Cod off Plum Island - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 03-28-2007, 07:40 PM
First Mate

Default Cod off Plum Island

When I was a kid, I remember my brother taking me Cod fishing off the Plum Island beaches. I think it was Winter fishing. This is going back 40 years ago. Are Cod and Haddock found relatively close to shore when the water temperatures is cold. What's out there to be caught in April and May. The Stripers are still a couple months off and I need to get into the boat and go fishing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2007, 09:24 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Cod off Plum Island

Welcome to the sight Zeema.

Yup in bye gone days we caught lots of cod off the surf of Plum Island, October- May.... It was no big deal to jig up 2-300 lbs in the mouth of the river from a 16' boat most of the winter...big money back then @ .60 a lb!

Now adays, cod off the beach are rare... but I did get a few two years ago in mid April, to the right of the small jetty in front of the Chineese house....(no keepers)

Cod are off limits until April 1, but by now both Cod and haddock are making their way inshore, all the inside humps and bumps hold cod from late april until june, haddock can be had as well within 5 miles of the beach in late April through June, look for them over gravel bottom, both species folow the bait (herring and sand eels) and may be in one spot one day, and 6 miles away on a different piece of ground the next.... get out your chart, find 4-5 places and give each a try.... good luck.

Roc
Old 03-30-2007, 01:34 PM
swabbie

On The Water has a report about catching them from the Hull Gut via surf casting. I plan to check it out with my boat on Sunday and will post the results. My understanding was prior to 4/1 you could only keep 2. Is that not the case?

Anyone get any flounder in the Boston/Quincy area yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2007, 02:06 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

North of the cape, is under a two fish, 75 lb limit... hardly worth a boat ride unless there are haddock or pollock near bye.... april is soon enough, the steakers will be inshore soon and I'll fill the freezer for another season.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:30 PM
First Mate

Talked to my brother, and sure enough, the cod we used to catch were off the Plum Island rocks. He also mentioned he would go off the Isle of Shoals for Cod. I usually put in at Cashman, but since I trailer, I guess I could go anywhere, within about 5 miles off shore. I usually don't venture out much beyond that in my boat. Send some reports this way, with location/GPS #'s and it's going to be great to wet the line. ..Thanks
Old 03-30-2007, 05:33 PM

Zeem.

GPS #'s are guarded by watch dogs from hell.
Thats a forum no no. Im sure you can understand why.

Welcome to the board btw.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:00 PM
First Mate

striperjim,

Understood completely why the #'s are guarded. I will learn the rules ASAP