Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Penn 704z

Tags
704z penn
148K views 253 replies 44 participants last post by  cunezstun 
#1 ·
Well i decided to do some rock hopping this fall in Montauk so i picked up a Penn 704z, did all the tricks, made my holes, painted it(no powder coat yet),got a sealed bearing, new handle,drag,drag knob,shaft and manual bail(not sure how this works) My question is do you guys pack the reel with grease? I mean really pack it tight or just lob a lot by the entryways? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#208 ·
hey mad69, I just got it a week and a half ago they should definately have them for the 704, i didnt even check there site just called them after scotts didn't have any. You should be able to get one, I hope other wise I should have bought more.

Hey seed420, love the name haha! I see what you did in the picture and it is a great alternative, I will try something possibly like that, after putting the 704 kit on I really like the fact that I can always put the bail back on and the 3 parts in the kit fit perfectly. But you are right I was wondering the same thing why doesnt a shop or parts place just make kits for the popular reels? Also I just dont want to start buying scrap reels all the reels I have new and old are all in working condition and matched to rods, dont really want to stockpile scrap.

Always appreciate the insight and opinions as I hope do mine!

ChefBX :cook:

#210 ·
Has anyone used duracoat paint to re-paint their reels? From what I understand this is a gun paint that holds up very well, they also sell the stripper/solvent and filler - seems expensive but looks like it will work rather well. The filler looks like good stuff to fill in the pits on the spool.

#212 ·
I'd mod them both but if you only wanna do oe then by all means send me the other one, I'll mod it and fish it and let you know how she works lol. Honestly I'd do both but alotta people have some kinda collector mentality when it comes to the 706 or the 706Z and they'd rather leave it as is but to me a drilled and slotted 706Z is bada$$. I have 2 704s, 1 greenie that I modded and 1 704Z that I fully modded/drilled out and painted Flyers black and orange. Good luck with em tho and make sure you post pics of your progress.

#218 ·
If you need templates just take 5 mins and layout a template you like on paper then just cut the slots out with scissors. If you wanna do the VS slots just make sure they're evenly spaced out. If you wanna drill it out and just do holes then layout a pattern you like and drill away. No need to borrow someone else's templates, I mean it is you reel right? Why not take a few mins and layout your own template so it's still your reel with your design, not your reel with someone else's design that's on several other reels.

#219 ·
Well, After reading about 50 pages worth of Penn 704 stuff, I decided to try to upgrade/refurbish a 704 I got that was on a very nice Cobia rod that needed a little TLC. I dissassembled the reel, and was trying to get the main bearing out, and like most people I hade a very tough time. I used the "Soup" method and put on a pot of water and let it boil with the frame inside for about 5 minutes. This headed up the case and made pulling the pinion gear much easier. I have done this with three cases now. I am going to be replacing the main bearing with a Boca Hybrid, probably send one case to RJ to let him do his magic. With the other case I'll attempt to mill out so put more bearings in. So, with the thought of putting more bearings in, I needed to remove the old handle bushings and the rear pinion bushing. So, I used a 3/8 drill bit, turned it around, put it in the chuck of my 15" Craftsman floor press and I was able to push out the rear pinion bushing no problem. I then used a round file which had a square point on one end to put in the handle housing and I tapped it with a small hammer. Mind you that I put the case back into the boiling water for 5 minites before I tried this so that the metal would be nice and ready for movement, plus, what ever grease was in there would be thinner. Here are some pics of how I did it. It sure has made my transition to tinkering with these things easier with all the pics on this forum and others. Cheers.

-Jonathan

http://img39.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=img3687ts.jpg

#221 ·
Well, I only pushed the bushings out on 1 of the three cases (two complete reels) that I have. I can always try to put them back in when it comes to drilling time. I guess I could get a milling base to mount on my drill press plate to drill the outlets. I wanted to ask you what you decided to do with the needle bearings and clutches. After all the reading I didn't feel like I knew what direction you went with. Also did you ever find a bearing that would fit inside the handle portion that could be bracketed by the bushings or additional bearins? I have looked at all the bearing sized you spec'd out on page 11 and found Boca's orange seal bearings for all of them except the main pinion bearing. as I understand you went with VBX for those? I know they are about 1/2 the price of the Boca's. I like the idea of the anit reverse nature of the clutch bearing(s) but I didn't see too much in the feedback from people who have done it and then used it for a little while. Did you find a solution to the excessice wear on the handle shaft? I think that was due to using ceramic bearings vs SS. I am still looking for that email RJ.....Any ways, it has been addicting messing with these reels. Now I have been dreaming of taking this case to a CNC machine and make a duplicate out of billet SS and making SS side plates. Talk about over kill! Too bad Penn wouldn't sell a 200 unit license to some one so they could run some billet bodies!

-Jonathan

#222 ·
Well, I got my Boca bearings in the mail friday. So today I decided to try to sand blast the spare case that I had. Here are the results. I better figure out what color I want to paint it. I didn't really blast the inside but it will get a coat of paint, (light). Now I have to figure out what bearings to get for the rest of the reel.

-Jonathan

http://img513.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=40330239.png

#223 ·
brick.gif Sorry man, been real busy. On the one way clutch bearing, i had it all worked out but the rollers in the bearing kept eating at the main gear shaft so i had to disengage it and take it off the table for now. the rollers were made on 440c SS not ceramic but cut into the shaft like butter. I got some bearings at the beginning from VXB in Anaheim but Boca's are much better quality even if they cost more, they're worth it. Trying to figure out what i'm supposed to e-mail you??? Help!....:) brick.gif

#224 ·
Housing looks nice and clean except for the inside. If you cover ALL the metal you'll never have to worry about corrosion, it's what i do to my reels. You'll want to sand down the reel saddle tips so it will go in the reel seat easier. Don't forget you'll have a thicker coat of paint so certain parts of the reel need extra TLC- (elbow grease). I'll let you know as you go along. :icon_stirthepot:

#234 ·
I know this is a really old thread but just started my 704z. Gathering parts but need to know if you guys used the 704 bail arm or something else. Here's mine but it has that distinctive Penn downward slant. Should I just bend it into a proper position (after removal of course)? Also thought maybe a longer metal bumper?
Thanks,
Don

Attachments

#235 ·
There's a little rubber bumper that fits in the hole on the metal stop coming off the rotor - yours is missing
Make one out of a bit of heavy rubber. issue solved

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.