Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

bait or plugs

Tags
bait plugs
6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  citytransplant 
#1 ·
I was wondering, Do most surf fisherman cast plug's or soak bait. Do the times that you fish casting or soaking have something to do with it. soaking bait you can do any time, casting plugs seems a.m or p.m. is best. I do both, But favor plug's. Your thoughts.

#2 ·
I think for most it comes down to preference of fishing style, but there are certain times of season and locations where to be effective you must toss personal preference aside.

Take the spring spawning run in the Hudson River for example. If you're not fishing with herring your chances of being effective are slim. The bass are keyed in on that particular forage fish and will usually pass up most other offerings. On the other hand, when fishing at the Cape Cod Canal the speed of the current alone makes bait fishing impractical except for a short time around the turn of the tide when the current slows to a stop and then changes direction.

Aside from factors such as those where the practicality or effectiveness of one method is significantly reduced, it seems to me that personal preference for one style of fishing over the other seems to be what causes most folks to lean in direction or the other. A guy who prefers to fish with plugs or artificials will generally do so regardless of the time of day or season, and simply adjust his arsenal to match the conditions. A guy who prefers to take a more relaxed approach and soak bait chunks will usually choose bait over plugs regardless of other factors which may indicate that a different method would be more effective.

That said, there are some who will readily tailor both their offering and fishing style to what experience tells them will land the most fish in the given conditions.

This is just what I've observed over the last 10 years of fishing with a lot of different folks. For some, it's all about the quality of the overall experience and they'll choose a method of fishing that holds the greatest appeal to them even if it means they may not land as many fish. It's about "fishing" not necessarily "catching". Others tend to be more interested in landing as many fish as possible (or as large a fish as possible) by whatever means will achieve that goal. That's what brings them the greatest satisfaction and that's fine, too. I guess it comes down to what you really want to get out of it....

#4 ·
The few things I don't like about bit fishing: the hassle and inonvenience of making a trip to the bait shop before my fishing trip. I'm usually gun-ho ready to go and don't want to waste extra time. It gets expensive if you fish often. $5-10 a trip for bait can add up each month. Plus, I don't really like just sitting around watching my rod for hours on end.

I prefer to stay active, so casting and working lures helps me stay intuned and focused. If a certain spot isn't productive, I'll walk a ways and try another, then another if permittable. Plus you can catch fish after fish after fish for years I. end on the same one plug barring it doesn't get broken off or destroyed.

But there are plenty of times I got ski led and went home with the voice in my head yelling " if I only had bait!!!!" :frustrated:

#6 ·
All things being equal (which is rarely the case) I'd go with fresh or frozen natural bait over anything artificial. Since moving inland years ago, I do much more fresh water fishing and the same strategy prevails. Live worms over spinners when fishing for trout or bass, bunker over spoons and plugs when fishing the surf for stripers or blues.

Of course if I get absolutely no action after some time presenting natural bait, I will switch up to plugs, spoons, or jigs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.