Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Reading the Beach and Structure

68K views 58 replies 27 participants last post by  0sja6nl5 
#1 ·
Most resort beaches have tons of sand pumped into them. These beaches become very broad and gently slope out to sea. There is not much structure here and fish may be scattered. However a beach not visited for bathing has some key differences. Visit the beach at low tide and look for sand bars and sloughs. When the tide comes in the waves may crash further out sometimes building swells. This is where the wave strikes the bar. After that, they suddenly slump down and get shorter as they move over the slough, a deeper portion of the beach's structure. You want to be able to cast into the other side of the slough or cut out behind the sand bar. Look for cut outs and fishing the downcurrent side of any cusp will put you on the fish. Big fish are lazy (smart) and will wait at the openings for the bait fish to be flushed through. Always visit at low tide. Learn to read the beach and you'll start catching more fish from the surf.

Attachments

See less See more
#59 ·
I wanted versatile reels that I could fish lures with but also use live bait if need be. I ended up going with the Shimano Baitrunner 6500. I've loved them so far. But again you should seek advice and see what is best for you. Reels will also be rated for how many lines they can hold depending on the type and weight of line you want the freeze ice box UAE. I have some bait runners that match up well with it, for chunking and natural bait. I want to buy a spinning rod for it to plug with or to use with buck tails. I like the quantum spinning cabo's and bocas, but how heavy should I go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.