Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Surfcasting Mistakes

98K views 141 replies 66 participants last post by  chunkster 
#1 ·
What do you think are the most common Surfcasting errors?
  • Listening to people speculate about where the fish are
  • Bad Knots
  • Gear is too Light
  • Dull Hooks
  • No Pre Planned landing Zone
anyone else?

#97 ·
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this-
Shining those freaking 50,000,000 candlepower lights all over the water!!
Seriously, I've been fishing on rocks and points at night with fish literally at my feet and then some know nothin......ahem-un-informed individual starts flashing his bright white superxenon head lamp on them saying "wow, look at how close they are!" and zip! out they go cause they've been spooked and so has the bait.
Sorry, just my pet peeve.....
save the lights for the way out and keep them off the water

#100 ·
Heres a new one. Leaving one of your wading boots on the side of the road while changing and not realizing until your three hours away from where you were fishing.

#106 ·
When I was fishing the front by the lighthouse at Beavertail I was in the process of changing a plug. For some reason I got distracted and dropped the rod and reel below. I slid down the rocks and retrieve the rod and reel that was underwater. Other than that it was fun meeting with the guys.

#108 ·
Changing plugs in the dark thinking your duo lock is in fact duo locked. Tossing a plug you took off the spinner last week made to look look like a tinker mack (the only one you made) tossing it out to the wash and finding out in fact you only had one of the clips locked down. Good bye plug.

#115 ·
One new mistake this season- decided to join the fat-ass deadstick brigade and throw out an anchor and bait. Drew back the rod, got a good preload and flung 'er forward to a SNAP!......I have no idea where the pyramid, hook and eel went. Tied on another eel and decided to cast and retrieve, as usual. I think I would be bummed out if I didn't get to feel the fish hit, and fight it through the first couple of surface crashes.

What do these guys all run to their rods to see who has the fish on?

#119 ·
I do alot of striper fishing from the beach here in New Jersey and alot of mistakes i see are mainly from people being too anxious to set the hook instead of giving the bass a little time to take the bait. Right about now there are blitzes of smaller bass. They usually don't slam your pole like the cows that are out there. Be patient.

#121 ·
I was casting a swiming plug into a south shore surf at night during a full moon, not knowing how far out it was on retrieval, I was reeling in and the wave was going out and BOING like a sling shot the plug came flying at my head! If it was'nt for the light of the moon I would have a new face ornament, duct just in time.---LOUIE :smiley17e:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.