails 
#1 ·
Merry Christmas icon_santa.gif

This thread will be a year in review thread. I will combine and copy posts from other threads.
Add your highlights too if you like. Ok we'll see how it goes. I cheated a little and added ricks Video and this post predates it to 2006.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!
Lets hope 2008 brings everyone everything the've ever wanted.
50 from the surf,

Attachments

See less See more
#52 ·
#53 ·
Re: Popham Beach Phippsburg, ME 08-17/18-07 Pictorial

Here's a few photos I took. Was great to fish with ya'll again thumbsup.gif

Lunch

The ladies. Amanda (right) did a great job cutting up the french fries for lunch.

Gunny did a great job frying em up!

Slap Yo Mama chicken rocks!

Scone explaining to Striperjim how he jerks off...
The two handed technique...

His favorite method...

(sorry couldn't resist,,, actually talking about fishing thumbsup.gif)

Nice cast Smulax thumbsup.gif

#57 ·
Here is a few Pics of some Stripers caught aboard the "HappyAngler." The first evil looking dude is me Capt-n Happy. The second dude is my Brother Mike. The third is Scott and the last is my duck hunting buddies Woody and Allan. Woody Allen I don't think so.......

Attachments

#58 ·
Had a chance to get out with a buddy last night and drown a few eels in the Merrimack River. The action got hot just before and at top of the tide.
Too bad that came at 2 AM. If we didn't have to work today I am sure we would have stayed and seen the sunrise.
Doing a repeat with Captain Danny Friday night into Saturday morning. Guaranteed we will see daybreak on Saturday.
The water temp in the river at 0900 was 74 degrees. When we left 58 degrees. The sea lice came in like grains of salt. No pogies to report but we did see a lot 2" to 3" bait in the spotlight beam.
We both noted that the fish we caught were very skinny.

Here's the captain with his best of the night. 36"

I topped out with a 40"

Dan, we had the scrimmage last night. Game day is Friday. Can't wait.

#59 ·
Have you ever had one of those hunting or fishing partners where good times are bound to happen? I have one, Captain Danny.

Captain Danny invited me to share his boat for an all night fishing trip for striped bass on the Merrimack River last night. I would have needed a pen and paper to keep track of the size and weight of the fish we caught.
I do know we boated 8 fish of which 7 were keepers. Below is a recap of the night in pictures .

Coalman got the night started right.

Danny soon followed

Back to Coalman

To Danny

Highlight of the evening was Captain Danny's 46" 34 lb striper.

The majority of the fish were 34" to 38". The 34 pounder lives to be caught another day.
Thanks Captain Danny

#60 ·
It has been a good season for us on the Mack. All those schoolies we use to chase back in the early 90's have grown up. We have also grown up. Along with that comes some gray hair. But the methods and techniques learned so long ago are still paying off.
The wind was our enemy last night keeping the bass tight to the bankings.
3 fish, two keepers. All released to dual again.

46" 32 lbs

43" 28 lbs

I would like to thank Captain Gary for sharing his boat with me.

#61 ·
Cousin Greg with his prize, 52 inches, 54 lbs 5 oz.

Here is the recap of the hardest fished weekend of my life. Despite fishing every night, I still managed to spend the days at the beach with my wife and 3 kids every day. I really need some sleep!

Thurs. My friend Glen came up, we fished midnight - 4 am, we landed 2 20 pounders and a 25 pounder. I'll get pics up when I download my camera.

Friday coalman came down and we fished 11 pm - 6 am. See his thread "The continuing adventures of Captain Danny and Coalman" for details.

Saturday My cousin Greg and my brother Jonas come out with me. Greg usually makes one fishing trip a year with me and this time he made it count. We headed out at midnight and on our very first drift we hear him say the quote we have jokingly repeated a hundred times already, "I think I got something"

"Something" turned out to be a 52, 54 lbs, 5 oz monster!

Greg followed that one up with the next and last fish of the night, a 38 lbs and 5 oz cow!

And here's one of the 3 of us celebrating at Surfland right when they open, (Sorry Liz for the wake up noise)

I got a few pics on the boat I'll post when I down load the camera.

