Roc - need some advice on a home made power rod lathe - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 09-16-2006, 10:16 PM

Default Roc - need some advice on a home made power rod lathe

Here's where I'm at: Got the base (Unistrut) and the rod holders (2) figured out and built (Used Roller blade wheels). I've also figured out the spool carriage, rod tip holder and tool brace but I haven't assembled them yet.
I'm not looking for pretty (obviously - see pic) - just functional

I still need to figure out and assemble the motor system and the collet to hold the rod - that's where I'm still a bit stuck.
Here's what I have to work with:
Sewing machine motor with pulley and pedal attached, main pulley assembly on a ball bearing, a plastic tensioner pulley and a drive belt.

There's enough room on the end of the bolt of the main pulley assembly to hold a PVC cap using either rubber bands or bolts to hold the rod - I'm not sure what the pros and cons of each method are.

The big question is am I going about this the right way and how do I put all this together - in particular how to attach the main pulley assembly to whatever I use as a base ????? That's where some pictures of someone else's work might help me figure this out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006, 12:13 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I use an electric variable speed drill with a foot pedal, I use my "collet" from a rod dryer,it works the nuts!