Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Wading Safely

Tags
safely wading
28K views 50 replies 28 participants last post by  zimno1 
#1 ·
Don't wade in the surf just because you have waders on. Fish in the area will most likely be spooked by your appearing as they hear very well and can pick you up within a long distance. First cast in the direction of the oncoming surf and let the fly or jig ride in the longshore current (more on this later). When wading, have respect for other anglers (not easy as some have no respect for you) as your presence can effect the fishing as it can disturb the surroundings by stirring up bottom/rocky areas are a crunching sound reverberating in water spooking fish and just plain inconsiderate overall. You should shuffle your feet and feel the floor of the area you are wading in as to keep from stepping in soft mud/drop-offs/tires/pilings/etc. Especially at night when you can;t see in water below you. Remember, if you hit a soft spot and lean your weight into your step you can't readily back off once you are committed. And this leads me to your wading belt. Probably the most important item you have. a strobe/.flare/all these items for added safety go out the window when you are in over your head and panic to stay afloat (will touch on this in a minute) You have a wading belt but it is around your waist correct? Well it should be higher around your chest area to let the least amount of water into them as possible should you go down, as you are in most cases always up to your chest in water at one point or another for any given outing (which is a bad idea but we are invincible remember?) phew! run on sentence! A belt up on your chest is goofy looking yes" but bear in mind when you venture out on your own you need every advantage for safety at your disposal. Many a life has been lost to vanity and ignorance. Can you say KORKERS? what>? no safety footwear? better get some!
Know the limits to fast water and turbulent surf. Once you are above the knees in water you run the risk of getting jammed up. You become more buoyant and have considerably less traction here. Keep your body sideways to the current or surf, you don't want the force of waves hitting you directly face forward and especially facing the beach with your back to the surf. There is a point where you will know your limits so adhere to your instincts and not at the prospect of an "oh so close body of fish". Lean into current or surf a bit as if you lose your balance the surf or current will push you upright instead of OFF YOUR FEET but this is a balance issue which will vary with each set of circumstance and individual height/weight/ and coordination factor. leaning forward into anything is just as bad if you are not in a good position to begin with.
as the day wears on you think you are ready for anything when truth be told your anything but. You could be more fatigued and are most suceptable(?) to accident or injury or both. Fighting current and surf all day can take it;s toll (especially on us older folks) yea, i am gettin there. Plan your routes to avoid obstacles that are here in this thread and be safe. Any areas that have less strenuous wading and footing can still be hazardous.
Practice swimming with your waders on in a pool (with a friend). If you ever get turned on your keester you will know that you are prepared for a self rescue. If you fall in or swept off your feet, turn on your back and make like a drift boat - your feet become the bow - your head the stern - your arms the oars. backstroke into the current and stroke towards shoreline in a straight line and wait till your close enough to try and stand. Get out of the cold water as soon as possible. It won't take long for hypothermia to set in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothermia
Remember, don;t lose or (almost lose) your life for your tackle!!! If your rod/reel should be separated from you in the event of a fall don't be foolish and try and retrieve it if it means a dunking as you could wind up a statistic. Be safe out there this season folks and a phenomenal season to you all, Zim

See less See more
#6 ·
Very timely info there zimster, I put the waders on for the first time this season just a couple of days ago. Like any other activity that has even a small element of danger, if something you're doing makes you feel uncomfortable in any way, there is probably a reason, take a moment and be sure that what you're doing is safe, and keep the "fun" in fishing.

#7 ·
great post zim. ide like to add...be especially carefull when you have been fishing for hours and are tired, but want to make just one more cast. the few scary moments ive had came when i was tired and not thinking clearly. if you need to take a nap.....DO IT!!! a little rest can save your life.

#12 ·
i touched on some of the finer things but will elaborate a little more, it is important to remember that if you fish where there are bluefish prevalent then you need to know that any carabiners/brass key snaps/a boga grip which is not secure out of the water and just dangling from your waist in the surf/or one of my favorites which is the handy piece of (WHITE) PVC pipe attached to your waders to hold the rod while you unhook a fish. the white may not attract a bluefish but may spook a fish if it is moving on top of the water., these things are a no no if you are wading as a bluefish will hit anything shinny in the water,. a knife by your side but prefferably at chest level as to be able to get at it when necessary, just a small reminder to those who would gear up with an array of extras (guilty as sin i am) over the years i have come to find the right accessory for each and every moment. velcro is your friend. be safe and don't be afraid to ask anything about what you are unsure of. i'd rather look like a goon asking advise than go out unwittingly unprepared for whatever it was i was unsure of. no heroes here, just kind friendly advise and help.

