Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2018 STRIPER REPORTs

129K views 303 replies 66 participants last post by  Doc Z 
#1 ·
** SHOW EM' IF YA GOT EM' **

Post any 2018 Striper Reports and photos here. Hope to see a bunch of HAWGS.
Feel free to include county or general area, No need to give up specific spots or honey holes.

Please try and limit it to just reports & congrats.

Thanks and good luck all !

#248 ·
We fished Newburgh down th Bannerman's Island today and ended up with 13. Most were caught on the west shore opposite the yacht club. The bite was very aggressive with some fish breaching during the fight. There was lots of spawning just south of the island and tons of fish on the channel floor. Slack tide to incoming produced the best bite. Water temp was 65 all day.

#250 ·
Fished this season from the shore. Spent my time between Croton and Cold Spring and had great success. Definitely my best year on the river since moving up from Long Island. All fish caught perfectly in lip and released without any problems. Here are a couple of pics from this past week including today.

Attachments

#251 ·
Fished for 3rd time this season in Newburgh Bay, i got nothing from 8am to 1pm, boat mate caught 1 small 1, about 9:30 off Dennings Point, on East side of Channel. Caught about 15 total for season, we marked some fish yesterday but nothing like the previous weekend. Is the technique the same in other parts of the river? In the Bay i fish in about 40 feet of water with bait down 12-20 feet depending. Have not spent much time N or S of Newburgh. Thanks for all the posts, its great to see sport fisherpersons enjoying our natural resources. Boy from them pictures it looks like it has rained every darn weekend i could go out! Oh well.

Attachments

#252 ·
Fell asleep last night and forgot to make my post.....Fishing was tough as we are in between the exiting waves. The am bite on the Cornwall West Wall was great until 9am.....we grabbed 4 quick fighters from 30-35"....and then the bite died for a bit as the fish receded back to the channel floor. Another wave of small fish moved onto the West shore at the tanks and we picked at them..........although they were great bait steelers. We got 5 more then moved up to the Power Plant where now there was a steady line of fish and got another (it was a desert there when I drove by at 6am).........although my buddies picked away at several 28" fish there and the marks down low were huge. This time of year the fish lay on the channel floor as they are traveling and only come up to feed at specific times. Recently it has been the end of Ebb into Slack tide with the bite tapering off during Flood. We ended up with 10 for the day. Water temps were a bit cooler than the day before at 64.8.

#253 ·
You are a true inspiration to keep going Doc!:adore: Its getting tougher for us "pedal" powered hunters to get over fish. If they aren't in an area for us we can only travel so far to find more! Hopefully we get a few more before they make a full exit. tight lines out there guys!

#257 ·
Put another day in and I went solo for most of the day. Ran down last night to fix the thermostat cover and change the plugs. While i was working on the boat from 2-4 am they were spawning all around my marina. Got out at 5am and picked up a few immediately then ran down to Cornwall and picked up 2 more. I settled in front of my marina (West Shore) for the last few hours and picked away at em. I ended up with 8 for the day which would have been more but I lost several trying to reach for the net....got smart and put it in reaching distance afterwards. Size today was 15-30". All along the west shore into the channel the floor was thick with Striper but the deeper ones had no interest in eating. I picked a spot and literally stayed there for 4 hours as the wind countered the ebb tide. Water temp was 67.3. No doubt they are heading out fast but there are plenty up north that have to come down through Marlboro and Newburgh. Working tomorrow then out again Fri to Sun.............then the depressing part..........pull the boat.

#258 ·
You've had an awesome season tho Doc...Along with the rest of the crew in the area. There's always next year or following them out to the ocean! Good luck out there this weekend. I'll most likely make my last stand by IBM Sat depending on weather. Need one last fish to close the season. Good luck out there fellow anglers!:icon_thumright:

#260 ·
Fished out of Newburgh this afternoon from 3:00 until 6:30 on my friend's boat. We were using some of the best bloodworms I've seen in a while. We ended up with about three to four bites and no fish for the entire afternoon. We fished down around Bannerman, and then north of the Newburgh/Beacon Bridge (Hamilton Fish Bridge), and while we marked tons of fish from 9 feet down to 30 feet, none of them wanted an easy worm dinner.
I don't think the season is over, but fishing on the Hudson is over for me this year. Thanks for all the great reports this year. Best wishes to you all.

