how do you keep your herring alive at home - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-27-2015, 09:53 PM
Striper Hunter

Default how do you keep your herring alive at home

Someone on here posted years ago in another section that they cut a 55 gal drum not quite in half.. That was what I was thinking of doing before I read that post, but now it seems logical .. I see people use bilge pumps and rig up their own filter in the lines using air filter material.. Which probably works. My idea is to find a high powered aquarium/pond filter and depending whether or not it creates enough bubbles/ circulation I may add an aerator if the filter doesn't already have one...was planning on trial and error but if anybody has their own setup that works please share ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2015, 11:32 PM
Striper Hunter

Anyone have a used bait tank they are thinking about selling? out of perhaps a 55 gallon drum ?? Shoot me a price anyone think they can build one? Shoot me a price
Old 03-28-2015, 03:09 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: how do you keep your herring alive at home

I was looking for the same thing I have fishing buddies that have tanks I just never got around to one for myself but this year changed. I always seem to miss ppl selling 55 gal drums or giving them away so I put a bait tank together. Walmart has 32 gal garbage buckets for $9 comes with a lid. Amazon has 12 volt bubblers good for 30-40 gallons for $33 im sure you can find at other stores for around the same price(this has mounting brackets stone weights and tubing and terminal connectors). And a 12 volt lawn mower battery $20 at walmart or you may have one laying around. Either use the lid it comes with or cut a round piece of ply for the top and put a hinged lid. I use to use a square tote but found they bump into the sides and get red nosed and get stuck in the corners. so for about 60 bucks you can make one. Don't see why the setup wouldn't work only down side I can see is the 55 gal drum alittle more stable sitting in the back of a pick up where with mine ill have to bungee or strap it in.

Last edited by burgerman86; 03-28-2015 at 03:11 AM. Reason: add words
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015, 07:47 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerman86 View Post
I was looking for the same thing I have fishing buddies that have tanks I just never got around to one for myself but this year changed. I always seem to miss ppl selling 55 gal drums or giving them away so I put a bait tank together. Walmart has 32 gal garbage buckets for $9 comes with a lid. Amazon has 12 volt bubblers good for 30-40 gallons for $33 im sure you can find at other stores for around the same price(this has mounting brackets stone weights and tubing and terminal connectors). And a 12 volt lawn mower battery $20 at walmart or you may have one laying around. Either use the lid it comes with or cut a round piece of ply for the top and put a hinged lid. I use to use a square tote but found they bump into the sides and get red nosed and get stuck in the corners. so for about 60 bucks you can make one. Don't see why the setup wouldn't work only down side I can see is the 55 gal drum alittle more stable sitting in the back of a pick up where with mine ill have to bungee or strap it in.

This ^ will work..
My brother-in-law uses a garbage pail , aerator , spray bar pvc..
The MAIN thing however is that he has an over flow hole and puts a hose in the top just slightly cracked open to keep fresh water coming in..
It must be GOOD well water and not treated chlorinated city or town water..
You HAVE to have continuous FRESH water coming in or they will die..
Old 03-28-2015, 08:47 AM
First Mate

"Keep alive" oxygen aerators,1/2 55 gal plastic drum,battery and charger,well water.these aerators are unreal with bubbles
Old 03-28-2015, 10:54 AM
First Mate

Using just the aerator will NOT keep herring alive for very long. You will need a constant input of fresh water.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:17 PM
Striper Hunter

What if you use a submersible pump that feeds water through a pond type filter along with aerator, that creates a whirlpooI effect in the drum. I figured if you are constantly cycling the water at 500 g/hr through the homemade filter (including multiple filters for waste and ammo-carb pellets to clean ammonia) along with supplying aeration It would be sustainable.. I watched lots of videos this seems to be the most logical and pretty simple to make

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dyEr-2vpGd8

I don't think I will cut the drum though probably fill it with about 40 gallons

Last edited by jab420; 03-28-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Striper Hunter

Fish waste and ammonia will build up in a closed system. This is why you need a fresh intake system for herring.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:42 PM
Striper Hunter

My use is more of a overnight and while im down fishing for a day. A closed system for just an overnight or day of fishing will work done it plenty of times the big thing is keeping water cool during late season. With a open system how long are you guys keeping herring alive for never really tried more than a night?
Old 03-29-2015, 02:32 AM
Striper Hunter

Build a bait box or a barrel in a nearby stream. Have done this for ice fishing bait too but a smaller box.

Don't forget a cover or the raccoons will be well fed.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:51 AM
First Mate

I use a 55g drum that I cut the top 1/3 off and built a lid with a hinge. One of these http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/prod...uctId=12152941 keeps 10 alive overnight which is all I need.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:18 PM
First Mate

I keep 10 herring alive 24 hours in my car. Never tried keeping them longer than that. Very similar to burgerman86's setup. Just a blue ROUND tote with lid, pump with spray bar pointed down to create tons of surface turbulance. And the key is go to an aquarium supply store and buy ammo lock. It's a liquid and will absorb ammonia. Of course having a constant flow of fresh water would be ideal, but if you want to keep them overnight in the car or outdoors that should do. Also it's not good to keep them in a hot car but 20 gallons of water is heavy so I keep it in my car, so I usually put some ice in there if it's warm out.