Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Surfcasting Mistakes

98K views 141 replies 66 participants last post by  chunkster 
#1 ·
What do you think are the most common Surfcasting errors?
  • Listening to people speculate about where the fish are
  • Bad Knots
  • Gear is too Light
  • Dull Hooks
  • No Pre Planned landing Zone
anyone else?

#28 ·
Re: Surfcasting errors

Casting a new lure - finally getting a strike after a smack but missing the fish. You reel in and the freekin plastic is still on the hooks. :smiliedoh:

#30 ·
Taking your attention off your surroundings while in the surf zone.

I had to pull a guy out of the water at Beavertail last night. He was standing in the surf zone, tying on a different plug,,,,, with his back to the surf. Took a wicked wave square in the back that knocked him off his feet. I was perched on a rock about 30 yards up the coast from him and took the same wave over my head, but I was prepared for it and kept my footing.

ALWAYS watch the surf when you're in the zone!!!

#34 ·
Wading out to an island at low tide just as it's getting dark and the mosquitoes are starting to swarm, then accidentally spraying DEET directly into my open plugbag - completely ending any chance of catching a fish.
And being trapped on that island for most of the night waiting for the tide to drop. Just me and 10,000,000,000 half starved bloodsucking bugs.

#35 ·
Having 6 eels to start with, walking out to the tip of the jetty, and ending up with 2 before i get one hooked correctly and actually in the water. slippery bastards.......

:7834:

#123 ·
Having 6 eels to start with, walking out to the tip of the jetty, and ending up with 2 before i get one hooked correctly and actually in the water. slippery bastards.......

I put my eels in individual sandwich bags before I go out. It works great. pull out a bag, hook the eel through the head while its still in the bag, pull off the bag, and voila! no mess!

#36 ·
baitrunner,

does fishing the farthest rocks out at the graveyard during an incoming tide, in the middle of the night, with high storm surge when the weather service has warnings for water spouts and tornadoes constitute a mistake? answer: yes. because you will die? thats a pretty good reason, but more importantly because it gets weedy in there when its that rough :icon_pirate:

#37 ·
Fishing high bridges without a bridge net late at night and hooking a big bass you can't handline up....stupidity on my part...

#45 ·
I would agree but with a bridge net you can do so gently and quickly...especially if you have someone else with you....don't judge :) not that many spots in the bean town...

Revised mistake: Fishing in Boston aka googan heaven!

Also and not as relevant for most....fishing near tourists....

I had this lady this year crawl so far up my ass while I was fighting a good 25# bass that I had to start yelling at her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean she was stepping on my gear, and almost on my member!

#41 ·
Lack of confidence ! I go out every night "looking" for any signs - birds, bait, other fishermen and see nothing, take a few cast then get discouraged. Last year I had a good season, bought some new equipment over the winter and spring and it hasn't exactly been rewarding just yet:anon:.

#42 ·
ur not alone dude, fishing around the bean and the cape hasnt been very good this summer judging from everyone ive talked to around here (surfcasting anyway, using boats is cheating). I spent like 4 and a half hours and a 30 pack last night in dennis port at chapin beach with a couple buddies. perfect conditions kinda sprinkling, We caught 3 blues and 4 schoolies, not even close to any keepers. just hasnt been big this year. wa wa waaaaaa

#58 ·
For a 1/2 second I thought I was receiving kudos from an old salt, then ya drop the 'G' word on me? Damn u Gunny, if I weren't laughing right now, my feelings would be hurt.....:lff3:. I spent many evenings (first mistake, not familiarizing myself with it during the day) @ The Pool, unfortunately I've been limited to the beach "next to the honey hole" 'cause I've yet to make myself a pair of korkers. I know, I know, I should just buy a pair, but $$ was tight this year and I STILL spent a boat load on fishing accessories (I'll say it for ya, that was my 2nd mistake). I got a couple/few haunts staked out and TRUST me, fishing in the tourist trap known as OOB will be minimal next year if at all. If you guys make a trip up north next year I can GUARENTEE that I won't be the "leftout kid" sitting at home. Well equipped with korkers, I'm gonna make Biddeford Pool my b**ch next year just as it made me a few times. Tight lines man, and a happy fall run to you all.

StriperHyper ~ Will

#53 ·
Another one I have to add is missing a wind knot deep on the spool.
Lose one good plug and it better not happen again. If it does one should just kick themselves hard in the ass.

#60 ·
Jim: "jon are those waves getting bigger?"

Me: "Yes they are!!!??!!"

Jim: "I think its time to get out of here"

Me: "?!?!?!?!"

Jim had just gotten washed down the rock!!!!!!

This is after both of us slipped trying to get up the damn thing and ended up floating for a minute...I was waiting for the cold water to go down the back of my waders but thankfully I used the bottom of my rod to pop myself up....

Lesson: Jim is a surf casting mistake and you must be reckless with your life to fish with him!

#55 ·
Picture this. Going out for the first time with a New 10ft med heavy. Putting on the heaviest plug in the bag to really test it grabbing the line Like you would with your 8 fter and a small plug no glove either. Going into the back cast feeling the rod load up. Starting your forward cast and feeling fireline rip through your fingertips as the weight of a 4 oz popper loaded up tears about 2 inches off the drag. That is by far the biggest mistake I have made this year I can still feel it. :smiliedoh:

#57 ·
That was last weekend. I am used to fishing sandy stuff and needed to pick up something heavier for the rocks. So I picked up something heavier and that is how I learned to really get a firm hold on the line When casting. I am used to throwing with 8 footers and large stuff but when that rod loaded it loaded and tore back.

#61 ·
reckless...nah, calculated insanity..i knew when it was time to move...too bad it was sooner than i wanted it to be...i have a feeling that spot would have produced a few fish if we could have stayed there...but no fish is worth dying for...but im not scared to get wet and maybe a little beat up for a big one.:redbiggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.