And finally, worn out and ragged I headed out at midnight Sunday with my buddy Wally who was extremely pumped to get after it after the news from the night before, and despite giving it our best till 7 am we only managed to land 1 dinky little schoolie. Sorry Wally, we'll get 'em next time.

#62 ·
Re: favorite tool

For grouse in Maine: A handed down 16 gauge Stevens side-by-side...perfectly balanced and fits me to the T. Thing has some history to it and is a pleasure to be in the woods with.

For deer in Maine: Either the Savage Model 99e in .308 with a scope, Remington Model 742 Woodsmaster in .308, with iron sights or a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 with iron sights.

Attachments

#63 ·
Re: tide water river in oregon

Justin
Thanks for the report. My best freind is trying to convince me to move up to Oregon But I hate to leave the Stripers here behind. Can You tell me more about the Oregon Stripers Fisheries?

Here's a Recent Catch My friend marty caught on The American River Here in Califronia this past weekend on a Custom Wood Rainbow Trout Spook style lure.

#64 ·
Re: Howdy Fellow Striper Chasers

Take a look at this thread. A video from the Cal Delta / Sherman Lakes area.
Shows a 30 + bass caught by member RicVan Pretty cool.
The Delta's Starting to heat up right now I'm starting to here reports of guys starting to catch a lot of stripers out there. Here's one that was caught last week Near Franks Tract. Not By Me but from a Guy who Ho'd one of my Lures. :smile:

#65 ·
I feel the hunting season mainlining into my blood but the call to the salt is so hard to give up. Especially when the big boys are biting.
Danny and Coalman of the water 09/08/07

My fish had a nasty gash at its vent. Miseries no more. 44" 27 lbs

Danny's lives to fight again. 43" 28 lbs.

Thanks Captain Danny. You are a great guide.

#66 ·
Re: Potomac River Stripers

Usually the fishing picks up great when the weather cools down like in October and November. The fish seem to school up and can be found breaking in the area. Right now I am mostly fishing in the Chesapeake Bay out of Solomons livelining spot but the Blues give me a fit. I like to troll most of the time but Livelining the spot is something new I have tryed this summer and it is fun. I love fishing during the Spring Trophy season in April of each year and you can see some of my photos in the Striper room under Fish Pics from me that were caught there. I have fished in the Potomac also during this season and have caught some nice ones also.

I have enclosed a pic of one that I caught in the potomac in 06 right in front of Cobb Island using an umbrella rig with Chartreuse bucktail and teasers.

Attachments

#67 ·
Went on a charter boat out of Barnstable yesterday with some of my family. All in all an awesome day. Caught a total of 11 keeper stripers and about 12 blues for the day. We had about 25-30 fish for the day and it was a good time. Tube and worm produced but we had most of our success wirelining with jigs as we trolled through some different areas. Somewhat hard work, we had to keep pumping the rod to get a fish to strike but it was worth the hard work. Here's one picture, I'll load more later once my cousin uploads the pictures from his camera. This picture was taken on my cell phone.

#69 ·
Here is some more photos since you Guys liked the last ones..
The first is me again Capt'n Happy,
Next two is my brother Mike,
Next two is my duck hunting Buddy Allan,
Next one is my Brother In Law ( Got to keep them In Laws Happy!)
Next one is a Buddy Chris his first big Striper!
And Me again with this year Spring Striper.

Attachments

#70 ·
Re: Striped Bass off of cape cod

Give it a kiss on the snout, a pat on the rump, and send it on it's way with a good story to tell it's friends. thumbsup.gif

By the way,,, if you ever find a 37" striper that weighs 28 lbs please take a photo and show me.
I'm a step ahead of you... My girlfriend caught this fish at the end of July. It is indeed 37" and 28 lb.

Actually, she hooked it up and I reeled it in. At the moment, I could've sworn there was some sort of whale on the end of the line.

ETA: By the way, why are those dimensions strange-sounding?

#73 ·
Rocks Video taken by plumisland.com to air in entirety on TV soon.

Heres a preview

Be patient. Once it loads click on the small white arrow on the lower left of the video box.
Give it a little time to load. Quick time format.

Here fishy fish fishy. :sydan:
Joes wearing his stripers247.com tshirt. :notworthy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.