Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2007 - The Year In Review Pictorial - Stripers247

43K views 134 replies 43 participants last post by  GreatSouthBayBucktails 
#1 ·
Merry Christmas icon_santa.gif

This thread will be a year in review thread. I will combine and copy posts from other threads.
Add your highlights too if you like. Ok we'll see how it goes. I cheated a little and added ricks Video and this post predates it to 2006.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!
Lets hope 2008 brings everyone everything the've ever wanted.
50 from the surf,

Attachments

See less See more
#29 ·
Re: July's get together,,,

What can I say that hasnt been said. But I'll try. :wink1:
You dont get this kind of tutorial at a seminar.
Just a great time with outstanding people.
First class operation all the way.
I just wish more of you had the chance to share this with us.
I knew I was heading in the right direction from jamestown when i saw huge florescent 247 signs pointing the way in. An awesome touch from the Gunny. :notworthy:
Highlights for me were many. Finally meeting up with Gunny and his family would have been enough for me but there was Roc and Briggs and Jake and 42-90 and Mikey and Floats and Smulax and the rest of the gang.
(Not to mention the slap yo momma chicken)
Something that stands out for me was visualizing the rips that formed as the tide rolled in in the morning just as Gunny had drawn it on the blackboard the night before. Overlooking from the north face it was easy to see the rips forming. The water entered and pooled as it flowed laterally it accellerated out. Closer to flood stage the eddies converged from both sides with a narrow window between them. The rock formations made it just so.

After the hike in and the repell down the south face :redbiggrin:

#36 ·
Re: Beavertail Point pictorial

And just to show you guy's how much I looked foreward to this gathereing...this is what I left behind(a few of Monday nights/mornings fish).... 10 to 12 of these size fish, plus a ton a little smaller, every night for the last month....So ya see it aint about the fishin....

Attachments

#37 ·
Well not really the ocean but close enough, the Great Bay. If I get anything out of being a member of a hunting or fishing web forum it is the first class guys I have met. Skunk ranks high on that list. We both hunt, fish and trap. We speak each others language.
We met up at 0500 Saturday for a morning on Great Bay. The boat started hard that morning and we had a little trouble with the pot hauler but those were just part of the memories of a great day.
We only ended up with a couple bugs.

Skunk caught the first stripers on my new tube and worm riggin'. It took us a few passes to get the speed and depth right.

We were on after that. Thanks Bruce for making the drive. Good friends = Good fishing.

#38 ·
Taken from my boat....

While I was looking for some material for the Bass destruction thread, I realized I have lots of pictures of guys ( and a few gals) with pictures of fish caught from my boat, these are all fond memories, some were newbies desperate for a "keeper" others were seasond vets that I routinly fish with, some were met on this site, others from are from other sites or were taken fishing as a "favor" for one of my tackle shop owner friends....

So here they are, this post my take awhile because I may have to copy and resize as I go... most of these fish were released.... I'll supply the anglers names, but the weights of some of these fish are lost to me....( I have them in a log book but not here)

The time span is from 2004 until present...

First angler is a former work mate named Emir, also KNown as Bubba, he was an accomplished angler in his native home land of Bosnia... a tall man close to 7'.. one of the funniest guy's on the plannet!

Second set of pics, belong to Fishin fool ( not the one on this site) Chris is a hard fishing partyboat regular, but had tough luck coming up with a keeper striper... one night on the striper sniper solved that problem.

Next is Jon, a hard fishing young guy I met on another sight,he was full of questions... now he's got the tuna bug... only the good lord can save him now...

Next is another John, An ambitious angler sent to me by a friend, John was new to striper fishing and wanted to learn the "ropes".. that fish measured 56" and was the biggest on my boat that season, unfortunatly my scale was on the fritz and we never got her true weight befpore she was released to breed another day.

Next is a co-worker, good friend and sometimes fishing partner Mike Lemay... Mike is a nut, loves fishing more than all else except his wife and twins... you will see more of Mike pictures latter on...

