Black Salty Bait - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 06-11-2008, 09:38 AM
swabbie

Default Black Salty Bait

When I was heading out last weekend this guy in my marina was loading bait into his livewell at the dock and filling it with fresh water. I asked him what he was using and he said they're "Black Salty's". they were small silver fish about four inches long and very lively. He orders them from this web site and says they work great for bass. Apparently they are freshwater fish but stay alive in salt water for a couple hours. They looked like they'd work assuming they swim around and stay lively which he said they do. Has anyone tried them in the northeast or even heard of them? I checked their web site and there aren't any local dealers and I don't think it's worth ordering them via the mail - too much hassel.

http://www.blacksalty.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Black Salty Bait

I worked in a bait shop in RI and we carried the black salties. The state granted a 120 day temp license to the distributor and then told them they could not be imported into RI, the state was afraid they would reproduce in fresh water and we could only use them in salt. They are currently outlawed in many states especially the south. I tried them and they worked better dead then alive for me, fluke seemed to like them and I only got 1 bass on them. You may want to check the regs on them, I believe they are illegal to sell in Mass. but can be imported into the state. In RI the hype was incredible but they did not live up to the hype in my opinion. They are genetically engineered and they claim to be sterilized when they leave the plant. I think you may be better off with local baits.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:25 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Black Salty Bait

If the price for the bait and shipping is resonable I may give them a try. I'm sick and tired of buying local bait only to have them not live till the next day. If these things are 1/2 as hardy as they claim then they would be way better. I could use them in the lake I live on and also for stripers or whatever in the big pond, it's like a 2 for 1 deal.
I wonder how the stripers would like them?
Well I will try to post what I find out as I quess I have to call for pricing.

Has anyone else here tried them?
I'm sure after showing these to my father in law(also fishing partner at times) he will order some. The last several times we purchased shiners/minnows they were small and also died by the next day. They were kept in a live well that circulated/aerated often or in a bucket that was kept in the lake where they were taken from. I have not been able to get river herring(alewife) at all this year