Poppers? Bombers? Baits? What works for you? Show and tell - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 11-18-2004, 10:42 PM

Default Poppers? Bombers? Baits? What works for you? Show and tell

Give us your input on what you use to catch stripers and how effective is it. From poppers to baits, what is the best? Tell us the brand you use or if you make your own lures. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2004, 11:23 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

For Bass, Suurfiss Pawpizz are my fave. Rapala Skitter Pop in mullet pattern is one of my faves. Storm Chug Bugs as well. And the best overall topwater for Blues is hands down the Gags Bluefish Bomb. I use the white with blue band mostly, but the chrome one is great under the high sun, and used to have one I painted flouro (hunter) orange that Blues just annihilated. The Bluefish Bomb rules, and they FLY about a mile. Nothing will cast better short of big metal like a Kastmaster lol. Jigman can vouche me on this one. He's seen me let Tha Bomb fly :)

I use rubbah too....Wildeyes, Calcutta's, Fin's, Slug-Gos', Bass Assassin's, Rip Tides, etc.. I like to bounce bucktails with pork trailers too.

Started fishing the surf with wood alot, so I like Danny's and Pencil Poppers. Also have quite a bit of needle's, including several different Choopy needles, but I've never taken the time to master their action.

I also have all the Bombers, Mambo's, and Husky Jerks etc., but I rarely threw any Bomber type lures this year. In the Spring a bit, but thats it really. 4" rattle trap baits like the Gag's Mr. Bunker are one of top 3 go to's I'd have to say. Spring and Fall they produce well, especially smothered in herring Smelly Jelly. Pretty versatile too......I jig and bounce it through the rocks at the dam and run it in the marsh in the Spring, and throw it off the rocks on the shore in the Fall. Cant beat a Mr. Bunker when the Peanut Bunker are around :) Too bad they didnt show up this Fall lol.

If I forgot anything, I'll add it lol

Old 11-18-2004, 11:35 PM

My # 1 lures....

Plastic: 4" Saltwater Assassin in Opening Night Color
Fly: 2/0 "opening night" fly i modeled after the assassin or an olive over white pattern
Crankbait: 1 oz pink over chrome saltwater rattle trap
Topwater: atom's 1 1/2 oz non floating striper swiper in bone color
Jig: "Deceiver Jig" White or chartreuse saddle hackle/bucktail jig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2004, 02:50 AM

Philly P

My limited experience with plugs. A must for your box is a topwater a swim bait and a jig.

An atom Striper swiper 1/1/2 or 2 oz blue and white.
Storm wildeye shad assorted sizes. Pearl belly
Yellow bucktail. (youll need more than 1 they get hung up on the bottom)
Total cost... 12 to 15 bucks.
Everything else is gravy. Match the hatch :P

This of course is the beginners set up. The above replies are experts.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:05 AM

I borrowed these pics of poppers from another post. Hey I just found the search feature on the site yesterday. Thanks to DR.
You'ld a thunk I knew that its between the FAQ and the memberlist on top of the board. Thats how I found these popper pics.

Atom Striper swiper

The Atomizer

Rge Atom Junior

Popper

Striper
Old 11-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Jigologist

head-hooked rubbah unweighted
or rubbah on a jighead

favorite popper is the big chugbug, change out the belly hook for a bigger stouter one and run just a white bucktail on the tail.. most of them I repaint sky blue top, white belly, floresent orange throat.. cloudy days the chrome belly works well..

aint nothin' like a jig though :twisted:
Old 11-20-2004, 01:24 PM

For bait, I like Clams and Eels. I hook a whole clam (not the shell, just the meat), or hook a live eel. I don't chunk bunker much anymore, but that could be one of the easiest ways to catch one.

For plug, dittios to all of the above. Best for me this year: Storm 4" Wild Eye Shad in Pearl, followed by any other color. FinS 5" Pink rigged with a jighead - size depends on how deep or how far I want to cast. Atom 2oz Striper Swiper Popper in blue/white. Charlie Graves Tin's (hopkins work fine too, I just like Charlie's better).

Fact is, tho, I have the whole shabang in my bag. 4-5-6-7-9" Storm/style shads; 6-9" Sluggos and hooks; 5-9" FinS with hooks and jigs in assorted colors; Poppers (Atom and home made); Danny's (Atom and home made), Pencil Poppers (Yankee, Gibbs); Needlefish (home made); etc, etc.

What I like to do when I fish is try what I think will work first. If no action (and I'm fairly certain there are fish there) I rotate thru my bag until I find what works. There are times when I'd throw a 6" dark Sluggo, get one hit then zip. Switch to Pink FinS, get a few - go back to Sluggo, get a few, go back, etc.

When all else fails, and you see someone catching and you are not, ask them what they are using! That's how I started with the Pink FinS, and that caught me a coolerful this year.