Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Surfcasting Mistakes

98K views 141 replies 66 participants last post by  chunkster 
#1 ·
What do you think are the most common Surfcasting errors?
  • Listening to people speculate about where the fish are
  • Bad Knots
  • Gear is too Light
  • Dull Hooks
  • No Pre Planned landing Zone
anyone else?

#122 ·
fishing the same spots every night, even if they are productive.Runnin down the rocks with a fish on and forgettin to turn the head lamp on during the excitment.Walkin ten feet away from a spiked rod.I did get the rod, and the fish!

#128 ·
Leaving too early. I was at Montauk Point this week and it was approx. 11:30pm. I was the last one on the point and the stripers turned on like you wouldn't believe. I was getting one right after another and I was the only one there. My next advise is to not limit yourself to certain baits. The norm is to use tins during the day and swimmers at night. My buddies and I were catching stripers on tins at 10:30pm.
Be persistent and try different baits!:flyfish:

#134 ·
Yeahp, I've got to admit, I've made just about everyone of these mistakes...but I have to say the worst mistake I made is...I had one of those surf carts you put your cooler in and all your gear on to help you drag it down the sand. Well one Sunday my buddy and I caught 14 shorts and we decided to call it a night, get a little sleep in the car and come back just before sunrise. Well everytime we do this we drag the cart and all of our gear up behind the dunes and secure it to a pile with a chain. Well, in the middle of the night I was awoken by what I thought was thunder which was odd because there wasn't any storms forecast. I didn't think anything of it and fell right back asleep. The next morning we got up, headed down to the sand only to find a tsunami like rouge wave had come and whiped out everything. We found the cart, still attached to the pile which was broken off about 150 yards down the beach, completely bent, battered and half buried in sand, cooler gone, tacklebox gone, 5 rods gone, actually found one of the rods sticking up through the sand about 50 yards down the beach, 2 chairs gone, binoculars gone, I mean just about everything was gone or destroyed. All of the garbage cans on the beach were gone along with some lifeguard stands and other random things. I would have killed to see this wave. We lost about $2000 in gear. My plug bag with about 20 plugs gone, ugh it makes me sick to think about. From that day on we either take shifts watching the gear or we tough it out and drag it all the way back to the car. :Marine:

#135 ·
Yeahp, I've got to admit, I've made just about everyone of these mistakes...but I have to say the worst mistake I made is...I had one of those surf carts you put your cooler in and all your gear on to help you drag it down the sand. Well one Sunday my buddy and I caught 14 shorts and we decided to call it a night, get a little sleep in the car and come back just before sunrise. Well everytime we do this we drag the cart and all of our gear up behind the dunes and secure it to a pile with a chain. Well, in the middle of the night I was awoken by what I thought was thunder which was odd because there wasn't any storms forecast. I didn't think anything of it and fell right back asleep. The next morning we got up, headed down to the sand only to find a tsunami like rouge wave had come and whiped out everything. We found the cart, still attached to the pile which was broken off about 150 yards down the beach, completely bent, battered and half buried in sand, cooler gone, tacklebox gone, 5 rods gone, actually found one of the rods sticking up through the sand about 50 yards down the beach, 2 chairs gone, binoculars gone, I mean just about everything was gone or destroyed. All of the garbage cans on the beach were gone along with some lifeguard stands and other random things. I would have killed to see this wave. We lost about $2000 in gear. My plug bag with about 20 plugs gone, ugh it makes me sick to think about. From that day on we either take shifts watching the gear or we tough it out and drag it all the way back to the car. :Marine:
That was a painful story to read first thing on a Monday morning.......not nearly as painful as going through it though I'm sure.

#138 ·
Most common rookie mistake I noticed, besides safety stuff, is a poor catch and release of a fish. Especially a larger fish that needs to be handled properly. Catch Photograph release, sometimes turns into catch, toy with, drag onto the rocks, wait for buddy to grab camera out of car, photograph and toss back into the shallows.

These days, enough people try to release fish, which is good, but if you get a good fish, you don't need to loosen your drag to extend the fight. Get her in, dehook in the shallows, and sure.... snap a pic, but run em thru the water til the fin goes up and send her back on her way.

#139 ·
Most common rookie mistake I noticed, besides safety stuff, is a poor catch and release of a fish. Especially a larger fish that needs to be handled properly. Catch Photograph release, sometimes turns into catch, toy with, drag onto the rocks, wait for buddy to grab camera out of car, photograph and toss back into the shallows.

These days, enough people try to release fish, which is good, but if you get a good fish, you don't need to loosen your drag to extend the fight. Get her in, dehook in the shallows, and sure.... snap a pic, but run em thru the water til the fin goes up and send her back on her way.
THIS!!! Read it folks.... :icon_thumright:

#140 ·
I bought reel/rod last year to try to start surf casting, I used to fish as a kid, and terribly miss the smell of the salt air, can anyone recommend a easy starters guide to surfcasting?? I live in the Hartford CT area and will be along the eastern short of CT, anyone recommend any peers or beaches?or if anyone is looking for a fishing partner with a flexible schedule, please message me! thanks guys! this site is amazing

#142 ·

There are no small jobs only small people.
12 hour shifts, 6 days a week working nights
in a factory as a machine operator. How did
you get here.

This job isn’t for everyone.

He has this big effen melon head and he’s telling me about
his mother’s remission with cancer and bragging about his kids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.