Live in Natick, MA, where to go for 2nd time for stripers? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:58 AM

Default Live in Natick, MA, where to go for 2nd time for stripers?

I went to Plum Island and setup shop with chunk mackerel and clams for my first time of striper fishing. I didn't have any luck, and I don't really have much to go on besides reading this forum lately. I was wondering if I should check out the Cape Canal, being a novice and all. I'm used to freshwater bass fishing, but still learning the ropes on fishing for stripers. Any ideas? Plum Island is a long way off, and so is Cape Canal, but from what I've been reading, seems like the 2 best places to go within reasonable distance. I don't have a boat, so I'm left at the shore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2008, 06:02 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Live in Natick, MA, where to go for 2nd time for stripers?

I really wouldn't recommend a trip to the canal, alone, for your second time striper fishing. It can be a tough place to fish, and very frustrating if you don't know what you're doing there. Having the right gear is key as well,,, sturdy rod with plenty of backbone, reel with strong gears and smooth drag, spooled with heavy line and proper terminal tackle. Except for about 30 minutes at the change of the tide, at select locations, I don't think a place you would be at all comfortable bottom fishing with chunks.

We may be having another gathering there later this year, so if you're up for taking on the canal, that would be a great time to come down and learn from some guys who have been fishing it for a while.

Don't give up on Plum Island either, that area will produce if you fish it right. There are also plenty of areas around Boston Harbor, Gloucester, Plymouth, etc. Do your homework and go fish em! Good luck out there!!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Official Member

The other problem w/ the Canal now is the fish aren't very plentiful in the summer. You'd have better luck during the roughly week or so that the spring or fall migrations last. This year's spring migration was the first week of June and it was almost like shooting fish in a barrel (just slap on a topwater popper and hook up relatively easily)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Striper Hunter

Nick,

I live in Natick and am a novice at fishing the ocean waters. I've done plenty of freshwater fishing and I've been the charter route also. I'm a believer that if you fished for freshwater bass that stripers aren't that different, lots of top water plugs, streamers, worms/sluggo/eels, etc.. Big difference is reading the water and having access to the right spot. From what I've heard the canal is a place best fished with others first until you get a grasp on the right tools/methods. I myself haven't hit it yet but plan to before the years out. They say that 20% of the fishermen catch 80% of the fish. I'm in the 80% that catch 20% of the fish right now, but using this site, and taking advantage of the knowledge that's shared along with the opportunity to join the gatherings is the best way to get into the elusive 20% club! Good luck!

Toe
Old 07-01-2008, 03:58 PM
in awe of real fisherman

Don't count Rhodie out...I work in Framingham two days a week and it is about an hour drive to providence from there...many productive places to chunk in providence,bristol, Barrington, etc...PM me if you want a place or two to try that is novice friendly for chunking...none of them big secrets but I ain't letting the workd know
Old 07-01-2008, 03:59 PM
in awe of real fisherman

Though it is important to remember....there are no fish in RI.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:00 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
I really wouldn't recommend a trip to the canal, alone, for your second time striper fishing. It can be a tough place to fish, and very frustrating if you don't know what you're doing there.
yup...i was introduced to striper fishing at the canal...it was my starting point...i am a sucker for punishment, as the canal kicked my ass soooo many times. it does get easier as you learn though. things do slow down in the summer months as the majority of stripers are migrating fish...they move NORTH...(hint, hint) dont get me wrong there will be large bass to be had all season there, but..each and every one will need to be earned...and they will require a good amount of time and lost tackle to catch. everything baitrunner said is right on.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colad
Though it is important to remember....there are no fish in RI
Dave we missed you JP and Seiggy in Saco.
Food and company was top notch.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:32 PM
in awe of real fisherman

Killed us to miss the pig roast! but it looks like everyone had fun!
Old 07-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Striper Hunter

The Canal is just so brutal.Try the South Shore maybe,Duxbury or Marshfield.