What size reel for my Tsunami 8' Surf Rod? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 03-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Official Member

Default What size reel for my Tsunami 8' Surf Rod?

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Tsunami Airwave Surf Rod, 8'0" MH (12-20lb, 3/4-3oz), and ordered a Penn Sargus SG5000 to pair it with. The reel is REALLY nice, solid, and seems very smooth (but, I haven't taken it out yet). However, I'm not too happy with the weight of it. It feels like it would be better suited on a longer rod. I'm hoping to get some feedback on a good match for the rod and my uses for it.

Uses/Fish: I'm looking to throw poppers, jigs, and lures only with this setup because I already have a few live bait and chunk setups. Being in southern Connecticut, there isn't any surf here but, I will be hitting my usual beach spots, jeti's, and piers. I fish for stripers and blues and typically they fall in the range of 10 - 30lb.

My questions: If I'm going to be throwing poppers etc for hours on end, what size range should I be searching for? Should I keep the Sargus SG5000 (20.4oz) and learn to live with the weight and get a workout? Or, should I look into something like a Penn Spinfisher V SSV4500 (14.0oz)? I will be using anywhere from 10-20lb mono/braid with this setup. As a sidenote, I would like to keep the reel under $150.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 06:59 PM
First Mate

Default Re: What size reel for my Tsunami 8' Surf Rod?

Welcome to the forum, fly. I always believe that lighter is better...especially if youíre going to be tossing plugs for any length of time...and provided you arenít sacrificing strength and/or quality in the process. The specs on that Spinfisher seem almost too good to be true. I know youíre planning on using it for artificials only, but you might just want to consider the new LL model...just in case a school of bunker swims by thatís getting whacked by big bass. The LL only adds a couple of ounces to the reel, and itís still considerable lighter than the Sargus. That would give you the snag and run option.

I just picked up a new Okuma Trio Baitfeeder 55, to use on my boat. I havenít found a rod I really like yet to put it on, though. Itís a replacement for a Salina BF that got trashed by Superstorm Sandy...I really loved that reel, but Okuma discontinued the model.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Official Member

Hey Card - thanks very much and thanks for the reply. I think I have to agree with you on going lighter without sacrificing and, you definitely bring up a nice point that I wasn't thinking about at all. That's something to think about.

Those Trio 55's are pretty sweet. I actually run a couple Okuma Avenger ABF 50's for chunking. Two seasons and still running strong.

Alright, back for a little more research but, I'm narrowing it down now which is good. Thanks again for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i seldom push any product. i just had to respond as your using an 8' rod and some reels are over 14oz and cumbersome. a good drag system would be high on my list so i will go out on a limb and suggest the quantum cabo pts 40. i'ts less than 14oz and with a sealed drag now and like 30#max drag/ it's really hard to beat a reel that sturdy for less than 200 bucks. it's like 170 or 180.. just for what it's worth.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:03 AM
Official Member

Hey Zimno. Thanks for the reply, it's much appreciated. I took a look into the Cabo PTS40 and it looks like a great reel. Great specs and reviews. Unfortunately, it's out of my price range...for now. Maybe I will see where they are at on EBay.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:44 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

fin norr IFS5000.. hundred thirty bucks... 300+yds of 20 or 30# braid.. that reel you don't need to put a mono backing on the spool. sealed drag. not a bad reel but what can i say? if you don't wanna pay and extra thirty for the cabo...