Fuel injectors? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Boat repair issues & Shop Maintenance Tips and discussion on Boat parts/boat maintenance.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:22 AM
(formerly brian21johansen)

Default Fuel injectors?

while we had the boat out the other day we noticed that on two occasions the engine sputtered. It wasnt anything drastic, it happened quick and it wasnt like the engine completely shut down.....we were driving at a descent speed (i cant remeber rpms or anyting but we werent flying and we werent going "slow" either) My dad talked to the mechanic who works on the boat and he said that it may have to do with the fuel injectors....what do you guys think?
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2007, 12:58 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: Fuel injectors?

I think you need to give a little more info if anyone even has a prayer of answering your question.... we dont even know what kind of engine, how large or anything.....Solving performance problems on line is hard enough, but with out knowing anything about the boat and motor it is impossible.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:45 PM

hmmmmmmmmm yea i see what you mean. The engine is a merc cruiser i/o....210 hoursepower. The engine is practically brand new, its got about 31 hours on it. Its not a big deal.....were brining it down to have it looked at tomorrow but i was just hoping for some basic info about what the problem could be. We were driving along and the engine kind of sputtered and kept going with no problem. An hour later heading in a different direction the same thing happened. Both times I slowed down just to be safe. It honestly didnt seem like a big problem but i just want to be safe. When my dad explained it to the mechanic he told my dad it was probably the fuel injectors. I was hoping for a quick and eay answer, hoping somebody would know exactly what im talking about...but with engines its a little more complicated than that. Im sure theyll figure out what was going on with it when we bring it down tomorrow. They mentioned the fuel injectors but said it was associated with the fuel. What are the benefits of using fuel stabalizer or even the marine equivilent of fuel injector cleaner for the boat?
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2007, 02:34 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I dont believe that engine has fuel injection...... I could be mistaken......

More likly a bad distributor cap,wires or spark plug... but again, diagnosing something over the internet is difficult becuase alot of details are lost in transit....
Old 06-22-2007, 01:22 PM

yea i understand.....there working on the boat today so when i find out what happened ill let you know. Im almost positive the boat is fuel injected....funny you would say that though because my brother whos a mechanic said it wasnt fuel injected but carberated....i barely know the difference.....at the same time my day said it was fuel injected.....but hes not a mechanic either.