#15 ·
I think Zim s post should stay forever. I can remember getting dumped in the days when waders had separate suspenders. After being dumped --WITHOUT--a waist belt i was able to get up because the straps stretched allowing me to catch my breath. Today with the no stretch suspenders i don,t think i could stand up without a belt because the waders would fill like an umbrella being pulled backwards. I,m sorry i,m long winded but i don,t want anyone to croak

#16 ·
mine stretch. and i have xxl which is a size 14 (bootfoot as they can be taken off easily in event of injury or a dunking in way too deep of water and filling to rapidly) i take a size 12 but wool socks and sealskinz over the wool fit fine. if i have to get them off in a hurry for some godforsaken reason i have tested them in the water and my wader belt is quickly undone and i can slip out of them easily. i am tall so the xxl is not so droopy on me to cause my vanity to be overly impacted (may not be the right phrase i was looking for but you get my drift)

#17 ·
You have a wading belt but it is around your waist correct? Well it should be higher around your chest area to let the least amount of water into them as possible should you go down, as you are in most cases always up to your chest in water at one point or another for any given outing (which is a bad idea but we are invincible remember?) phew! run on sentence! A belt up on your chest is goofy looking yes" but bear in mind when you venture out on your own you need every advantage for safety at your disposal. Many a life has been lost to vanity and ignorance. Can you say KORKERS? what>? no safety footwear? better get some!

Know the limits to fast water and turbulent surf. Once you are above the knees in water you run the risk of getting jammed up. You become more buoyant and have considerably less traction here. Keep your body sideways to the current or surf, you don't want the force of waves hitting you directly face forward and especially facing the beach with your back to the surf. There is a point where you will know your limits so adhere to your instincts and not at the prospect of an "oh so close body of fish". Lean into current or surf a bit as if you lose your balance the surf or current will push you upright instead of OFF YOUR FEET but this is a balance issue which will vary with each set of circumstance and individual height/weight/ and coordination factor. leaning forward into anything is just as bad if you are not in a good position to begin with.
as the day wears on you think you are ready for anything when truth be told your anything but. You could be more fatigued and are most suceptable(?) to accident or injury or both. Fighting current and surf all day can take it;s toll (especially on us older folks) yea, i am gettin there. Plan your routes to avoid obstacles that are here in this thread and be safe. Any areas that have less strenuous wading and footing can still be hazardous.
thumbsup.gif These were the 2 best paragraphs. You really covered it all, great advice here. Some people think they know enough, and are too advanced to read this. That could put you in the cemetary. Hard to fight Mother Nature and win, the sea is is a jealous mistress.

Zim, ever think of breaking down the ramblings into smaller paragraphs? My eyes hurt! :bluegrin:

#20 ·
Definetly something I look forward to reminding myself every season. Thanks Zim....

#24 ·
food for thought as it is not out of the realm of possibility a shark can cruise the flats in search of forage. in this video it shows the man getting spooked and as he flinches, it is all the shark needed to know it was alive and a possible meal....
remember that even though we are not fishing in shark infested waters like the florida and south america/australia etc waters, the thing to know is that in murky muddy water - a shark has limited visibility so bumping into your legs and having this happen is not of high probability but, i forecast it happening at a flat i fish in the late summer months when the water is churning up murky at seguine point. seldom is the thought as we fish but as bluefish bump into my legs i cringe but know it is unlikely THEY will take a bite but knowing if a bigger fish hits my leg i won't move a muscle as it will poke at you like you will see here...

#29 ·
First I must say awesome post Zim!!!

I just want to know who did the edit on it? That is the first time I have seen Zim use capital letters. Just busting- :whistle:

Great words of wisdom though
i did spell check..... but it doesn't help me construct sentences and paragraphs as my limited education and overuse of drugs and alcohol over the years took it's toll bonehead.. the only time i use caps and try to make sense is writing something important or requesting someone on ebay take my check as to not look as dumb as i really am. so go fly a kite.. lol.
boy, i open cans every time i type..........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.