why....... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Plugs and Plug Building This is our lure and plug building forum.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:42 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default why.......

i have been thinking a lot lately..the anticipation of searching for that monster cow has got my head spinning in circles...i have fallen in love with plug building eversince i started reading this forum...i have always been artistic..im a guitar player..played in a very well paid cover band for ten years...hard rock/heavy metal,,,as well as a short string of dancable "chick" songs..our band was very versatile. i have also won awards for various drawings and projects while in high school...wood shop, graphic arts, art, hands on stuff...including a first prize pen and ink drawing at the boston globe show held annually for participating high school students...the boston art museum held the display. i am not typing this to brag..im trying to explain..i have a real pasion for art....plug making is just that to me. i am an "all or nothing" type of person, when something interests me i have to learn the ins and outs and i strive to be an expert..but i know i am far from it. i have made a lot of plugs this past winter..no duplictor, very little notes, a few jigs...i tried to make a home made duplicator but it was too much of a pain in the nuts so i said screw it, ill make em all freehand. anyway, i have given away a crapload to friends and people i have never met..from this web site. everyone i have sent a plug to was for a reason..each one different...roc....you taught me the most...i send some to you to so you can see my progress...and your opinion is most important to me... you tell me what you think....others i send you are for other reasons...suds..i send plugs to you to review as well...you have always been straight too, i also look to earn a spot in your plug bag ,when its time i know you will earn a spot in mine....ed white, you have that talent too..ive seen it..i enjoy reading your posts and i want to earn a spot in your bag as well..i know someday you will return the favor...dont worry, youll get a lathe. baitrunner, i also enjoy your posts...thats whty i was helpful about the problem with your truck..the hats are friggin awesome too..the three you got were for the hats...zim, i know your friends with every one else who got some first...i always had you in mind..cause i love your avatar..better when you had it on rotation though..variety of hot chicks..or the same one for six months...duh. seriously, you are a witty smartass..like me, although im usually mis understood, you get me rolling sometimes, it wasnt fair your friends got some and you didnt. jigman...you know why.....ill se how i do this weekend. floatsum, i saw you as having a real interest, and figured you had talent as well but was stuck in a little rut..maybe overthinking..like me sometimes..especially real early on..still do a lot, anyway..i called it..i love the way you finished em off...now go get that cow bass and get building..mvelloo16 and all about fishing...i had early on decided the first coupple people i saw who asked for one got one..your the lucky winners. sadlsorz..you know what you did, your a kind soul. someone else has a kind soul...i didnt forget you..your gift is to come...lets see..i may have forgotten a few...i dunno...anyway, the plugs to me are art...consider them paintings that may catch a fish...as i hope they do. it is an investment for equipment and supplies to create them, i will be honest i will sell hopefully enough to cover most or all the cost..but i cant through this website so please no pms, thats my decision for my own reasons. i hope this thread will spark replies from other builders why they build and what this form of art is to them...oh jim did i forget you?..if it wasnt for this website ide be suckin pond water, frustrated and un motivated to use what talent i have...plus the hottie threads are worth something...you started em.... its that smart ass stuff you are a master of...you make me laugh my ass off...a lot. i consider this place and people family...ok enough of the mushy stuff...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2007, 06:40 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Default Re: why.......

Jimmi, are you left handed?
Old 05-24-2007, 07:35 AM
Pro Staff

Nice post Jimi,
Sounds like you and I are very much alike. I didn't know you were a guitarist, just another thing we have in common Thanks again for your help with my truck and for the plugs, they are truely beauties. It's been great to get to know you a little. Hopefully we can log some fishing time together this season
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2007, 07:56 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

guitarist?
Maybe we should have a "get-together?"
If anyone is into Fusion, I'll bring my 5 string fretless.
Whaaaarrrrr,,,
Old 05-24-2007, 07:58 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

both, left and right handed..mostly righty..but i fish lefty, swing a bat lefty, use a lefty hockey stick...weird, huh. heay floatsum..my favorite fusion stuff is tribal tech..gambale is insane...
Old 05-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

happy031.gif
Old 05-24-2007, 10:17 AM
First Mate

What am I wood! you mentioned everyone else! just kidding. I don't know you at all but I figured I would just jump right in. lol. I do play the guitar though...
Old 05-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Veteran Elite

