Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Your Plug Bag

Your Plug Bag?

Tags
plug bag
64K views 76 replies 45 participants last post by  148 forest 
#1 ·
Your plug bags. Aquaskins -Van staal - BW - Canyon - Precision Hunters?

I like the small tall single row aquaskins the belt pouch and medium double surf bags.

#2 ·
I love my big bronco when I'm heading somewhere new and fit a lot of different stuff. then I got two BW belt bags that are great when you wanna travel light and also the precision small bag for night fishing. They all seem to hold well although you may wanna change the bw tubes as they come apart very quick, use tennis ball tubes as replacements

#3 ·
2 AS large, 1 VS, 3 Plano, and 1 ancient canvas bag, one of those old army green ones with the leather straps, that I'm emotionally attached to.

The AS bags are setup for Montauk, one day, one night

The VS is my daily bag for here in Jersey - holds a little more, especially tins

The 3 Planos are used mainly for baitfishing. You can take the dividers out leaving the plastic box frame - perfect for carrying stuff. One is setup for bass one is setup for fluke and one is used as a backup plug bag.

The old canvas bag is unique in that it holds the biggest kind of plugs, things that don't fit at all in the AS and are too tall for the VS. I've had it for so long that I can't even remember where or when I got it, all I know is that it's the greatest bag of all time for humping big pluggage on those long walks at Sandy Hook.

#4 ·
I have the AS small single row belt bag. Nice, but not tall enough for most of the plugs I use. The tall version is on my wish list. I had the large AS plug bag as well, also a tad too short for some of my bigger plugs,,, but it's currently on the ocean floor somewhere near Cow Town. :whistle:

#6 ·
Aqua Skins single row bag. Not bad fits a few plugs but holds lots of tins and bucks.

#8 ·
I use the medium 2-row BW... ( I think they changed their label & name... same bag, new generic look) I like the bag, and was much cheaper than the rest... save $$$ where you can so you can splurge on other things.

*why the hell are aquaskins dry tops so damn fruity looking? the colors they pick look like youre training for the tour de France or like a teenager going boogie boarding.

#9 ·
My consolidation "Bag" is the entire back seat of a full size extended cab GMC pick-up, the over flow goes in the bed.
My carry bag is a USMC issue alice pack that holds 4 plano boxes.
To narrow down for off shore walks to barely visible reef tops, I use an old canvas Medic bag that holds 30 or so plugs nicely tangled by the hooks.

#12 ·
I bought Shimano bag to replace my old metal insert bags and the old army gas mask bags. I didn't care for Shimano and chucked it out for Aquaskinz bag. I wish they had put some holes in the bottom of the inserts. I picked up another one that had the holes on the bottom.

#19 ·
I've one of those old canvas bags that's about 20(?) yrs. old.
6 tube. Cut 2 out and added a plastic box for tins, leader, swivels.
It's a mess!
10 pounds of crap in a 2 pound bag! :smiliedoh:
Everytime I clean it out,,,, 95% is on the "must have" and goes back in.
Only thing left out are old leaders, rusty hooks, and spent tails.
Then it's well organized until first use. :whistle:

#14 ·
A guy named Jim Reid builder of those early khaki colored bags wasn't a fisherman but identified the need for a retail plug bag in the mid 60s and came up with a canvas bag with riveted sheet metal inserts and built them from his basement shop in East North-port Long Island. They sold for 15 bucks and were available until the late 70's before being discontinued.
Some are still around.

Paraphrased from and excerpt in a chapter of "The Hunt for big stripers" by Zeno Hromin
The importance of gear - by Jimmy D'Amico.

#16 ·
I have 2 different size Black canvas gun ammo bags I bought in the Sportsman Guide like 10 yrs ago for $ 10 bucks they've held up nicely,I went to Home Depot and bought central vacuum pipe they have a thinner wall than traditional PVC anyway used a chop saw so that there all the same length glued them together and nice custom plug bag for short $$

#17 ·
Being from the west coast, we use metal tins, And hairraisers ( bucktails with worm tails attached) Rubber baits , & wood plugs..Due to heavy surf & winds regulate our fishery,,I & most guys use Fanny packs with small compartments on each side for jigs & metal lures , & the rear Compartment for plugs & larger tools etc..I purchased at dollar stores canvas pencil holders which fit in binders..These are very durable & protect you from hooks..They hold about three plugs...This system worksfor us because of changing conditions or bait selections . Diehard plug guys use your traditional Pvc bags to store plugs.. Jim

#18 ·
when i (liked) to fish for bluefish i used that system jim.. (still have that laying around with steel in it) i upgraded it to a boat jig system as well. i now have a lightweight backpack with 2" plastic containers i have aquired along the way. were 2 bucks a piece but now are double that. these i can carry at least 20 6-8" lures around which are marked what they are. i rarely plug any more but, as you well know, when you get the fly bug nothing else really matters. the other bags i use when lazy and only wanna carry like 10 plugs and a few jigs and bucktails. and some tins. that old bag> i can't say how long i have had : but had to periodically epoxy the joints in the plastic holders as they cracked and split from tossing the bag around. (and jamming a few extra's in to make sure i had the good stuff with me.) i somehow ended up with 2 gunny4290 plugs at montauk last outing. that was strange but i am always happy to get gifts from friends and vise versa...

#21 ·
I like that idea Jim PVC downspout. It has more room in it then the 2" tubes most have. I like some others just threw something together, I have a zillion types of bags and enough tubes to extend to the moon. I have just come to realize that nothing is the right bag most of the time

#22 ·
it's funny, i have bags for montauk.
bags for here.
bags for the jersey beaches.
bags for when i am at the cape "which is rare but will have one anyway"
and all i ever do is bring 4 or 5 of the plugs i know to work in the condidtions i am fishing in. i hate lugging 15 plugs in a bag with me.
it's like walkin a friggen dog or some chit.
the day i don't bring it is the day i will need a bottle or a really deep diving needle or some chit that i didn't carry. i got a waist pack that holds 2 waters and leader/swivels/tins/and i got containers for my larger plugs i put in my waders. i need a mexican to carry the montauk plug bag as it's a cooler full of larger plugs. for night when i want behemoth plugs to fish with. i was out of breath today chasing down fish and i know i am out of shape as i coulda used my car to move down to where the were heading but opted the old fashioned way. bluefish took a hopkins away which was a heads up to what was a precursor of things to come.

#23 ·
If any of you guys that make your own bags need I have some clear plastic tubing. The tube I have right now is 1 1/4" but I'm going to pickup some 2" this week. I may even get some that is a bit wider. The tube I have is in 6" lengths but I can cut it down and is very similar to white PVC but it's clear. It's also about the same wall thickness as white PVC (schedule 40) and is not thin or brittle. Just thought I would post here, if you want just ask and I'll do what I can

#24 ·
i had a canon double row, and packed it. i hated lugging it around, expecially when all i ever really end up throwing is 4 or 5 diffent lures. sold it and bought a single row vs with aquaskinz tubes, i love the bag, nice and light no snags yet, very durable and its a good bang for the buck. it will last me a very long time... still working on getting some plugs out of it though.

#26 ·
I also now have the BW/Outdoors but the x-large and also have 2 smaller(but large size) no name bags. I also picked up some nylon bags(3 diff sizes) at Lowes that have loops. I use these to carry eels or tins, leader, snaps and such. I also have 2 diff pouches one from lowes-great for eels and a shimano one which also has a pliers loop/holder

#27 ·
the best eel carrier in the world is a plastic folgers coffee container strap it to your back with your surf belt and pack it with ice. El Guapo showed me that one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.