Weekend review ( upper) - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-21-2012, 07:22 AM
Official Member

Default Weekend review ( upper)

On the water at 5 am on Saturday and anchored up fishing the outgoing tide and had height expectations. Well letís just say that was not the case. We launched out of Albany and went north and bounced all over in search of herring after being anchored up for the first hour of light. We found some active herring in the 378 bridge area and then hit a monster school of active herring at the creek. We fished from Troy down to Coeymans hitting over 20 spots from 5-40 ft of water and we couldnít find any active fish at all. Headed out around 4 with one run for the day and a ton of catfish. Water clarity was still off and the temps are rising fast. Didnít see any fish brought in all day.

Launched from Albany again this time in the water and anchored up by 430. Hit the switching tide and then fished the whole outgoing tide. We had plenty of fresh bait left over from the day before so I was freshening up bait every 10 minutes. We beat the river hard again in search of any active fish but it was tough to say the least. Around 9 we did manage to hook up and after a fish landed at 36 inch 16.3 lb striper. Landing that fish would be it for the day and the rest again were catfish.

When arriving at the launch we could obviously see the tide was really low and only had 3 ft of water at best. Somebody launched at 24ft deep cruiser and it was buried in the mud about 15 ft out from the launch. After circling around and watching we decided that we would be able to get our boat out because it is shallow and we would just have to wait for them to get unstuck. While waiting and watching I kept thinking to myself please get that young girl off the front of the boat before she get hurt. Well to make a long story shorter, there buddy tried to pull them out and the rope snapped and nailed the young girl right in the head. The rope opened her head up and she was going into shock very quick. After assisting her to another boat and then to shore and into a waiting vehicle we decided to bag it and head for Bethlehem. Took out down there and headed home after a very long but fun weekend on the river.

To top it all off I was notified yesterday afternoon that I placed 7th in the Castleton tourney. Tough weekend of fishing but still very fun. Iím going to give it one more try this week and try to make an even 40 fish caught for the year. Good luck to those still out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 07:46 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Weekend review ( upper)

Thanks for the great report.