first day - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 03-11-2009, 10:21 AM

Default first day

so i was wondering when do all you guys start fishing??
i went yesterday to throw the lure a few times but everyone was looking at me like i was dumb lol??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Official Member

Default Re: first day

Where are you fishing? The fish follow certain patterns of movement from their home waters up the coast. Damned if I can figure out what that patern IS, but it's there. From what I understand it has to do with chnages in water temperature, spawning and chasing the migrating schools of baitfish. If you live on the Chesapeek Bay, you are not crazy. If you live in Newfoundland you won't see a striper for months.

Now, let me tell you about something that I just heard about. "Holdovers"! If you live near a river there is likely to be a population of Stripers that never swam south for the winter but instead, swam upstream. I have been led to believe that they are capable of some amazing feats to get quite far upstream, including scaling a tall dam. These are likely to be small fish, called Schoolies, but they ARE Striped Bass and trying out things on these guys now will give you an idea about what will work on the Big Ones in the early sumer. I have no proof of this yet, but I DID get the look you described a bunch of times in the last couple of weeks!

I am, by far, the second least knowledgable or proficient fisherman on this board. I was first but then you turned up. There is a LOT of good information here. I had a lot of "silly" questions last year and got a lot of ribbing and teasing but I also got a LOT of good advice. My skills still aren't up to the level of the words that I was told. Search first, then ask. You will get better results when you DO ask a question.

The NUMBER ONE thing I got told last season was to "put in my time". This means not only fishing but scouting spots looking for structure at low tide that will hold fish when submerged and seeing what the water does as the tides go in and out. You can do that stuff RIGHT NOW. Take the dog and G/F and call it "hiking". Neither of them will know the difrence (trust me). If you are already a fisherman apply what you know about fresh water bass.

Well, that's about it. I can't tell you how to actually catch any fish but I can let you know what I learned last year. Most of these guys are HARD CORE about catchig Big Fish and I couldn't quite get them to understand that all I wanted to do was catch ANY fish to "get the hang of it". If all else fails, sandwoms and clams and the local shoulder-to-shoulder spot will get you something on the hook. That's not the BEST way and it's not what these guys are into, but it's a start.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

does anybody have a white flag?????
or perhaps a bullet????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Look for water temps at or near 50F. That is probably the 'Start of season' temp. It has to be consistent though.

This is how I do it.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44013

Then, I get a surf report.

http://noreastersurfshop.com/

If the surf has been kicking up, then it's usually good. If it's victory at sea, you can try, but it's tough going.

Any beach with rocks that get covered with the tide is a good start. Look for rocks. Striped bass are nicknamed "rockfish".

There's an old saying "a fish of a thousand casts." Northern pike are such a fish. Large mouth bass are not. Brook trout are, pickerel are not. Striped bass are, skates and eels are not. It's part of the allure, part of the craft.

Never illuminate the water. constant lights are OK like streetlights, but avoid using a flashlight on the water. I use a red lens sparingly when necessary, and I try to be discrete.

Use two rods, one for bait, one with plugs/lures. Buy a bag of pearl colored storm shads 6". Use that around rocks, and remember: the retrieve should make the rubber fish "look delicious" whatever that means to you. Sometimes a quick dart, sometimes just swimmin, sometimes doing something weird, whatever. don't forget your bait rod! And if you do, don't be surprised to find it missing!

Baits you can use: Clams, sea worms (good choice), frozen mackerel, live eels. Most fisherman will say 'live' bait is best. It is. In the above that means eels and worms. Use eels like a lure, cast retrieve, cast retrieve. Drift everything else with a fish finder rig.

When you do land a keeper you're eat, look inside it's stomach to see what it's been eating. You'll see at least a few crustacean parts and an eyeball or two. If that it what fish from that spot are eating, then that's the way to target them.

If that seems like a bit much, just remember: some guys spend days straight, on the hunt. I've never been known to go more than 15 hours of fishing . . . with nothing to show for it. If you do give up, I'll gladly take your gear off your hands. Cheers.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

more please!!!!!
i am on deadmans curve and have (for some reason) not been hit! wtf>>>>
cyanide anyone????

Old 03-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Try fishing during the darkness. Stiper are a predatory fish, and don't like being taken as prey themselves. If all you ever do if fish a couple of hours BEFORE sunrise, and you do it at least three times a week, and you fish near rocks, you will catch a bass using 6" storm shad. Just a matter of time.

OR, you can go fishing after diner until maybe an hour or two after sunset.

Before sunrise = Best time

after sunset = Also good.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
does anybody have a white flag?????
or perhaps a bullet????
I can accommodate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimno1
cyanide anyone????
Ill take a quarter ounce. How much?
I shouldnt be posting after having so much fun. lol
I'll have a dinkle acker and a yeager bomb please.