Next is Tony, also known as fishing Boston, tony and a friend of his fished on a night that started out calm and clear and ended in one of the most violent thunder storms I was ever stupid enough to fish in... the fishing was so hot that we only went in when my radio antanae began to hum!
I have some more pics of him somewhere...

Next up is Jess Dostie, not a bass, but but after "meeting " on line her and her husband Bob made the drive down from Vermont to go cod and haddock fishing with me... their dedication makes the picture worthy... bob is the best Northeren pike fisherman I know....

This picture made the cut because it is my all time favorite, it will probaly be my last vision when I depart this earth.. for those of you who dont know, that handsome lad next to me is my son Joe, also known a jbrtoz24..

Below is Joe with a bass from that same night, heavy wind and rain couldnt dampen our spirits, it was our first fishing trips together since he had left home, joined the Navy and started a family of his own.

You all probably recognise that face.... the Infamous Jonny Bolt... one of the funiest dudes on earth... I've got more of him..latter

The next picture is of Rick, he's a friend of Jonny's .. judging by the smile, I guess he had a good time...

Next up two Irish tough guys, they also are my dear friends, Tim and Mike lynch.... even if the fishing is off, we spend the night laughing...

I've got alot more... I need a break from typing and have to do a little work..

More later

Attachments

#39 ·
Re: Bass pictures of fellow anglers....

Round 2..

I'm missing a file of a trip with Bait runner and Jony bolt, I know I have a copy at the house, so I'll down load it to a disc this weekend and post it Monday....

First, we start with family, Nancy and her first "keeper: bass 21 lbs

My good friend Mike with a pair of nice fish, retained to feed a family cookout....

Next are a pair of buds, I met on line, on a different site,they are hunters and salmon fisherman, my camera was on the fritz that night, so they took these photo's of the small( but legal) fish they kept and E mailed them to me... they hail from the Sunapee reigon of NH and made a long trek for a night of bass fishing....

Next is a gent who is a life long friend, a great fisherman and a hunter, an Ex marine (if there is such a thing) vetran of vietnam,Joe is best shot I know... if a critter is in his sights, it is as good as dead....

Next up a fairly new aquaintence, again met on line, Ryan B, who is a member here, is a hard fishing son of a gun.. his forte is the ong wand.. but he's grown fond of eels too!

The next series of pictures is of soon to be Marine, Brian Johansen, we all know Brian for hjis many questions on the sight... I must say, he's one of the most polite,respectfull and nicest people I have ever had trhe pleasure to fish with...Brian good luck in the Core... Be safe

The last set (3) belong together, again two outstanding young men, Jarid (JKfirefighter) and his friend, I'll be damned if I can remeber his name...Tim?

I've got more, but they are on my home computer... I've got some great ones of Baitrunner, and this post wont be complete until they are up...

Attachments

#41 ·

I still need to down load some pics form my home PC ,but here's a few freshies from this week...

Tuesday I dragged the original marsh monkey AKA Jonny Bolt/Merrilizer out of the MAAAAASh for an evening of fishing, blues made the river tough that night early on, but we eventualy got into the "real" fish...

Last night, (7/26) I took long time fishing partner, friend and understudy Mike lemay out, we hit the front beach for a break from the yellow eyed devils and crowded river and Mike did what a good bow man does.... landed this 38lb bass on the third cast....

Mikes the guy with the SEG...laughing4.gif

Jonny is the stoneface with the light on his noodle...cool_blue.gif

Attachments

#43 ·
A friend and I spent the weekend casting and trolling eels on a set of flats i've been hitting lately and it was spectacular!Non-stop action.Here's some pics,the late night facial expressions are pretty funny,It was tough handling these fish out of a 12' boat.All went back to fight another day.

#44 ·

The pictures below are of friends with their first striper, or personal best aboard my boat for 2007 (so far).

As Roccus said at the beginning of this thread "Alot of fond memories!"

Enjoy!