#262 ·
Today was a tough day....marked lots of fish from Marlboro to Cornwall on the west side but only ended up with 2....a 14" bait steeler across from Trap Rock and. 28" screamer down in Cornwall. Around 5pm before I had to dock to run back up to Albany to grab my buddy bigger fish began to move in as well as a thick school that made my depth finder read 30' in 70 fow. My other buddy in the Lighthouse express stayed out and saw massive spawning at the power plant, east side. Mr. Buoy also witnessed spawning down in Cornwall. The fish from up north are moving in so this was just a short lull and its not over yet. Waiting for these thunder storms to blow over and we will be back out to target these guys as they will certainly feed after spawning for their trip south.

#264 ·
Another tough day......marked fish but no hookuos for us. My buddy next to us got a quick 34 and 39" first thing in the morning when it was calm. Then the wind kicked up and when the tide switched it was miserable. We tried to find some calm areas to fish but they still wouldnt bite......they just dont feed when its windy. We will be back out in a few hours for the morning when its calm then pulling the boat to get ready for salt. There are still plenty of fish to come down and if you park yourself in the right area you will be rewarded.

#265 ·
Hey Doc, just saw your photo and write up in the "On The Water" fishing reports for The Striper Cup, Angler of the Year !! and on Instagram , Yeww !! Way to go Doc , Yer Killin it !!!

#267 ·
Well.....we tried to get em yesterday but despite there being good steady marks they just would not bite. We fished from Milton to Newburgh bay and they wanted nothing to do with blood worms. I think the stripers that chase the herring north have their mindset on feeding on herring alone and really have no interest in bloodworms......this would explain it. Next year I'm gonna try herring late season when this happens. Water temp yesterday was 68.

We had a successful season breaking our last year's record of 509 with a total this year of 761. We also caught much bigger fish this year....many in the 35-39 inch range but only one over 40". We also had the opportunity to bring many new people fishing and have them experience this run. I thank everyone that helped us be so successful this season...Ceely's Bait for keeping us supplied and our network on the water which helps us cover a lot of ground......Keeping it Reel Sport Fishing, Mr. Buoy, Wingnut, POW, Lighthouse Express, Iceman, Paddycakes, New Hamburg Donny and Craig.... I hope I got everyone.

I've learned quite a bit too about how these guys act and this year showed how water temps truly drive the run. What started out as a cold year with the water temps 7 degrees below normal slowed the runs arrival..............somehow May ended up being one of the warmest on record (don't know how because I froze my ass off more times than not) ended up with temps about 4 degrees higher. The river warmed up pretty quickly and sparked the spawning but the quick warm up also pushed them back out......they obviously do not like the warm water temps/rapid increase and tend not to hang around like they did last year with a slower change.

Now it's time to switch to the big boys in the Salt..........the Hudson boat is pulled and we are scrambling to get the motors done on the Salt boat. I will continue to post pics of our progress for Knot on Call Fishing.

#272 ·
Finally got out to Salt this weekend and managed 5 early season monsters at Block........including a 50 incher.

Attachments

#275 ·
Doc or anyone else that fishes the block island area, can anyone shed an light on some advice for someone who has never been there, looking to fish the block for the first time. Wouldn't mind booking a trip there this summer and fishing during the night a couple trips..
The Southwest ledge is the place to be....literally a few miles southwest of block island. Do not go there without a good boat and proper electronics because just like that it can go from 2 foot to 10 foot seas.......the Marine Forecast is NEVER right. If you want a good charter for bass there check out the Bacon Brothers @ BiggamefishingRI.com and tell them I sent you.

Attachments

#277 ·
We had a successful trip with the legend Capt Bruce Millar of the Otter tales. We trolled for bass and ended up with 5 from 37-46 inches.

Attachments

#280 ·
This past weekend was good although there was a limited time where the drift was decent. Plenty of big fish moved in and they were hungry. We ended up with 12 Striper from 40-50 inches and my buddy got a whopper 60lb 53 inch fish of a life time. We are going back tomorrow to fish for 5 straight days.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.