Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

whats the best time to catch stripers..

107K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  striperman kennebec river 
#1 ·
what do u guys think its the best time to catchstripers.morning/dusk/night?
and is morning a good time to catch stripers..

#4 ·
In a perfect world, I would get to fish at 4 times of the day, change of light in the morning, change of light in the evening, and around both high tides.....but that's just me.
And if a high tide coincides with dawn or dusk, that's OK with me too.
And if I can't get any of those, then I'll fish whenever the job/wife/kids let me :mad:

Ed

#5 ·
Were I Have Been Fishing In Cape May County New Jersey My Best Times Have Been Late Evening From High Tide Into About 2-3hrs Of The Out Going Tide. All Of The Trips I Have Had At This Time Which Is Hard To Do For The Tide To Be Right At The Right Time Of Day. I Have Been Fishing At My Favorite Inlet Sod Bank On The Bay Side Ofa Large Bridgeright Inside The Inlet. I Fish Right Were A Nice Wide Deep Creek Opens Up Into The Bay And The Baitfish Seem To Hold Up There Alot. I Have Had 6 Plus Fish Days With My Last Trip Last Week A 20+ Fish Day Will All But 2 Fish In The High 30" Range. I Have Tried Other Times Of Day And Different Tides But Only Had 1-2-bass If Even That. I Have Been Fishing Nothing But Fresh!!! Surf Clams On Owner 7/0 Circle Hooks On A Fish Finder Rig. I Have Been Doing Alittle Jetty Fishing Floating Blood Worms Around The Jettys With Nothing But Shorts. I'm Looking For The 50#er So I Think I Will Stick With What Has Been Working To Catch The Large Bass That I Have Been So Far. You Will Get Alot Of Different Input But Alot Of It Is Putting In The Time At A Few Different Spots At Diff. Tides And When You Start To Catch Some Bass Stick With That Spot For Awhile Unless It Isn't Productive Anymore. Good Luck. For Me At Has To Be When I Can Fit It In Around All Of The Other Things That Need To Be Done.

#7 ·
Each spot is different, and tide plays a huge role - but - big stripers will come very close to shore at night using the cover of darkness for their hunting.

Low light is great for stuff like poppers.

You can catch stripers at any time of day, but from shore your chances of catching a really big fish, 20#+, are better.

#8 ·
letsgofishin said:
what do u guys think its the best time to catchstripers.morning/dusk/night?
and is morning a good time to catch stripers..
I like a tide to be high about an hour before dusk and fish the remaining tide till it low.I believe some tides are better than others along with weather and that good ol MOON.Any time and tide is a good time to fish because you never know when that big fella is up for a snack,so it's best to be there.I fish as much as possible and whatever tide is happening.Fish lots!!!Good Luck!!

#15 ·
My favorite time to fish is right after work... it has just gotten dark, you are all stressed out from the absolute idiotic behavior of people at work, and you have just slammed down a red bull, thrown your rod of choice in the car, sped down the road, and jumped out to tie on. You cast a 2 oz swimmer 80 or so yards out, and begin reeling in slowly... and WHAM... your drag starts spinning, and you can't beleive the tug of war that ensues... what comes next is a dance we all do in the moonlight and tranquil solitude that we call "fishing." Although fishing is more to us that we even know. It is the way we express... exude... our inate instincts to seperate ourselves from our peirs and hunt. Men were supposed to hunt, to dominate his prey, to get away from domestic life to live... truely live. I beleive our minds-body-and soul experience a prehistoric rush of euphoria as we subconciously experience the act repeated trillions of times by our ancestors before us as we predate... having the utmost respect for the predators that we prey upon. CATCH AND RELEASE... BRING A CAMERA... TAKE THAT PICTURE... let the monster fish go back to the dark water (unless of course you are starving and can't afford food). usa2.gif

#24 ·
I know this is old, but just came cross and had to comment. Great post. I wish my wife could understand this. Fishing is so much more to me than a hobby or recreation. It's an impulse, a desired, a must do. Again, great post. Those are the words of a true fisherman.

#16 ·
Since this is the Surf Fishing part of the forum, I'll assume we're talking from the beach in the surf.
In order of my personal preferances;
1st - 11:00 pm to 2:00 am
2nd - 1:00 am to 5:00 am
3rd - 2 hrs. before sunrise to about an hour after
4th - sunset
5th - daytime
A lot of this has to do with the enviroment too. Like fishing the beach on a Sunday during the day in the summer is next to rediculouse with the swimmers and all, plus googans, boaters, etc. enter into the equasion.

That's very general. tide, wind, moon phase, presure systems and of course the where has a awful lot of influence. And of course, none of this is cast in stone.:wink1:

#17 ·
This time of year depending on weather(sunny,cloudy etc) the majority of my quality fish come between 4-8 am and 4-10 pm.I fish plugs 99% of the time,and my fall favorite has been and continues to be the pikie in either blurple or yellow.My timetable for early spring is pretty much the same with the only difference being lure size/selection.As for summer,i don't sleep 'till the sun comes up.:confused2:

Attachments

#18 ·
My fav time is after work.. I was on call this weekend, and tonight after my last shift, I hurried to the beach at about 8:30 pm, almost bottom of the outgoing... wind BLOWING hard right into my face... took a few casts diagonal to the wind... nothing... couldnt even feel the line too much slack from wind blowing. I cast one directly into the wind... 30 or so yards out... half way in WHAM..... I beached a healthy 15 pounder. My favorite time to fish is every day man.... I love it.. the stripers are back... its going to be a good late season this year... I think they have just started comming into the north shore of Long Island... I will fish every day now until I get that 35 pounder I am dreaming of this year!:sydan:

#19 ·
Nice. That wind was honkin this afternoon Tiger.
No Giant game, I wasn't gonna suffer through the Jet game so it was off to do some cow stalking. I was fishing west of you towards the city. Probably 100 miles or so west. Still catchin schoolies, snappers and sea robbins. At least I finally saw a striper.

"the best time to catch a striper"
I'd say anytime. I prefer night all night, right before dawn, overcast days and a rough surf with a nice breeze in my face.
Its funny reading the title, you could always just go take a leak. If your bait fishin, its a certainty that your rod will bend. :wink1:

TG Nice web site btw.

#21 ·
I caught my personal best (20#) at night on an outgoing tide. I've logged most trips, and found that the outgoing tide has produced the best for me this year. I don't get out all that much.. but all but a couple trips have produced fish on the outgoing tide at night. I haven't seen a single "legal" fish on an incoming tide yet.

It is my first season, but so far: Outgoing. Night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.