Some surf setup questions from a newbie - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 04-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Official Member

Default Some surf setup questions from a newbie

Hey guys, brand new to the site and I hope that you can answer a few questions of mine. You guys are like encyclopedias when it comes to this stuff, and this newbie could use some help.

I recently acquired a Lamiglas Graphite Surf and Jetty 10ft Medium Heavy Spinning rod (model no. XS 101MHS). It is rated 3-6 oz. and 17-40 pound test. I am pairing it with a Shimano Thunnus CI4 6000. I am in the Long Island, NY area, and I plan on doing some surfcasting from the beach and jetties with it, both chunking and with plugs/spoons.

1: What is the optimal lure weight? Iím assuming around 4-5 oz. Do you think Iíll have difficulty tossing lures in the 2-3. Oz range?

2: What recommendations do you make in terms of line? I was thinking somewhere along the lines of 20# or 30# powerpro as a main line, with a 40# mono or fluoro shock leader (leaning more towards mono). What are your thoughts on this? Is a shock leader necessary for both lures and chunking?

3. What do you make of this?: Shimano says the line capacity for the Thunnus 6000 is 300 yds of 10# mono. Oddly enough, the capacity for 30# powerpro (which has a diameter of 8lb mono) on the very same reel is only 245 yds. Iím completely lost on this oneÖ

4. Do you think a 40# mono or fluoro leader will have trouble when it comes to bluefish? Is a wire leader necessary? If so, what pound test do you recommend?

I know I asked a mouthful, but please feel free to just answer whichever questions you like. Thanks for the time guys! Here are the relevant links:

Rod: http://www.lamiglas.com/prod_indiv.php?groupid=25

Reel Specs: http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont...unnus_CI4.html

Powerpro ratings: http://www.powerpro.com/publish/cont...pro/specs.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Some surf setup questions from a newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Softee View Post
1: What is the optimal lure weight? Iím assuming around 4-5 oz. Do you think Iíll have difficulty tossing lures in the 2-3. Oz range?

2: What recommendations do you make in terms of line? I was thinking somewhere along the lines of 20# or 30# powerpro as a main line, with a 40# mono or fluoro shock leader (leaning more towards mono). What are your thoughts on this? Is a shock leader necessary for both lures and chunking?

3. What do you make of this?: Shimano says the line capacity for the Thunnus 6000 is 300 yds of 10# mono. Oddly enough, the capacity for 30# powerpro (which has a diameter of 8lb mono) on the very same reel is only 245 yds. Iím completely lost on this oneÖ

4. Do you think a 40# mono or fluoro leader will have trouble when it comes to bluefish? Is a wire leader necessary? If so, what pound test do you recommend?
Welcome to the forum .

I'll try to answer some of these.
1. I've never used that rod, though it is highly recommended by some, so can't really help you with this one.

2. While some folks really like PowerPro, I've had way too many problems with it especially in the lower lb test versions. I much prefer original Fireline, but that's just my personal preference.

3. I can't say for sure, but it could be that they're factoring in the fact that one must use some mono backing under the braid to keep it from slipping, and that you can't fill the spool as full with braid as you do with mono or you'll be throwing large knots on the cast.

4. You'll usually be fine with a 40lb test flouro leader for blues when plugging, as generally their teeth are on the plug itself, not the leader. For bait fishing, where their teeth are often directly on the leader, expect to be cut off.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Some surf setup questions from a newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
Welcome to the forum .

I'll try to answer some of these.
1. I've never used that rod, though it is highly recommended by some, so can't really help you with this one.

2. While some folks really like PowerPro, I've had way too many problems with it especially in the lower lb test versions. I much prefer original Fireline, but that's just my personal preference.

3. I can't say for sure, but it could be that they're factoring in the fact that one must use some mono backing under the braid to keep it from slipping, and that you can't fill the spool as full with braid as you do with mono or you'll be throwing large knots on the cast.

4. You'll usually be fine with a 40lb test flouro leader for blues when plugging, as generally their teeth are on the plug itself, not the leader. For bait fishing, where their teeth are often directly on the leader, expect to be cut off.
Now that's how you answer a question! Thanks for the help!