Thanks for making me a better fisherman - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Official Member

Default Thanks for making me a better fisherman

This is my first, and probably my last, post. I only want to thank a man I've never met, but learned so much from. For starters, I started fishing in the Mighty Mac for stripers at the age of 14. Back then, it was casting large spoons just below the Rocks Village Bridge every minute I wasn't in school. I used to sneak out of the house when my parents were asleep and hike 1/4 mile through the woods to fish the gravel bar that held so many big fish (thank God I never got caught, or worse, in a serious situation). When I was about 16, I fished commercially with one of my friends in the Parker River, Ipswich River, and a few assorted rock piles off the shores of Gloucester in a small 16' alluminum boat. Live pogies were our bait of choice. We always brought back dozens of fish (keepers were 36" back then) and plenty of stories. I quit commercial fishing when I was 18, but I've fished just as hard to this very day. I am now 35, and untill last year, I had only caught a handfull of fish that broke the 30 pound mark. Reading through the forums, yours seem to be the ones that ring true with me the most. Sometimes you come right out and say what's working for you, and other times you lead me in the right direction and make me put the pieces of the puzzle together--to me, that is half the fun. I've incorporated your advice, and have become a much better fisherman. Thank you. Your post on "Spots" is probably my favorite, it really hits home and you've put into words what I've felt for many years. I now only hunt and fish with a select few that truly understand how much time and effort (and skunkings) it really takes, and who are not just looking for a quick ride on your coattails. Please keep writing, I'm now looking for the elusive 50 pounder, and I need all the advice I can get!

Thank You Roccus.

Stillearnin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009, 07:37 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Thanks for making me a better fisherman

Don't stop posting now. This site holds lots of great talent. In my 40 years of fishing, I've just "learned" how to fish for Stripers the last few.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:57 AM
First Mate

yep, roc has helped me alot in the past few years throuh both his posts and some pm's, he is simply a striper guru more so then anyone i've seen on here IMHO. i would bet he has more knowledge on stripers then all of us put together......big thanks from me!
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

well even if he doesn't post any more, he's "still earnin" some info in the bank.
i always frowned on lurkers cuz we can use all the member posts and interaction we can muster but, sometimes ya have to look at the benefits of what we've done here collectively and in this case what roc did for this guy, and feel good about it. if he has no time to post or just doesn't like everything else it's cool. he's fished long enough to do what he pleases.

in the beginning we always wanted to help the noob and not be those other sites that sent em away cuz those sites have no patience or care less to be bothered. i hope we never lose track of what it was we always spoke enthusiastically about, and keep in mind any and all our fundamental ways of thinking here. i may goof on fellow members and joke around but are always looking for the opportunity to help someone catch a fish. that is what i joined up here for in the first place the day i met jim and realized what he was all about. great post "stillearnin"