Mono line??? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 03-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Official Member

Default Mono line???

OK! I would like to know if mono line is the taboo, caveman way of fishing that everyone is making it out to be! I love braid, but I also love mono! I know each has it's merits and it's flaws! Personally I like using mono! But from 99% of the fishermen out there, I'm stupid if I don't go to braid exclusively! I've been fishing for forty years, I started with mono way back then, I've went to braid and tried it for a few seasons, but I see myself going back to mono! Is it wrong? Or is it what a person is comfortable with! I see all the advantages of braid, it's not like I can't tell the differences! I gave it a good try, but I still love mono line! Am I wrong? I've read threads with people saying, It's people set in there ways, and don't have an open mind about new stuff and so on! I've made all the right adjustments with my tackle so I could use braid, from the reel, to the rods, to backing off on the drag etc..! So! Is using mono such a bad thing?

Thank you for your time
Be safe, and tight lines!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 09:55 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Mono line???

Feel free to use whatever line you wish. IMO, braid is superior in every aspect (with the possible exception of price). I can't think of a single reason to use mono. Don't worry, I'm sure someone will come along and agree with you...
Old 03-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Striper Hunter

Thumbs up Re: Mono line???

I like mono. Iv'e tried braid, did not like it for casting from spinning or conventional reels. Jigging it was great. I'm 64 yrs old, started with mono for surf fishing, Dacron for boat fishing, We cought a lot of fish then, and still catch a lot of fish now. I don't mind the stretch in mono,cast good, no problems with it on any reel or rod i use. Braid has great merit's with it. You are not wrong with using what you think is beast, or gives you confidance while fishing. My 2 cent's.
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 05:42 PM
Have you tried tripping tourists with your mono?

There are also many times when there is no real reason to use braid. Ask any pier "fishermen" if they use braid and almost every one will say no. For their reasons, ie casting just off a pier and pulling up heavy fish, ere is no need to pay 20+ dollars for braid.

Mono also is needed for leader purposes and freshwater fishing. It is also cheaper for people who fish in snaggy areas here they have to cut off a lot of line.

There are also compromises, 50pd test gorilla braid fishing line is tough as nails, has no stretch, will cut off anyone's line who is fishing next to you , and casts fairly ok but not well. Plus for 20 bucks you get 300 yards of it.

But sometimes a quality mono line cannot be beat
Old 04-16-2014, 12:16 AM
Striper Hunter

I love braid. I've stuck on power pro. I will use braid for 98% of my fishing. The only time I won't use braid is if I'm shark fishing, or fishing anywhere near jetties. I just love the sensitivity of braid.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:41 PM
Veteran Striper Chaser

Well I guess I'm silly, although I now have two rods with braid.
But I have enough mono for the next forty years.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:48 PM
Striper Hunter

Braid does have an advantage but I prefer Ande mono for surf casting using a conventional reel. But I do have braid on a spinning reel and level bait casting reel that has a level wind feature. I will list what I don't like about braid.

1. too thin, difficult to level wind on reel with your finger during retrieve
2. is prone to wind knots.
3. hard on guide tips will cut a grove eventually
4. will bury itself into spool line.
5. impossible to untangle birds nest
8. expensive