Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

newbie to the surf-need rod

7K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  JakeF 
#1 ·
I usually fish from boat but want to mix it up. Just got a deal on a penn conquest 7000 and need to pair up with a general purpose surf rod. Plan to throw plugs and occasional chunk. Don't want to spend much. Just plan to use on vacations to Maine and Nantucket. Thx in advance.

#2 ·
Hey Eddie,
Welcome aboard! Generally, if you're going to fish with both lures and bait you'll need 2 different rods, one rated for the weight range of the lures you'll be fishing with and the other rated for the combined weight of your sinker & bait chunk. The difference in the casted weight of the two fishing techniques is quite large and you'll be hard pressed to find a single rod that will do both things well. A rod that is well suited to casting lures won't have the backbone needed for casting a sinker & bait chunk. A rod that is stout enough to handle casting chunks well is going to be crappy at casting lightweight lures.

For most beginners, a medium to medium/heavy rod in the 9 to 10 foot range with the appropriate weight rating for what you'll be casting will do well for you. I like a rod rated at 1-3 oz for plugs and a 3-6 oz rating for chunking.

Take a look at Tsunami rods. They're pretty decent for the price...

#3 ·
Hey Jake
Thanks for the response. I ended up getting a st Croix 9' triumph fast tip
1/2 to 2 1/2 to use with plugs. Went to Nantucket for weekend to try out. Windy conditions hampered plugging but the metal was flying. Blues were hitting hard on the metal. Kennebunkport this week end. Want to toss plugs. I 've got mostly large light weight Gibbs and rapala lipped plugs for boat trolling. Any suggest on plugs to throw with weight to them.?
Thanks in advance. Tight lines!

#4 ·
For top water daytime fishing, pencil poppers or bottle plugs in the 2 to 2.5oz range cut through wind really well and should fly off that rod. One of my go-to plugs for a windy outing, especially if I'm fishing where there is a good cross current, is a 2.5 to 3oz darter. I love big darters and bottle darters on windy days. Look up Northbar Tackle for some quality bottle darters... they swim great even in light current and cast like a bullet.

http://www.saltwateredge.com/northbar-tackle-fishing-lures.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.