I'm Spooling A Calcutta 700 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Veteran Elite

Default I'm Spooling A Calcutta 700

I read the line thread but would like some more specific ideas. I have a 10ft custom with a calcutta 700. I will be casting plugs and jigs 2-3 oz's. I will be fishing the beach and also along the Cape Cod Canal. What size and type line and backing should I use? And also how much of each? I have experience with the reel but want to get the most out of it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Re: I'm Spooling A Calcutta 700

Although I don't fish the canal, my casting reels all have braid on them. My choice is power-pro. Friends of mine who do fish there use 50 - 65 lb. braid with mono leaders to match the lures their throwing. Hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Striper Hunter

BBJ,
How'd you make out,did you get it spooled or did it fall on the winter back burner?

I use 30# Triline big game mono as backing and Power pro for braid,I mostly fish the canal it work's for me.When you change over to braid there's no going back your you are in tune with whats @ the end of your line you can feel everthing,I think your gonna love it

5/0
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 02:35 AM

I'm not a big fan of PowerPro especially on conventional plugging gear. You are going to get backlashes and a nest with PP is a mess to try and untangle.

IMHO the best braid by far for conventional, especially conventional plugging where you're casting over and over, is Berkley Stealth. Due the fact that the Teflon is not just a surface coating but rather impregnated throughout the line it's almost as easy as mono to untangle when you blow your reel up.
I've tried almost all of em and I'll never spool a conventional with anything but Stealth. (with the exception of my bridge rig which is spooled with 100# PP - Stealth only goes up to 80#)

FWIW, I hate the stuff on spinning gear.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:41 PM
First Mate

300 yds 30# Fireline or 50# braid like performance suffix is good with backing.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
IMHO the best braid by far for conventional, especially conventional plugging where you're casting over and over, is Berkley Stealth. I've tried almost all of em and I'll never spool a conventional with anything but Stealth. FWIW, I hate the stuff on spinning gear.
Gonna give it a shot Sudsy... time to respool anyway.....
Old 05-11-2008, 02:32 AM
Official Member

I have been fishin the ditch for 25yrs. and tried almost everything but have found my choice is 50# trilene big game on my calcutta 700 takes a beating and stands up to anything I put it through.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post
I have been fishin the ditch for 25yrs. and tried almost everything but have found my choice is 50# trilene big game on my calcutta 700 takes a beating and stands up to anything I put it through.
I used 30# Triline Big game for 7yrs. @ the ditch for eeling,pluging & jigging.
I got very good at long cast's with out blowing up my reel,but most of all I trusted that product it is dependable & it was only $7.50 for a 330yrd. spool,but I found myself changing my line 3-4 time a season because of unwanted cut off's from blues,ware & tare but most of all random abraision marks down the line.

I switched over to braid three years ago(conventional,spinning for 14yrs) & I'll never go back!One of the pros of it is,it'll last for several seasons,you can cast further than before,and the one thing that I like the most is you can feel whats going on @ the other end of your line,weather it be a stick bait going againts the rolling waves and as you reel it in & you feel it rattling side to side or might you be drifting eels and sudenly feel the eel shake violently to escape but there's that dead calm.....Then BOOM!The cow that just ate your eel is screwin!
You feel everything with braid

JMHO

5/0