Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

My Friend is buying a boat & driving me crazy

11K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
O.K. guys, I need some suggestions........

I have a dear lifelong friend who is considering buying his first boat. To give you some background. I have been in boating for about 15 years. During that period of time I have had numerous boats starting with a Bayliner, Imperial, Grady White to now a SaltShaker BlackFin.

This friend (who shall remain nameless for now) has NO knowledge of boats, but is determined to buy one. That part is o.k. we all have to start somewhere. The problem is he can't make up his mind on what he wants and is driving me crazy! The other day he calls me and says"you have to go to wildwood to see a boat". I point out to him i live in staten island and that will be a 8 hour day, not to mention I have to work. I decide to look at the boat and inform him he is paying around $8,000 too much!. So I call the dealer and offer $8,000 less. They say they will get back to me. Of course they call him and tell him someone else is intrested in the boat. What does he do (he was there when I made the phone call) HE SAYS WAIT! I MIGHT STILL BE INTRESTED! He bid against himself! O.K. here is where I need your opinion. Should I ........
a/ tell him to go f*%k himself
b/ talk him into buying a boat too expensive so he will go broke and leave me alone
c/ pick out a boat that will sink thus make the world a better place

please pick a letter.....thanks jerk.gif

See less See more
#27 ·
Boat update

Update.

Drove to wildwood NJ about 3 1/2 hour drive to meet the surveyor. 28 bucks a foot. Worth every dime. Also paid for a sea trial. (Owner wouldnt pay customary half) Engine remarkably quiet and solid Yamaha 200 4 stroke. 6000 RPMs and 39 MPH cruising in the bay.

Boat had issues. Loose wires No horn. Cabin throttle not connected to engine nor compatable. Trailer rollers off line. Most fixable cept 1. Transom had small cracks and was hollow in areas. Obviously had been worked on. Parts of it sound traveled right through it. a 600 pound engine bouncing on the trailer and bam. I visualized it at the bottom of the drink, an $11000 motor. Needs a whole new rebuilt transom. Deal killer. walked away with my $5000 deposit and several hundred poorer but happy to know I didnt purchase a piece of chit. dissappointed but I want to turn the key and fish not wait till the dam things worked on. Ok plan B. runabout fot this season Next year or following year I get a better boat. :roll:

Thanks to T- bone Alvarez for the advice and happy birhday. Just have to book a trip aboard his "platinos" :p saltshaker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.