Rod input - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 05-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Official Member

Default Rod input

I just purchased this rod and reel combo before finding this forum. I noticed that the lure weight is 3-8oz. Is this rod too heavy for plugs/lures?

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...414792.4414799
  • 10' 2-piece rod
  • Graphite blanks
  • Cork tape wrap
  • 6 bearings (5 ball bearings/1 stainless roller bearing)
  • Quick-set anti-reverse design
  • Machined aluminum handle with oversizes handle knob
  • Ported aluminum spool
  • Design based on Okumaź longitude rods
  • Line weight: 20 - 40 lb.
  • Line capacity: 360 yds. / 12 lb.; 280 yds. / 15 lb.; 210 yds. / 20 lb.
  • Lure weight: 3 - 8 oz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Rod input

Yes it is too heavy for most plugs. Most rods for plugging will be in the 1-4 or 2-6 range. At 3-8 the sweet spot will be in the 5-6 range which is too much. So you''ll have a hard time getting the rod loaded properly which means not much distance on the casts
Old 05-28-2011, 05:52 PM
My Fishing Cape Cod

I bought a 2 piece 10 ft rod from Dick's last spring after I snapped my 4th Lamiglas. All the Lamiglas rods snapped a foot and a half above the reel seat.

So far I haven't snapped the Dick's sporting goods $100 meat stick.

Definitely does not cast as well as the Lamiglas, however it's better for jigging and still fires a 4oz pencil popper just shy of the middle of the ditch.

I didn't even check what ounce range its rated for, but so far so good.

Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Striper Hunter

Yes a spinning rod for plugging is much different than a telephone pole meat stick. And jigging is a whole different way of fishing and if you're jigging the canal you need a telephone pole to handle that current as well. But don't try plugging with it
Old 05-29-2011, 02:54 AM
Official Member

Thanks for the reply everyone. I wished they had the 9ft one in stock. I guess I'm stuck with this one now. Hopefully I'll catch my first striper. lol
Old 05-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Lunker

Miss Lorreta, what the hell were you doing to those poor rods? I Havent ever broken a Lami. You must be over loading them and trying to launch them or high sticking trying to lift fish up the rocks with the rod. High performance rods aren't built to withstand that kind of stuff.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:35 PM
My Fishing Cape Cod

WoodPro,

I wish I knew...

I've asked quite a few "experts" and they've all been unable to come up with a reason why it's occurring.

I take extremely good care of the blanks. Transport them very carefully to avoid any stress fracturing, chips, or cracks.

I don't recall the model number for the blanks, but they've all been the beefiest 11foot blanks available for spin fishing.

I only toss 3-5 ounce jigs and plugs.

I wouldn't say I'm an expert caster but I have no problem reaching the middle of the Canal when the tide's low. I'd like to say I have a pretty smooth cast. Maybe someone here can see if I have a funny quirk or something.

Here's a quick video of me casting...I'm the guy to the right, in the white tee.

http://barnstable-hyannis.patch.com/...#video-6037585

Every rod I've snapped has broken during the cast. Never high strung it on a fish, or anything like that. Just a completely normal cast, and the blank just crumbles in my arms-awful feeling!

I snapped Lamiglas blanks 4 years in a row, and now after switching to a Dick's sporting goods special have had no problems.

Go figure and thanks for any insight,

Ryan