#45 ·
Popham beach Maine Recon

I took a ride up to Pophan Beach for a little recon Saturday. It's nice place and the area is beautiful. Some notes and then some pictures....
Entrance fee to Popham State Park is $4.00 per person during the day. Night fishing is allowed for pass holders. The fee is $10.00 and the pass is honored from 7:00 PM to 8:00 AM. Pass holders must give prior notification for each night they intend to fish by informing the welcome station prior to 6:00 PM on that day. Upon contact with the park staff, pass holders will be informed of the current gate padlock combination. Night fishing passes must be displayed through vehicle windshields. No fires or camping allowed on the beach, including sleeping in vehicles....(I asked about the sleeping in vehicles part and it doesn't appear that they enforce it). All vehicles must be out of the park by 8:00 AM. The beach is long, and one of the rangers said the West beach had good fly fishing. He also said they were pulling in some good fish at night.

The park has a number of picnic areas with grills. There are pit toilets, changing areas, and outdoor shower stations that can be used without any soaps. They are for rinsing off sand. No alcohol is allowed.

I was at the park at about noon, and picked a day when it was fogged in.
View attachment 3021

Parking was tight, and I was told by Park personell that the parking lot fills up by about 10:30 on nice weekends.
View attachment 3022

There were several picnic areas

View attachment 3023

I found a real nice boat ramp close by on Rt 209 on Fiddlers Reach Road. Lauching and parking was free.
View attachment 3029
The Ride was nice

View attachment 3024

A couple of the locals recommended fishing at Pophan Fort. It was about 3/4 to a mile past the state park. Daytime parking was free is you could find it on the road in, or $7.00 per car to park in the lot. I talked to a couple guys fishing , and they liked it. Looked to be some nice rip not to far from shore.
View attachment 3025
View attachment 3026
View attachment 3027

And my favorite picture is this one since fishing memories are starting for this kid
View attachment 3028

I also visited Meadowbrook Campground. Seemed like a decent campground with swiming pool, fresh lobster, wireless internet, full hook ups, pet freindly, arcade, mini golf, etc, etc. They allow one tent per site with up to 2 adults and 3 children or 4 adults per site. Sites are filing up, so if you want to reserve one, call 207-443-4967. Their web site is www.meadowbrookme.com.

#47 ·
Mike Smulax drove up from Rhody for an evening of bass fishing, unfortunatly, it was not what it's been, A strong N/W wind that tried to repeatedly push me into the mud and the clown and googan show put a dampener on the night...

Fishing the top of the incoming tide, we first got butchered by blues, but then the bass moved in, lending promise to a good outgoing,it took the resident googans 4 nights, but they finaly figured out that the boat making the same run over and over must be doing or seeing something, so they trolled around with their gas motors, their paddles and even dropped anchor right in our path, through it all we still caught a few fish, no real monsters last night, the average fish as about 15 lbs, about 1/2 of what it's been, at one point as Mike struggled to get a fish under control we were circled by a kayak and a 20' center console ( of coarse trolling with the big motor) how he got the fish away from those two clowns is still a mystery... Shortly after that incedent the wind began to howel in ernest, I was no longer able to control the boat under electric power and the water was getting skinny, the risk of becoming grounded became real so I terminated the trip, thanks for coming down Mike, I owe ya a better trip.... here's a few pics of mikes fish...

Attachments

#49 ·
50.... I wasnt going to go down, the ocean still had a S/E swell from the days "sea breeze" but with a land breeze and rising water I carfully picked my way down the beach...

The trip was worth it...

The biggest fish was 51", my normark scale is only capable of 50 lbs and it bottomed it out to a flashing 50...she wasnt alone, she had company in the high thirties and low 40's

#51 ·
Another great Striper 24/7 outing at Popham Beach Phippsburg, ME. Please post your pictures and notes here.
Next stop Boston, MA.

Social Time

Uninvited guests

Weapons of bass destruction.

Popham Beach before

Popham Beach after Striper 24/7

Good friends-Good fishing

Striper Jim

Baitrunner and Gunny

Relocating for the evening tide at the Fort.

A true "all nighta"

Tide change stratergy

Zemma's blend

Daybreak plugging

Catch of the day

Released to fly into fishing line again.

Met some new friends and saw some new country. Thanks guys.
Coalman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.