Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Penn 704z

Tags
704z penn
148K views 253 replies 44 participants last post by  cunezstun 
#1 ·
Well i decided to do some rock hopping this fall in Montauk so i picked up a Penn 704z, did all the tricks, made my holes, painted it(no powder coat yet),got a sealed bearing, new handle,drag,drag knob,shaft and manual bail(not sure how this works) My question is do you guys pack the reel with grease? I mean really pack it tight or just lob a lot by the entryways? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#68 ·
Filing it by hand sounds a bit scary to me. I bought my needles at VXB I want to say they were 12 od. And I tried them on the shaft and they fit perfect. I am going to buy a set of adjustable reamers this weekend at a machine shop supplier this weekend so i can get it nice and tight in there. I also consider loc-tite or even marine epoxy in a thin layer on the outside of the clutch. I haven't been nearly as involved in mine as you have been though. I am looking forward to dig into it though.

#69 · (Edited)
I'm using the needles from VMX as well. I guess i mean more like "sanding" with a fine file or could wrap some fine gritt 600 sandpaper on the bit and spin it around. My bit is 11.9 mm and i guess that .1 makes enough of a difference to not let the bearing slide in. The needle is 12mm on the caliper but other bearings i have are 12.2 and even 12.3 whichis a PITA cause you gotta sand a lot. I like the Epoxy idea although i'm gonna try loktight first and see how that holds up.thumbsup.gif

:smiliedoh: Just realizing by filing you meant about the knob shaft:lff3:! Actually it worked:whistle:I bought some cheap garbage knowing they were gonna get ripped up but it worked. I'll put up picks on my next post.

BTW i think that makes it six bearings if the needle works!:usa:

#71 ·
Hey Cappy. Good going. I had hoped to do mine but things got crazy this winter. I have a bunch of notes I made when I thought about doing this as I knew it could be done-make a great reel better. Maybe when you have a chance we can go over things. You had mentioned that you may have some things left over. Well now that I have a couple other good reels to use I'm taking my 704 out of commission to modify. Shoot me a PM when you get a chance. Did you drill out the spool and skirt? If you need I have a few drill presses along with a mill we could do it on.

Scratch the drilling part, I just didn't look at all the posts-got lazy

#73 ·
Well this is my first post on this forum, I noticed the thread for the 704s and
figured I show you guys my first attempt at doing a couple Rat-Reels.
Two tune one I did for my dads 70th B-day gift and the silver one I did for his life long fishing buddy. Now I'm working on one for my self.
B&S one also had the anti reverse selector removed.

Attachments

#77 ·
stripped to bare metal and cleaned,
baked,
cleaned again,
Napa self etching primer.
baked,
wet sanded 800
let dry for 24 hrs.
Paint automotive urethane,
Clear is Rattle Can Rustoleum 3 coats.

Polished parts are not cleared, I just waxed them.:gob_icon_cheers:

#78 ·
That should hold up preety good, esp. cleaning it twice before applying primer. I wanna powder coat(hot coat) mine but afer the quote i got today i may choose a differen't path. The guy wanted three hundred to do four reels :lff3: so i gotta find someone more reasonable. God bless your dad for still swinging a rod at seventy. I hope i'll be doing that!:notworthy:

#79 ·
The biggest contributor to a bad paint job, for me anyhow, has been not being anal about cleaning the aluminum really, really well right before etching primer. Last reel I used sodium hydroxide(lye) to make sure the thing was super clean. Be careful with the stuff, but it certainly cleans the aluminum. Washed and poured some vinegar on it to neutralize it, and then washed it again. Dried with a heat gun and used an etching primer. That reel is getting tested this season. The limited use it has seen testing plugs is looking good, but it hasn't been beat, dropped, or banged around yet. It will, but I have a feeling it will hold up, but only time, and a mess of fish peeling off drag, will tell.:yay: If it doesn't hold up, then it gets stripped again. Mine is about a 1963 fixed handle 700 and has lots of years left in it.

#88 ·
Since the main gear and ratchet (anti-reverse) are almost impossible to find brand new i would recomend to wait until e-bay has one listed NIB(new in box). It's gonna suck to drill a brand new reel. If you buy a used one make sure to ask the seller about the main gear!

#225 ·
That looks great. Question for you guys: are you painting right over the gold anodized on the spool or do you strip it off first? I know this is an old thread, but it's like the Bible for Penn restores. I just took my first crack at a t 710z and it turned out pretty well, but I didn't drill the spool or mess with the gold anodized. I have a 704z that I'm planning next and definitely will drill spool and wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks!

#90 ·
I also never use the A.R., so on this one i just did away with it entirely and filled the hole with aluminum.

As far as grease, i coat everything inside with SuperLube. I also coat the shaft and nut inside the rotor cup before i put the spool on. I think packing the reel to the hilt with grease is overkill, but then again, i take my reels apart every3 or 4 trips anyway.

Differant strokes for differant folks.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.