FRom Minnesota to Maryland - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 02-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Official Member

Default FRom Minnesota to Maryland

I've been in Elkton ,Md for 2 yrs now Bought a boat last year .I'm not have any luck fishing Rockfish. Can anyone one give me a nudge in the right direction. I have good skills from fishing Walleye my whole life.I can catch Little3 to 6 in Rockfish no bigger. I have fished with red worms,nightcrawlers squid no luck. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: FRom Minnesota to Maryland

lots of guys in boats not getting into fish down there....
what time of year are you fishing? big fish come and go and it's not my neck of the woods but you'd be better served using live bait and or chunking pogie (bunker/menhadden) spot is another idea. big bait-big fish.. buy a net and learn how to throw it. if you've got a boat you can get live bait. fluorocarbon a must. a trolling motor is another great investment. lots more info in the delaware forum. click the SEARCH button above and key in whatever it is you want to ask. lots of info at the tip of your fingers. i don't live down there but i will help any way i can..

Old 02-28-2011, 05:34 PM

3 to 6 inch fish has to be a river where they spawn at, If not then a stocked impoundment. Elkton - Im guessing your fishing the coves of the Elk River or the Chesapeake Bay.
(This is total speculation because I have no idea where Elkton is except on a map).
At any rate the larger fish migrate out and the schoolies stay until they reach maturity around 3 years old and 20 inches or so.
My advice is to go to the MD DNR site, go over the regulation pages and find out when the trophy season starts. It will also provide reports and give you a better idea of whats going on and when.
http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/ke...ge=wheretofish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Official Member

RAndy, I belive he season starts 16Apr. - 15MayThe western shore of the bay, out in front of the Rod N Reel and Chesapeake Beach.The spring season is alot of fun. Nice size fish during this time.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Official Member

Thank you. Can you tell me what to use for baitand do you set outlong line with sliding line and bottom weight or what. Any help would be good for me to start this challenge.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

if you can get eels fine. if you can't then get eels...
don't rule out artificials along with your baits of choice be it bunker/herring etc. bass assasins/storm shads/bucktails will not always cull huge fish but whatever is there will not be hard to find with one of these. fish your bait and jig/swim some soft baits slow as you cover two angles. shrimp fly's dropped off a floating plug on a 3ft fluoro leader material and left to move in the current is another application. i don't have all the answers for you as i don't live there and have not fished it.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Master baiter

Randy, we are catching good rite now in the lower potomac. chartruse chutes in about 42-27' ive been hanging perch guts on my runners. they have move out from up where you are.