Suggestions needed - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 06-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Conowingo Striper

Default Suggestions needed

I have 300 yards of 20 lb test, 6 dia eq of Power Pro braided line for my Penn Battle 500. The Battle spool capacity is 405 yards with a 20 lb test. What test mono should I use as backing and to fill the approx 100 yard gap. Other backing suggestion?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 11:20 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Suggestions needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conowingo Striper View Post
I have 300 yards of 20 lb test, 6 dia eq of Power Pro braided line for my Penn Battle 500. The Battle spool capacity is 405 yards with a 20 lb test. What test mono should I use as backing and to fill the approx 100 yard gap. Other backing suggestion?

Thanks
the battle doesn't need backing as it comes with a slip proof rubber gasket.. however to fill the spool properly with right amount.... without specs in front of me on any of the models....
how's this, spool holds 405 yds 20# mono... at 6# dia... the braid is roughly 3 times the amount of line dia.. which would be 915 yds give or take,, minus 405 would be 515... divided by 3 is like 175 or so of 20# mono... a little less like 165,,,,as you want at least an eighth of an inch of spool lip...i'm sure there's a better way to calculate it out.... now i'm no brain surgeon or mathematician but this may be a close calculation but may have to cut some braid at the end. 'or not' your connection to the mono should be a modified Albright. me thinks you may never get spooled to 300 yds but with the drag set at five lbs ehhhh... if you put too much mono on you won't have 300 yds but even if it's 275 or so it'd be sufficient. I eyeball the spool and do it by eye as I can just do it on my reels by memory already. you will intuitively know how much backing to use by eye when you've done it a few times.

if holds 405 yds of braid? then 300 yds braid plus 35-40 yds of 20# mono. i'd say 35 would be on point. that calculates to be 105 yds of braid but because I calculated at three times the dia.. that is actually 18# so the difference I calculated would leave at least an eighth of an inch of spool with line out to the business end... hope I didn't confuse you...

Old 06-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Conowingo Striper

Thanks for all this info and research you did, but I might try this: I have a extra spool for the battle so I could first load all the braided line then add the 20 lb mono til its about 1/8 from the end of spool. After that i would load the mono to the other battle spool, then wrap a piece of electrical tape on the mono, from there add the braid.

Once this is accomplished I would try to set the drag tying a 5 pound weight to the braid. The braid would be line and the rod in fighting position.

Any thoughts.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Conowingo Striper

I did just add the 35 yards of 20 lb mono instead of using the extra spool and guess what? You were on the money. Thanks for your expertise!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i'm surprised you took the easy way out and trusted me.... hope you get a monster now...