Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
139K views 166 replies 43 participants last post by  Jeremyct 
#1 ·
These pictures are from a recycled lost thread on old surf fishing pictures.
The first one is Kay Townsend
and Rosa Webb with ladies' all tackle world records
that were caught within an hour.
Jaw Standing Fish Smile Fin

Attachments

See less See more
#110 ·
That is crazy! Do you know when that pic was taken?
Not that long ago. 5 years maybe. beach netting was legal on NC beaches. might still be.

Heres a pictorial from the 70's on haul seining. It is part of the history of striped bass.
http://www.noreast.com/emblaze/haulseineslides.cfm
The practice still goes on legally in December through february in North Carolina and the authorities give precedence in beach access to the commercial guys until they get their quota.
They dont exactly shout about it in public. Some research might be in order to make sure Im making accurate statements here.

below is a pic from the noreastern slide presentation.

Attachments

#111 ·
Quite a few years back, I was fishing Ocracoake Island with some friends. Along comes 4 pick-ups. 1 has a skiff in the back, 2 are empty, 1 has a net. All my buddies said was, "OH F*^%". Sure enough they push the boat in the surf, hook the net to it, it goes out and along the beach. 1 of the pick-ups runs down to where the boat is coming to shore. They hook the net to the truck, and both vehicles drive away in opposite directions. keep in mind this did not take very long, half hour max. Red Drum of 30-60 lbs and more bluefish than you could count. The drum went into the trucks, the bluefish stayed on the beach. Our fishing abruptly ended, and the beach did not recover for the 2 other days we were there.
Since that day, Drum are no longer harvested that way, and a wanton waste act was imposed due to the number of bluefish these guy's left behind every time they did this.
I think it is long over due, that this method of fishing for Stripers becomes history as well.

#122 ·
Quite a few years back, I was fishing Ocracoake Island with some friends. Along comes 4 pick-ups. 1 has a skiff in the back, 2 are empty, 1 has a net....
i'm a newbie here but a regular in the OBX surf and i've seen beach netting exactly as described here as recently as fall '06!

i can't say what the target may have been, but what i saw in the net was a couple dozen jumping mullet...nothing more thankfully.

but it does happen today, and i'm sure if the haul had been something other, then netters wouldn't have been complaining. damn ********.

#123 ·
Freddie left us early last spring. I was proud to call him a friend.
Hope yer hammering 50's up there pal.

#124 ·
Fred was a good egg. I built the rod holders in his store when Andy did the renovation a few years back. I enjoyed listening to his stories about the old days. He never quite got over losing Azie. Hopefull, they're setting new world records together again.

Now I'm not sure if it's the same Fred. I'm talking about Fred from Staten Island, owned Fred's B&T on Amboy Road.

#125 ·
This was Freddie Gartner, nicknamed Doodlebug for his favorite method of fishing. He was from Belmar NJ and member of the NJ Striped Bass Fishermans HOF and Shark River Surf Anglers.
One of the pioneers of modern bridge fishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.