Ok Here is my story. I am a woodshop teacher who enjoys a challenge. I dabble in woodturning from time to time and wanted to try someting new. I have quickly found out that lure building is more difficult than it looks. but i love it and look forward to it every day. i have only been striper fishing for about three years but have freshwater fished my whole life. I build my own freshwater lures (spinners/flies) and fishing rods, the natural progression was to become addidcted to plug building. I just put the sealer on my first batch of plugs tonight sad to say I messed up more than i sealed but on the bright side they floated great in the sealer. I just have to remember rome wasnt built in a day and all you kick ass plug builders had to put your time in and take you lumps just like me. so to all keep them coming and good luck fishing. someone else said there is nothing like catching a fish on a lure you made. I whole heartedly agree. I will post pics as soon as I finish and figure out how to use the almost wifes camera.
Thanks again for all of your help and I look forward to many other posts and days on the water.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:54 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i have to make a little correction, the original hottie thread was started by someone else...whom i consider a friend..but jim, you did start the asian hotties and you definetley keep the bar high
Old 05-25-2007, 08:28 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Jimi.. Dude, you need to go fishing.... way to much time thinking idle thoughts.

For me, it is, and always has been about the "fish" Morone saxatillis (formaly Roccus saxatillis)

When I quit largemouth bass fishing and started pursueing old linesides in 1972, my life changed forever.... it's always been about the fish..... I studied day and knight, their habits, their likes and dislikes and what made them tick, there was no internet, no "how to's" to guide me only books and the good old school of hard knocks.

By the early 80's I had learned many tactics, including the use of plugs, both from the surf and from the boat, in the boat, the employment of wire line to deliver the plugs to the strike zone was a valuble tool, the problem was procurment of the plugs, haveing a family ( 4 children) made money tight, so I dabbled in making my own plugs to help cut the cost.....eventualy, some of the store bought plugs were no longer made and the only way to fish them was to pay whatever the dealer might be asking or make my own... I've been a craftsman all my life, from the time I was a little boy ( I whittled my first plug for largies when I was about 9, painted it with paint from the barn and caught fish to boot)so the choice was obvious.

But like everything else bass related, plugs had their own history,so my study of the makers of these began( and continues to this day) It's only right to pay hommage to the dedicated men who with their non stop thinking and tinkering paved the way for everyone like myself to fill a nitch in their fishing ( so it's back to being about the fish again) so I myself began to adapt their proven plugs to my needs, and then developed my own for my specific need, I studied and noted how grain affects the wood and the way it floats, I studied weighting, I tried different hook placements, all geared towards what suited me and caught the most fish.I studied bait fish, how they reacted, both day and at night, in rips, and in quiet back waters, I incorperated all I learned into my plugs to achieve the action I desierd for a specific purpose.

A few years ago, when the alarm went up on the future of the american eel was in doubt, I developed my own eel plugs to cut back on the use of live eels( feeling that the day will come that they will be off limits), on those nights when the fishing was good, I stopped using eels altogether and switched to my eel plugs, I've now got them to the point that I can search with confidence for fish, if I dont get one on that plug, they are not there.

Plug building does something else,each winter, as I wile away the hours in my shop,sanding and shaping each plug, it once again connects me to the bass.... the only thing outside of my family and friends that I truely care about.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:45 AM
Veteran Striper Chaser

Thanks Roccus--great read
Old 05-25-2007, 08:51 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus View Post
Jimi.. Dude, you need to go fishing.... way to much time thinking idle thoughts.

Plug building does something else,each winter, as I wile away the hours in my shop,sanding and shaping each plug, it once again connects me to the bass.... the only thing outside of my family and friends that I truely care about.

well said roc...yup, i do need to go fishing...bad..i start tonight...and when im building, im thinking of the bass too...but i need to learn soooooooo much more and put in some more years before i can honestly say i am connected with the bass...when i start catching better quality bass on a more consistent basis ill know then its time to start adapting my building to my fishing...thats something i hope to grow into..you put in your time and its paid off and continues to...i know my cow will come...but i gotta learn more and grow as a fisherman...im definetly gonna bust my ass this year searchin..some all nighters planned this weekend...next weekend the kids and i head to salisbury for some daytime schoolies...maggie's gonna get to see a striped one in person..i can hardly wait for that..i got her little zebco all spooled up.