Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Penn 704z

Tags
704z penn
148K views 253 replies 44 participants last post by  cunezstun 
#1 ·
Well i decided to do some rock hopping this fall in Montauk so i picked up a Penn 704z, did all the tricks, made my holes, painted it(no powder coat yet),got a sealed bearing, new handle,drag,drag knob,shaft and manual bail(not sure how this works) My question is do you guys pack the reel with grease? I mean really pack it tight or just lob a lot by the entryways? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#147 ·
well i have begun the process of stripping the spool along with the rest of the reel and was disappointed to find out that the side plate is not metal because i really wanted this reel to be silver. guess i'm gonna leave it black unless i can find a 704 greenie side plate to put on. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

#151 ·
Bob, changing the bushings is a real pain, one reason for the bearings, also leaving the bushings in does strengthen the housing. On the main gear though the bushing will be completelly shaved off ( bigger bearing goes here, i think 8mmx16mmx4mm) but it helps with the positioning of the drill bit as you get started. Don't start drilling untill you have the bearings. You don't wanna drill too deep, you'll wreck the housing! Must be precise!
I'll put up the measurements on how much to take out and where after the weekend, need to check my notes!
You won't need a caliper if i give you the numbers, just a ruler with MM's.

#152 ·
Great Googley Moogley Batmat!

Cappy,

You have gone above and beyond to show what really can be accomplished with these reels. I appreciate the hard work and determination you have put forth. Now I need to see about doing the same because I am a bit of a efficiency whore . Inspiring! Just let me know your address so I can send a 704 to you so we don't waste any time lol

RLs

#153 ·
Bearing A- stock bearing- 9x22x7mm.- no milling required

Bearing B- lower pinion bearing-8x12x3.5- mill out 3.5mm with 12mm bit

Bearing C- inside main gear bearing(same size as 706) 8x16x5
Beacause this bearing replaces a flanged bushing(flange measures .5mm.) mill out only 4.5mm. with 16mm. bit to compensate for the flange.

Bearing D- outer main gear bearing 8x12x3.5mm. flanged.- mill out 3mm. with 12mm. bit.

Beacause there are no bearing retainers being used the bearings should snuggly fit in place and should not fall out by themselves. Split ring pliers should be used to change the bearings out. Good Luck!

Last pic shows i'm ready for the hockey season! Go Isles!!!!!!!!!!!th_icon_splitform.g:

Attachments

#157 ·
I have three more just like that to send you RJ.
Maybe we will raffle one off for Christmas.
I need to pick up some drag washers and manual bail kits.
I only have one stainless kit.

#160 ·
DR,
I guess that would be my second option but not the aerosol spray. I tryed that and it's too flimsy. It would have to be done by a body shop properly and baked under the lights. Too many steps to be cost effective IMO but i will go out and get an estimate.
Powder Coat and Powder Paint are not the same animal. I use powder paint on my jiggs. Powder Coat is electrostaticly applied, it applies a nice thin coat without any buildup and it cures to a rock-hard finish. Bullet proof IMO.

#161 ·
Rj,
I can't wait to put that finished reel in the kid's hot little hands!
He believes that he can smell luck in the air when we pick a fishing spot. When we play a board game, he smells the pieces and picks his "when he smells the luck on one."
I have a feeling that when he opens up that reel, he is going to be overcome with the smell of luck!
Thanks again.
HarrytheKid's Dad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.