Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Harvesting Fish from Shore

9K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Joe713 
#1 ·
I am among the rest of you boatless anglers, whether by means or by choice. Over the years I have tried to make fishing from shore more efficient and ergonomic. When fishing freshwater, where most fish harvested are relatively small compared to a a keeper striper at a minimum of 28".

As many shore bound anglers can attest to, there are plenty of downfalls to not having a boat. Also, there can be a lot of leg work whether it's walking from a parking spot, hiking down a beach, or navigating a marsh river.

Anyway, I only have two hands, I keep all my tackle in a backpack, rod in one hand, so toting a long a cooler full of ice big enough to keep a 28" striped bass is doable, but not easy by any means.

How do most of you go about caring for and transporting a fish you intend to keep while fishing by from shore? Forgetting about dragging a cooler along the shore as I fish, I was thinking just bleeding Bf cleaning the fish immediately upon landing, then tossing it in a big garbage bag so I can keep it somewhat clean on the walk back to the car, where I can keep a cooler filled with some old frozen water bottles and/or ice.(I hate having to buy ice before each trip, and it's slightly embarrassing not catching a fish while having a cooler full of ice in the car just waiting for a limit of fishalright.gif)

Anyway, hope some don't mind getting their brains picked and have some good advice.

Thanks,

Joe

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.