Ethanol Fuel - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Around The Woodstove > The Lounge
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Lounge Off-topic discussion here. Non-fishing related chit chat & banter. No Divisive subject matter - No Viscious Political and Religious debates please.

Old 05-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Veteran

Default Ethanol Fuel

Ethanol, have you been reading up on it. Sounds like trouble to me. They say it's bad for fiberglass tanks, shelf life is 60 to 90 days, stirs up junk in your tanks, mixes with water. When it goes bad ,the hole tank of gas is bad? with the old gas(MTBE) the water went to the bottom of the tank. You could suck it out.

Moved it to boating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2006, 11:07 PM

Yep, I went to fill up at my local dock they were emptying their tanks to replace with ethanol. I don't know much about it or what it is going to do to prices.

Does this mean water fuel separators will no longer work?
Old 05-10-2006, 07:48 AM
Veteran

I believe you will need to replace them more often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2006, 10:38 AM

From what I've read, your water/fuel seperator won't work with ethanol because ethanol mixes with water. In fact ethanol is quite hydroscopic...it will absorb moisture right out of the air.

I agree, moving to a high or all ethanol fuel could really create issues for us boaters. Both 2-strokes and 4-strokes should be modified to effectively run on ethanol. Without modifications, our motors will either run like crap, ethanol being about 33% less efficient, or not run at all.

4-strokes are an easier modification because they use a carburater that can be more readily adjusted to compensate for the richer running, less fuel efficient ethanol. Basically the air to fuel ratio needs to be adjusted allowing more fuel to enter the combustion chamber.

2-strokes present the biggest problem with their fuel injecters. The sensors need to be reprogramed for the higher ratio, something that requires special equipment, would prove difficult to accomplish in a retrofit, and be very costly. Also, the standard 2-stroke oil doesn't mix readily with ethanol. It has been proposed that Biodeisel could be used as an alternative to the traditional 2-stroke oil but limmited studies have been done.

Then you have all the other issues associated with it being a more aggresive solvent that may require new hoses, fittings, and tanks (if fiberglass)....to say nothing about it solvating the sludge at the bottom of my 18 year old boat's gas tank and fowling up everything.

If it goes this way there's going to be some bumpy roads ahead for us boaters and the boating industry in general.

Guess my next motor won't be and E-tec. Frankly, it kinda makes sense to hold off on buying a boat/engine until this sorts itself out and the actual manufacturers get on board.

PS: I just re-read my post and I sound like chicken little. Hope it doesn't happen as I predict.