Albany Corning Preserve Launch Disaster in the Making - Page 7 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Albany Corning Preserve Launch Disaster in the Making

Forgot to tell you that I also talked to a fisherman coming off the water and he said no herring or stripers yet. From henry Hudson to troy dam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Official Member

Went down and launched today, no problems but only a few boaters there.

My best guess is what is done is done for this year for the most part. But a good traffic cop and opening up the gates in the fence so people can pull out with a 90 degree turn instead of a 180 would go a long way to relieve the tension. No body is going to steal a 30 foot scull, the fences don't have to be locked. In fact, I will camp out down for the next month to make sure. Port a potties are on site. Occupy the Corning Launch! With fishing poles! Mount down riggers on those sculls, with a designated fisherman on board! Think outside the box people!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:09 AM
Tyee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
the rowing program does a lot of good for many area children and there are actually a fair number of adults involved too so to say they bring nothing but headaches is ridiculous ..... the people involved in that sport are just as passionate about rowing as the fisherman are about fishing

there is construction going on and that is going to impact the area no matter what anyone wants

sounds to me like there was an attempt made to keep everyone happy ..... and maybe that needs to be tweaked or adjusted with input from both sides .... and maybe something could be done to make it acceptable for both sides

i can't really imagine the national media is too interested
I know the rowing program does alot of good,and communities need programs like that,but what if the shou was on the other foot,what if the lot was fenced off for boaters and the rowers had no room,would everyone just say eh,guess that's how it's gonna be,doubt it.I bet my last bag of frozen herring that the media would be involved then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 07:12 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkster View Post
I know the rowing program does alot of good,and communities need programs like that,but what if the shou was on the other foot,what if the lot was fenced off for boaters and the rowers had no room,would everyone just say eh,guess that's how it's gonna be,doubt it.I bet my last bag of frozen herring that the media would be involved then
my point was the authorities involved tried to appease both sides

there is no way to make everyone happy

i avoid the corning preserve like the plague during striper season
Old 04-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Tyee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
my point was the authorities involved tried to appease both sides

there is no way to make everyone happy

i avoid the corning preserve like the plague during striper season
10/4,I just launch there and keep boat at forever young,but I remember how hard it was to get a parking spot when the run is going strong before the fences.henry Hudson is gonna look like country fest this year.YeeeeeHaaaaaa!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Striper Hunter

AAA
Old 04-18-2013, 08:51 AM
Striper Hunter

Avoid buying gas for your truck and boat in Albany. Also avoid getting lunches and provisions for out on the water in Albany. Last year I fought with the city of Troy to fix one of their launches and i explained that the Striper season has potential to help the economy with gas fill ups, beer buying, and food buying due to having fisherman travel here. They fixed the ramp so it was usable.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Striper Hunter

the part about not being able to stack the skulls up 90 deg to how they have them now I am very confident is BULLSHIT. But my Stanly FatMax 30' tape this afternoon will prove that. I assume that the debris they are worried about, is coming off the top of the bridge and will fall over the side, so as long as everything is directly under the overpass its "covered".

And the part about "taking up the least amount of space is also bullshit, which is exactly why I posted what I did yesterday and will go back today and prove my assumptions. they have them staggered 3 deep, as in nose to tail inside the space.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyStateWorker View Post
I assume that the debris they are worried about, is coming off the top of the bridge and will fall over the side, so as long as everything is directly under the overpass its "covered".
Info from a chat with the contractor for the bridge work: There is open space between the northbound and southbound lanes. During construction, debris does fall through this space. Last year while work was done on the northbound side, there were a few incidents where 100+ lb. chunks of concrete & rebar dropped through the middle. As work is now being done southbound, they told the rowing club that all equipment (and people handling the equipment) be kept well clear of that zone for safety reasons. Result: all storage (previously on that southbound side, behind the boat shed) had to be moved under the northbound lane. If rotated 90 degrees, the longer rowing boats would cross the center line, risking damage, risking the safety of people handling them, and impeding construction.

