Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Surfcasting Mistakes

98K views 141 replies 66 participants last post by  chunkster 
#1 ·
What do you think are the most common Surfcasting errors?
  • Listening to people speculate about where the fish are
  • Bad Knots
  • Gear is too Light
  • Dull Hooks
  • No Pre Planned landing Zone
anyone else?

#62 ·
Sons of Scotland
I am William Wallace.
"William Wallace is 7 feet tall"
Yes I've heard
Kills men by the hundreds
- and if he were here, he would consume the English with fireballs from his eyes
and bolts of lightning from his arse.
I am William Wallace

#66 ·
I know I try to remember to go slow, Many times when I make the effort to reel twice as slow as I think is slow enough I hook up. Two favorite plugs to work super slow , 1) red-fin 2) 2 & 3/8 swimming a sinking super strike popper as slow as you can go. My go to plugs, the SS casts great to cover a lot of water and the red-fin draws the fish.
O'D

#69 ·
1. Not doing proper recon on a new beach, then having to go home early 'cause there's no way to get 50 ft down sheer rocks to the water.

2. Being too anxious to wet a line and not reading the beach for signs: birds, baitfish, rips, sandbars, etc. for best results. :smiliedoh:

#72 ·
leaving your gear unattended while you run down the dock to get your hook removers (which you have forgotten in the truck) then coming back to see that while you were gone almost everyone else on the dock has decided to put their rod on the end and cast over your lines...or better yet half your tackle is missing and all of a sudden no one speaks english...

just one of the benefits of being told where to go

#75 ·
leaving your gear unattended while you run down the dock to get your hook removers (which you have forgotten in the truck) then coming back to see that while you were gone almost everyone else on the dock has decided to put their rod on the end and cast over your lines...or better yet half your tackle is missing and all of a sudden no one speaks english...
Does fishing off the white bucket dock qualify as surfcasting? :einstein:

#77 ·
i purposely took a white bucket to the cape.....
that first trip with the dogfish??
and who was it that wanted to sit.
nobody said a word to me cause they thought i was nuts.
white bucket/7 dogfish/ i was just humiliated.
thank god nobody else caught anything.
i don't care about the white bucket thing as to this day
know friends who still can outfish the best of them taking their little white bucket to the beach. i really have to be careful who i insult as i know
more about fishing etiquette and less about fishing humility.
appearances can be decieiving but can also warrant humiliation from us
better off dead then carry a bucket clan.

#83 ·
Also guilty....easy fix im gonna just get some depends and let it rip! Also guilty of not watching my step when there is 24929419 horseshoe crabs on the beach....poor ugly bastages....nothing like crunching one to suprise the crap out of you...

#86 ·
That is brutal having to take a leak when you finally get geared up and are heading out to fish. Particularly in the fall on cold nights when you have on Neoprene, long johns, Sweat pants, long shirt, all tucked in to keep warm and then you gotta go. Brutal!

This is the most embarassing story ever and I will share for the laughter of all. One time when I was a kid I was fishing the mouth of the Mack and had set up that point of a great honey hole. I arrived pre-outgoing tide late at night. So I could get to the point. Well as soon as the fish started hitting here comes the need to take a leak. Fish on every cast I said screw it! let it rip in the waders! Absolutely the most uncomfortable I had been in my life! But I caught a ton of fish that night. :smiliedoh:

#88 ·
That was many moons ago and the least comfortable I have ever been in a pair of waders. Hopefully someone got a laugh out of it.

The waders were long ago retired.

#90 ·
Lol, no they were lightweight plastic variety and they were thrown away. At the time I was working for an outfitter in Framingham and had all the discounts a boy could handle. If only I could have known then what I know now about the 706z and the 704z. I would be a thousandare.

#91 ·
Mistake #billion: Not Recon'ing efficiently. After all the times i spent driving around aimlessly and not finding any kind of new spot that looked interesting; I was searchin on googlemaps and came across a wicked little rock grouping. Drove there today this morining when it was low tide and WOW how the hell didnt i fish this spot before. Just goes to show there is always a spot you havent heard of, always keep ur eyes open, and put your time in. I cant wait to slay cows there this spring:shocked:

#92 ·
Man I hear ya jxa, I took a trip down to Biddeford Pool yesterday and couldn't believe all the places that looked promising. I'll try and dig up a few pictures (hmmm, or would that be considered a spot burn???), but this place is the friggen see-all end-all spot for cow hunting. Picture a mile long stretch of boulder sized rocks you can hop around on, tidal pool, rips and oooooooooodles of sructure.........friggen paradise man. I'll send ya a PM so as not to upset the masses, good luck this season man, I'm countin down the days already!!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.