I find that asking people who are directly involved for the information is always easier than making blind assumptions. For all of the posts about calling the mayor, calling DOT, calling the media... there were a whopping zero posts about contacting DA Collins or the rowing club (until aj454 posted about speaking with some guys down there yesterday).
Old 04-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Striper Hunter

I no longer have any respect for the rowers. Yesterday I was anchored about 20ft from shore and those mother f-ers went between
Me and the shore, while the instructor came in head on with my boat until he reached our lines and said"I'm not on your lines, am I?" I almost blew my gasket. I use to no wake when I came across rowers, but now it's game on! I hope the bridge falls down on all their lame boats!!!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Official Member

As strange as its gonna sound I was actually struck by a scull last year that even had a spotting boat. I was anchored with lines out and they struck my boat with three paddles. I flagged over the spotting boat and obviously vented my fustration. I took all his reg numbers as well and name and number and called the NYSP to advise them even though no damage was done. The officer that called me back stated this was not his first complaint of the year about sculls hitting anchored boats on the river. The trooper stated he was going to call and follow up with the rowing team and spotter. I have assisted solo rowers getting there boats in and out and they are usually very pleasant. The teams and chase boats have zero respect. Remember anchored boats not in the channel have the right of way. Hopefully we can all play nice this year. Tight lines
Old 04-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Striper Hunter

falling debris, kind of like what smashed out plenty of state worker's car windows at the water st lot last year? Yeah I can see that. But if I follow the conversation it doesn’t make sense how they have it all laid out down there...

"They were going to set them up facing east to west but some boats are too long and extend past the overlap of the bridge where debris will fall into the parking lot."

VS

"As work is now being done southbound, they told the rowing club that all equipment (and people handling the equipment) be kept well clear of that zone for safety reasons. Result: all storage (previously on that southbound side, behind the boat shed) had to be moved under the northbound lane. If rotated 90 degrees, the longer rowing boats would cross the center line, risking damage, risking the safety of people handling them, and impeding construction. "

The boats, dock ramps, and everything else is just scattered around the entire area. No matter what lane they work on above, something is in danger below. So unless they are going to commandeer off the entire area, and move stuff around as they work on different sections above 100% leaving clear the space bellow, no matter how they lay things out (nicely packed or strung about everywhere) the items are still at risk! So why not stack them more constructively and share more space for those willing to park in danger? Thats my point.

I have more pictures, proving the stuff is just tossed here and there, and one set of long skulls crosses the centerline EXACTLY like you said is a bad idea above... And calling me out because I am using my head, instead of talking to people in charge, sorry I don’t have the connections you do.

BUT, the people I didn’t want to interrupt an hour ago when I went down to take measurements for fun… The ones with a big blue video camera and 3 others on the opposite of the view finder who looked (judging by their body language and hand signals) rather pissed off at each other, they might have done exactly what you called me out on and contacted someone of DA Collins.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Striper Hunter

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130418_113853.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	16436   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130418_113850.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	16437   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130418_113830.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	16438   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130418_113823.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	16439   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130418_113818.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	16440  

Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Striper Hunter

the two racks under the northbound lane could without a doubt fit east/west on the left of the pylon where they fenced off both lanes above. And if they were really worried about crossing the center line from the lanes above and potentially damage the nose/tail of the boat if they extended past, it would still fit under ONE bound lane. (unlike the rack positioned smack dab in the center of N/S lanes above, contradicting that entire point they made earlier) Just count the fence sections... each lane above is 7 sections wide, the longest skulls on the rack infront of my car is only 6 sections wide. And look at the dock ramp, that’s close to 25-30' long, and it has plenty of room fore and aft to clear one highway lane above.

Looking at the pics, its clear to me without getting some run down by someone in charge, that all their equipment could fit in the northern section fenced off, leaving the other HALF of the truck/trailer parking section (where the rack with yellow/red/white short skulls are, and the rack with long white ones) un-fenced and open to public.

Lastly, there were about 2 dozen cars parked in the trailer only spots... maybe they got tickets?
Old 04-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Striper Hunter

What i got yesterday is what i reported. Here is my question still. The rowers got kicked out of there spot. WHO SAID YOU CAN PUT YOUR BOATS THERE AND TAKE UP PUBLIC PARKING????? Who gave them permission to do that??? Heard of an interview with ch. 13 tonight.